ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that the light isn't able to to pool together. If I had a lower scape, atleast some light from the middle of a fixture would make it to the edges. As of now, NO light from the middle can make it to the outsides. It can be storming on one side of the mountain, but the clouds can't pass over it, so it's bone dry on the other. Only rain that originates on that side of the mountain will ever fall. A significant chunk of my SPS real estate is located in these shadows. With a big T5 fixture, I can illuminate these areas, but not get enough pooled up light to get the PAR where I need it. It's less than beautiful, but I'm thinking I'll make a floating canopy that's open on the top and bottom to hide the fixtures.

So here's a FTS with the fixture visible. They're a little crooked as I'd been knocking around in the tank the past few days and forgot to straighten them up before the pic.
LSm0Qcy.jpg?2

Regular FTS: I'm still moving some of the SPS around as I decide where I want them permanently. The mystic sunset on the frag plug is temporary until I can find it a home
c6lzUgS.jpg?1

And here are the PAR values.
Red=Left rear spire 150w Radium M80 Magnetic Ballast
Yellow=Middle front spire 150w Radium Electronic Ballast
Green=Right rear spire 250w Phoenix Electronic Ballast.
huqEQKB.jpg?1

Looks great although I still say you should do a big t5 fixture, perhaps ATI 10 bulb. I'm still hooked by the even coverage only t5s seem to create. Point source lighting looks great for its shimmer but I can live without, and I much rather prefer full and even coverage on my corals.

No matter what you choose your tank will always be one of the greats, the scape is just pure brilliance which was unrealized by myself at its conception.

Thank you MGDMIRAGE! I still need to add 5-6 more SPS and a few more LPS to fill in the vacant area. It's mostly the waiting game and upgrading equipment at this point.

Spirofucci

OMFG!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!!!! My absolute favorite tank on any site.

Hmmmmm? I wonder how long this lighting set up will last??????????? :)

What si up at 800 par? a red planet?

Hellfire Acropora

OMFG!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!!!! My absolute favorite tank on any site.

Ha ha. Hopefully forever... and thank you ;-)

Arkayology

This is the question on everyone's mind lol.

That's so damn sexy I can't stand it.

Obvious next solution is rotating light fixtures on some kind of upside down lazy susan type contraption mounted to ceiling using new holes.

This is the question on everyone's mind lol.

Hopefully I'm done! The LPS and softies don't seem to be suffering and my JBJ Arctica 1/4 is rated for 260 gallons, so heat my other concern of heat should be ok as well.

That's so damn sexy I can't stand it.

Obvious next solution is rotating light fixtures on some kind of upside down lazy susan type contraption mounted to ceiling using new holes.

LMAO!

jedimasterben

Rated for 260g at what temperature delta? I'm sure you'll be fine though, there's a lotta room for error using a chiller that big :)

10º for 260 gallons, 20º for 130 gallons, 30º for 90 gallons. I'm probably 7-9º and have maybe 60 gallons total volume including the sump. I keep my tank at between 78º-80º these days.

jedimasterben

10º for 260 gallons, 20º for 130 gallons, 30º for 90 gallons. I'm probably 7-9º and have maybe 60 gallons total volume including the sump. I keep my tank at between 78º-80º these days.

I'd say you're golden :lol:

Tank looks amazing Med!

Can you post pics of the stirrers and vessels? :D

I'll make a video soon. The stirrers are pretty freaking sweet. I can't believe I was dosing Kent Tech M for so long without a stirrer. I can't even see the stirrer because of how cloudy it is. Before I had a stirrer, the liquid was clear.

Why do I always want stuff I can't have? I've been up half the night trying to figure out how I can get one of these...
994_0.jpg

and one of these...
812_1.jpg
I'd be able to cut down on evaporation and tidy up the sump area better... Plus they look great!

I remember seeing them awhile ago, but now that I'm consolidating equipment, I can deal with a smaller sump footprint that holds the same amount of water.

Archived