Top Shelf Aquatics

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

I am super jealous of that BSJ. I have always wanted one but never could pull the trigger. Glad to see he has been doing well for so long!

He is hands down my favorite fish. He has SOOOO much personality. He doesn't live in a hole anymore. He will make random dug outs here and there, and those will suffice. 90% of the time he's swimming. I just love placing a coral and then seeing him come up and inspect it.

Dude med, don't replace that clown, that clown is really nice looking... ;)

Oh I'm not, I just need to find it a mate. It was the male and the female died unexpectedly. I haven't found a suitable gladiator clown to pair it with.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BSJ's are jerks. So angry all the time. And that's why I love em. Haha. Too bad they're so suicidal... I lost three already- I don't know how the eff they get out of my tank. Not going to get another one until I get a glass top, so I can be SURE they can't get out. Apparently my mesh top can be pushed ajar through repeated attempts to jump out. :tears:

BSJ's are jerks. So angry all the time. And that's why I love em. Haha. Too bad they're so suicidal... I lost three already- I don't know how the eff they get out of my tank. Not going to get another one until I get a glass top, so I can be SURE they can't get out. Apparently my mesh top can be pushed ajar through repeated attempts to jump out. :tears:

Mine also carpet surfed. Obnoxious, really. Difficult to find a healthy one and then once you do, the little @(*#&^)! go carpet surfing. I love them but since I have HOB filtration I'm going to have to come up with something clever to keep my next one wet...

That sad to hear you guys. I've had the top off of my tank for extended periods of time. Once I had the top off pretty much all day. I was watching TV later that evening and heard a noise. Sure enough, the BSJ had jumped. He was shaken up but completely ok. The top never goes off the tank unless I'm around, and I always do a fish count to make sure everyone is accounted for.

I found one dried up...

The other my brother found with the bottom of his foot... I had seen the big guy in the tank (just fed him) like two minutes before he got squished. Somehow he made it through egg crate, despite being full grown.

The third, I am yet to find. -_- I found the mesh top, which is 48" by 14" of 1/4" mesh and screen framing... slightly popped off at the corner. I suspect he ended up in the belly of one of my dogs or cats.

He is hands down my favorite fish. He has SOOOO much personality. He doesn't live in a hole anymore. He will make random dug outs here and there, and those will suffice. 90% of the time he's swimming. I just love placing a coral and then seeing him come up and inspect it.

That's really interesting! :huh: I've never seen a BSJF behave like that- he must be very comfortable in the tank to do that (I've heard that in the wild they can stay pretty far away from their burrows). Do you have a video of it?

That's really interesting! :huh: I've never seen a BSJF behave like that- he must be very comfortable in the tank to do that (I've heard that in the wild they can stay pretty far away from their burrows). Do you have a video of it?

Yeah... I'm sure he just thinks of the entire tank as his borrow. None of the tank mates ever bother him. It's after 3:00 am and he's out swimming. My previous BSJ would turn in for the night in his burrow and cover the entrance after it got too late. I'm most happy that he readily eats pellets. I'm going to make a high def video of my tank in the near future. I'll be sure to give him some spotlight.

Hey Med, how do you dip the new corals before adding them to your DT?

also, it sucks that I have to scroll through pages in this thread without a FTS. pictures please!

lol. I'll get to work on it soon, I promise. I have the acans on frag racks, and I need to wait for them to open up enough so that I can see where to place them by size and color. I do dip my corals using Revive or CoralRX... whichever I have handy. I normally dip for a little longer than directed.

So I've got a 30 gallons of saltwater made with my old RO/DI system that was registering 3-4 TDS before I took it offline. I'm going to use the water as I don't think it will be the death of me. I decided to make my bio pellet system more efficient just to give me piece of mind. I use to have the reactor exit near the inlet of the skimmer. I added an elbow to the tubing and now have it exit going directly into the inlet of the the skimmer.

let's see how this works out!

Grow baby grow. Looks so good.

Thanks Dan!

Whats that piece of euphyllia on the bottom-left of the rocks?

The dendros/candies/bsjf/EVERYTHING is amazing!

It was some random torch I found at the LFS. Thanks for the compliment!

Really diggin the dendros, Med. Now where are those acans you just picked up?

Thanks kgoldy!... The acans are little frags on the middle of the right spire. They are still a little pissed.

Archived