Top Shelf Aquatics

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

The upgrades continue.

Bioreactor: I recently downsized my perfectly fine NextReef SMR-1 to a Cadlights Nano Reactor. It was missing parts (LFS's fault) and dealing with cadlights was an exercise in patience. I had to deal with different people, send multiple emails to get a response, and was mailed the wrong parts twice after explicit instructions. I just pulled my Cadlights reactor and went with a mid size Innovative Marine MiniMax in sump reactor. It makes the cadlights reactor look like an early prototype.

GFO & GAC: After adding the MiniMax, I have decided to stop using Chemipure Elite/Blue Life ClearFX Pro in my filter sock. I just bought two more MiniMaxes and will run GFO and GAC in them. I pray I don't overdue it on the GFO. WIsh me luck!

Heaters: I also upgraded my Cobalt heaters to the 150w versions.

Magnesium: After 2 years of using Kent Tech M for Magnesium dosing, I have decided to switch to BRS Magnesium. I can't help but think I'm putting bad stuff in the tank with how much junk is in the Tech M. I'm currently running Cuprisorb to see if there are any heavy metals I've accumulated that can be pulled out. The BRS Mag is completely clear after sitting overnight.

I still need to downsize my skimmer. Waiting on the Vertex Omega 130 to debut before I make a choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The upgrades continue.

Bioreactor: I recently downsized my perfectly fine NextReef SMR-1 to a Cadlights Nano Reactor. It was missing parts (LFS's fault) and dealing with cadlights was an exercise in patience. I had to deal with different people, send multiple emails to get a response, and was mailed the wrong parts twice after explicit instructions. I just pulled my Cadlights reactor and went with a mid size Innovative Marine MiniMax in sump reactor. It makes the cadlights reactor look like an early prototype.

GFO & GAC: After adding the MiniMax, I have decided to stop using Chemipure Elite/Blue Life ClearFX Pro in my filter sock. I just bought two more MiniMaxes and will run GFO and GAC in them. I pray I don't overdue it on the GFO. WIsh me luck!

Can I ask why two more MiniMaxes? Also, they make a full size version. I'm trying to decide what I will need for my 50 gallon.

Can I ask why two more MiniMaxes? Also, they make a full size version. I'm trying to decide what I will need for my 50 gallon.

I believe it's so different medias can be run independently of others instead of throwing everything in one reactor and wasting some medias due to premature replacement.

Gives you finer control over the flow going into the reactor for each media, too. I find it hard to get GFO to tumble right when I put more then 1 media in my little MiniMax

I believe it's so different medias can be run independently of others instead of throwing everything in one reactor and wasting some medias due to premature replacement.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Medred, reading your thread I added a hanna refractometer to my list of future equipment, I see you since replaced it with the milwaukee, which one would you suggest? I'm willing to pay the price for either.

SouthFlorida_Tron

What's wrong with say a marine depot refractometer? Anything is better than the stupid hydrometer

What's wrong with say a marine depot refractometer? Anything is better than the stupid hydrometer

I have trouble focusing / bad eye-sight, it's a hard for me to read them unfortunately.

Hey Medred, reading your thread I added a hanna refractometer to my list of future equipment, I see you since replaced it with the milwaukee, which one would you suggest? I'm willing to pay the price for either.

I think they are the same, but my Hanna was faulty. The Milwaukee is less expensive and so far has been flawless.

I think they are the same, but my Hanna was faulty. The Milwaukee is less expensive and so far has been flawless.

Good to know. thanx man, appreciate it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yoo how are the candy basslets doing?

Dude, I think you've convinced me to buy one some day in the future lol.

Has it ever try to jump out of your open top?

Yoo how are the candy basslets doing?

Dude, I think you've convinced me to buy one some day in the future lol.

Has it ever try to jump out of your open top?

Last I checked his tank isn't open top.

Yeah, I want to experience that feeling of owning a $700-800 fish. Someday I will get one. Either that or a $700-$800 scolymia. Because I don't want tops over my tank.... Have you ever caught your basslets attempting to jump?

They only ever go near the top of the tank when they are spawning. I wouldn't risk it though. You might make yourself a low profile screen cover to be on the safe side.

They only ever go near the top of the tank when they are spawning. I wouldn't risk it though. You might make yourself a low profile screen cover to be on the safe side.

Yeah, forget it. I'll just get a $700 scolymia later on instead.

llama roadkill

Those Basslets must have cost you an arm and a leg...or all of your limbs AND I assume you sold your should to the devil to afford all of this! :lol:

Archived