Innovative Marine Aquariums

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

Sounds like an adventure man! If it were me id be cussing and throwin crap the whole time and once I got it out the fish would be in the front of the tank laughin at me!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like an adventure man! If it were me id be cussing and throwin crap the whole time and once I got it out the fish would be in the front of the tank laughin at me!

lol. I got lucky. My previous adventures with this fish lead to me having a sinking feeling seeing him dart into a hole after I walked up to the tank. I'm halfway expecting him to find a way to escape from the cup

Your story of catching the blenny reminds me of trying to capture a juvenile tang in my column...

Since I had a pillar essentially in the middle of the tank, we played merry go round for a good long while (although I don't recall swearing as much when I used to play on merry go rounds as a kid...) until I came up with the idea of barricading his path with gallon ziploc bags. It still wasn't the cleanest or quickest catch but disorienting him seemed to be half the battle and it was cleaner and quicker.

Your story of catching the blenny reminds me of trying to capture a juvenile tang in my column...

Since I had a pillar essentially in the middle of the tank, we played merry go round for a good long while (although I don't recall swearing as much when I used to play on merry go rounds as a kid...) until I came up with the idea of barricading his path with gallon ziploc bags. It still wasn't the cleanest or quickest catch but disorienting him seemed to be half the battle and it was cleaner and quicker.

I feel your pain. The first time I was able to catch him by using a chopstick to get him to dart out of whatever hole he was in. It took a LONG while, but I was able to do it.

The second time took a lot longer, and a Finally was able to catch him by putting the net over the hole and poking the chopstick through the netting so that he escaped into the net.

That didn't work at all for the third time I tried to catch him. I spent all day (off and on) trying to catch him, but had no luck at all.

Awesome tank :)

Thanks Sushi!

Glad to hear everything went well!

Thank you! I was nervous for sure. I love it when things go well!

Did you ever get around to raiding MrCoral's acans? I just took a look over at the $10 section and almost every acan he has up there right now is LIMIT 1. Figured you might be at fault. :P

Did you ever get around to raiding MrCoral's acans? I just took a look over at the $10 section and almost every acan he has up there right now is LIMIT 1. Figured you might be at fault. :P

They've not shipped yet. They are supposed to ship on Monday.

I ordered a new, higher capacity RO/DI system with an inline TDS Monitor. It's awesome to just flip a switch and see what my TDS readings look like.

16lwv8p.jpg

2vlsk9k.jpg

I picked up quite a few real dendros. SCORE! My lettuce slugs often detach from a rock and allow the current to take them to a new place. I've been afraid of the Vortechs chopping them up, but this morning I realized the dendros are the biggest danger! I watched one drift right into the tentacles of a dendro. The dendro immediately tried to eat it! I freed it and it floated right into the next dendro which also tried to eat it! If I hadn't been there, I'd have been down a lettuce slug!

1112czp.jpg

New Tiger Blenny

2d0awsm.jpg

amqz38.jpg

I FINALLY was able to find some Spiny Star Astrea snails. Holy crap it's taken me almost a year!

2yuje2q.jpg

Candies

hsl3ix.jpg

ea35fs.jpg

No FTS this time. I'll do that after my acans arrive and coral farmers market.

I didn't like any of the pics I took of the helfrichi's so I'll try again later.

I agree bencollinz. I love Airwaterice.com

I've noticed that my Tiger Blenny has a very different demeanor from the Tail Spot Blennies I've owned. The TSB's tend to be a bit skittish when I'm at the tank. They ignored me somewhat when I was feeding them, but most of the time they'd back into a hole if I was at the tank. Their normal behavior was to swim in the open water pecking at things, and then back into a hole.

The Tiger doesn't use a hole at all. He perches out in the open and isn't afraid of me being near him. His body seems a little more rigid than the TSB, so that may explain the difference in one preferring to perch and one preferring to swim or hang out of a hole. I really like the Tiger, but I miss my TSB :-(.

Tonight, I was using the long armed algae scraper to rake over the sand. My BSJ moved out of the way and had part of his body inside the base of the rock work and part of it hanging out. One of the candies came up and nudged his tail! He didn't bite or nip him, and it wasn't a violent push. The best way to describe it would be if someone tapped your shoulder and said excuse me to get you to move. The BSJ completely ignored the candy! I thought it was so funny. The candy did it 3x and finally the BSJ moved on his own accord. It's nice to know the candies are well mannered.

Speak of the BSJ. I added a few more ricordeas (more on that in a minute) and decided to add some more Sexy shrimp. Nothing in the tank has bothered my existing sexies... so I didn't think anything of dumping the new ones into the tank. The freaking BSJ ATE one of them as it fell through the water column! ARGHHH! He's such a little butt face. lol.

Today I headed to the Southwestern Coral Farmers Market. It was about an hour away. I picked up some sweet rics, zoas, and an acan. I really need a bunch more ricordeas to fill out my garden. My anemone porcelain crabs, the sexies, and my anemone shrimp all fight (crabs win) over the limited ric garden I currently have. I have quite an area I can expand it to which will accommodate everyone.

