Coral Vue Hydros

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

peroxide dip, never heard of that.

What does that get rid of

So, I'm curious here also. I've used peroxide to kill algae before (just recently actually), but I have never used it on a frag. What ratio did you use to dip the dendro and did you notice any major side effects on the coral?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
peroxide dip, never heard of that.

What does that get rid of

It kills algae

Med... Everything is looking amazing!

I think looking at your thread has given me some motivation to finally get off my ass, and get my Solana set up once again!

Thanks bro!!!

B)

Thanks David! Do it!

go for it David

+1

So, I'm curious here also. I've used peroxide to kill algae before (just recently actually), but I have never used it on a frag. What ratio did you use to dip the dendro and did you notice any major side effects on the coral?

I used full strength peroxide in a cup and dipped them for 2-3 minutes. There were no ill effects. They are all open and happy now. I've dipped zoas for 30 seconds for zoas that had been in my tank for awhile (meaning that they weren't stressed or needing to acclimate). Zoas can shrink back after a dip, but they usually bounce back just fine. I've only done zoas and LPS. I've never dipped an SPS before.

WOW!

Thanks!

So which fixtures do you think is better the sol or the radion? Trying to decide on a led fixture

I'd like to hear your opinion on this as well. I've been following your threads here and on RC and doing a lot of reading on the Radion and finaly decided to go with it, but I haven't bought it yet and I like to know your opinion since you have one.

So which fixtures do you think is better the sol or the radion? Trying to decide on a led fixture

I'd like to hear your opinion on this as well. I've been following your threads here and on RC and doing a lot of reading on the Radion and finaly decided to go with it, but I haven't bought it yet and I like to know your opinion since you have one.

The Radion is better, it's jut not as user friendly. When I first hung the Radions, I could tell the difference between the Radions and the AIs, but didn't think it was worth the price difference is budget was a concern. After having them for a month, I can see a huge difference in the actual coloration of corals in the tank. My zoas have stronger colors (they were a little washed out). My SPS have stronger colors and I'm getting a lot of new growth (which I haven't had since the alk swing). My Red Planet is finally turning red. I just viewed my crocea from the top and it's a lot richer green than it was before. I think it was money well spent.

This may sound funny so excuse me if it does but do you notice a difference in the shimmer between the sol and radion. When I have seen some of the LED fixtures in the stores the shimmer is a little more static or frantic than tranquil and subtle like with halides. I'm just curious if the shimmer more closely resembles that of halides with the optics being used now and if you notice a difference between the sol and radion optics.

All that talk and no picture. Lol jk messing with you!

Happy early thanksgiving Med!

Ha ha. Same do you D!

This may sound funny so excuse me if it does but do you notice a difference in the shimmer between the sol and radion. When I have seen some of the LED fixtures in the stores the shimmer is a little more static or frantic than tranquil and subtle like with halides. I'm just curious if the shimmer more closely resembles that of halides with the optics being used now and if you notice a difference between the sol and radion optics.

I would say that the shimmer is still frantic, but the shadow is more subdued than the AI fixtures.

I just picked up a harlequin shrimp! feeding it asterinas. I have it in the reef acclimate that i used in the beginning for the cheato. I'm going to collect asterinas daily and feed the shrimp. Hopefully this means my Coralline will have a chance. I'm really loving all of the new SPS growth and color. I also just picked up my very first plate coral! may it wander the sand in peace.

This tank is stunning. I love the scape you got going on and the coral placement just looks natural.

Thanks gulfsurfer! I try really hard to place corals at the angles the work with the rock work. If I don't like something where it is, I have no problem prying it off and moving it somewhere else.

thats amazing to hear how corals seem to like the Radions better

Yeah... big difference in a month!

This tank is amazing! Great diversity.

+1

Thank you guys!

Thanks MedRed! I am glad to hear that some of your stuff is coloring up nicely. I have a couple of the same corals as you do, and a similar clam and I am hoping to see the same results as my colors are a little more washed out than I like.

Is it wrong that i feel bad for this chocolate chip starfish that's being eaten alive by my harlequin shrimp?

My wife won't let me get one of these because of this. :angry:

i felt the exact same way when i had my harleys! but eventually i got used to it. well more used to it. sort of.

My wife won't let me get one of these because of this. :angry:

It's so morbid. I added the starfish upside down. The Harlequin immediately ran over and stuck his claws into the underside of the starfish. Do these guys have toxins or not? Most sources say they don't. He left his claws in for a few moments and then began to feed. Later, I looked and saw that the starfish had arched itself upward... almost as if it was in agony. It has since slumped to the side somewhat. The realization that this small shrimp is going to eat this starfish alive is crazy! At least the star is a reef destroying chocolate chip.

They really should import small crown of thorns for Harlequin consumption. I guess the worry would be that they'd end up in reefs in other reefs.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ya, everytime I come in here I think back to that scene from Wayne's world.....

"WERE NOT WORTHY! WERE NOT WORTHY! WERE NOT WORTHY! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: "

Ya, everytime I come in here I think back to that scene from Wayne's world.....

"WERE NOT WORTHY! WERE NOT WORTHY! WERE NOT WORTHY! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: "

Whatever, Tron. I need some SPS growth like what you've got going on.

Archived