I still haven't had any luck finding a suitable replacement for my clown. Doni's reef hasn't had a good gladiator in quite a while :-(

That blenny is nice. I love their personalities. They are one of the most dog like of the fishes just followin you around hoping youll drop some food! My saddle is nuts, he started out real shy and not eating but after a few weeks he became um well fed and quite sassy. The best is when my wife was using the red flashlight the other night while actinics were on trying to find our tiger pistol, the blenny started following it like a cat with a laser. He was mesmerized by it and kept trying tho eat it and charge the glass at at the flashlight!

Nice score on the RO unit. I added the same tds meter to mine a while back. Ive always wondered about its accuracy since mine is setup with the IN coming from the ro unit and the OUT coming after its gone through the DI. My RO is normally 0-002ppm and the DI 0. I guess its gotta be close cause basically when membrane and prefilters are new its 0 then when the prefilters need replacing its 001(it also fluctuates because I have a drinking water system on mine with a holding tank which tends to get tds creep of 001-003) then when the membrane is getting worn itll be 001-002 no matter how new the prefilters are...is that number on yours coming from your tap water or RO? Can you post the model you got? Im about to just buy a new setup because I need to replace the membrane and prefilters right now and its just a few more bucks to get a new system. Mines like 4 years old plus made for drinking water so my membrane in only 14gpd. Its SLOW.

Do you have yours hooked up with a drinking system? If so does your air gap faucet make a ton of noise when water is being made? I tried a 75gpd membrane in mine and it sounded like my faucet was preparing for take off! lol Wonder if a new system will produce the same noise...if it does id have to return it cause its crazy loud and the wife moans about it repeatedly.

That blenny is nice. I love their personalities. They are one of the most dog like of the fishes just followin you around hoping youll drop some food! My saddle is nuts, he started out real shy and not eating but after a few weeks he became um well fed and quite sassy. The best is when my wife was using the red flashlight the other night while actinics were on trying to find our tiger pistol, the blenny started following it like a cat with a laser. He was mesmerized by it and kept trying tho eat it and charge the glass at at the flashlight!

Nice score on the RO unit. I added the same tds meter to mine a while back. Ive always wondered about its accuracy since mine is setup with the IN coming from the ro unit and the OUT coming after its gone through the DI. My RO is normally 0-002ppm and the DI 0. I guess its gotta be close cause basically when membrane and prefilters are new its 0 then when the prefilters need replacing its 001(it also fluctuates because I have a drinking water system on mine with a holding tank which tends to get tds creep of 001-003) then when the membrane is getting worn itll be 001-002 no matter how new the prefilters are...is that number on yours coming from your tap water or RO? Can you post the model you got? Im about to just buy a new setup because I need to replace the membrane and prefilters right now and its just a few more bucks to get a new system. Mines like 4 years old plus made for drinking water so my membrane in only 14gpd. Its SLOW.

Funny on the red light! I really like the Ecsenius blennies. The high number is coming from the tap. I think my output number is accurate as it matches my handheld TDS meter. I got the inline meter just so I had a 2nd opinion. This is the model I bought.

Do you have yours hooked up with a drinking system? If so does your air gap faucet make a ton of noise when water is being made? I tried a 75gpd membrane in mine and it sounded like my faucet was preparing for take off! lol Wonder if a new system will produce the same noise...if it does id have to return it cause its crazy loud and the wife moans about it repeatedly.

I'm not using it for drinking water. I'm using a faucet connection since I'm in an apartment. I don't think it makes a lot of noise until it hits the membrane.

Cute fish! following your thread.

Cute fish! following your thread.

Thank you Metrokat!

:o awesome additions!

For ricordeas I definitely recommend you to CoralMorphologic, I ordered off them a a few days ago and my order was spectacluar! They even included 2 free bonus rics! Plus they just have the best ricordea out there, check 'em out when they add new stuff (They normally make a post here on NR when they do, order that night! Or all the good stuff goes!)

PS: moar pics ;)

I'm too afraid to add more fish! I just need to replace my clown.

Mr. Coral order came this morning. I've already acclimated and dipped. I'm just waiting for everything to come out and so I can decide where to place them...

True to form, my BSJ inspected and then claimed them. (I have the rest of the frags on another rack... 24 frags in all, 20 of them acans).

30w1t0w.jpg

Med.....

Love the tank! You've really got some "high dollar" stuff there, especially the candy basslet pair and the helfrichi!

The dendros really look sweet too!

Med,

Do you have a glass top over your tank. I thought I remembered a top being there but not certain. I ask because if there is one in place, did/do you have any concerns about the led's losing PAR through the glass.

Med.....

Love the tank! You've really got some "high dollar" stuff there, especially the candy basslet pair and the helfrichi!

The dendros really look sweet too!

Thank you basser! I'll take a FTS after I get the acans seated

Med,

Do you have a glass top over your tank. I thought I remembered a top being there but not certain. I ask because if there is one in place, did/do you have any concerns about the led's losing PAR through the glass.

I do have a glass top. These lights put out so much PAR that I was bleaching the corals at the bottom of the tank at 50% for two hours setting... and that was with the top. I now start off at 30% and max out at 70% for 2 hours and then come back down into dusk. I've just bumped it up that high, so we'll see if the corals are ok.

Archived