Coral Vue Hydros

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks animalmaster!

my remaining clown has been really vicious every time i stick my hands in the tank. This just started this week. I always get bit twice. Even If I remove my hand after getting bit twice and stick my had back in the tank, I get bit two more times! Today I moved a couple of cars and probably ended up getting bit 10-12 times! little bugger.

I hated that when I had an established clown in my last tank. It's just doing what it's doing when it gets comfortable in "its place." I found scaring it with my hand a few times kept it from attacking me as much. You just need to show him/her who the bigger fish is. He/She will then know its place.

Beautiful pair med!Dont worry about them too much they are very shy and love to have caves to hide in when nervous.

Thanks Hype!

Those firefish squeeze into the tiniest holes in the rock to hide, especially at night.

Lookin good, Med. Can't wait to see the new acans.

Thanks goldy! I can't wait for them to arrive either!

I hated that when I had an established clown in my last tank. It's just doing what it's doing when it gets comfortable in "its place." I found scaring it with my hand a few times kept it from attacking me as much. You just need to show him/her who the bigger fish is. He/She will then know its place.

It's annoying! It doesn't hurt, but it definitely startles every time, even when I'm expecting it. It's crazy because he/she was the male before and was EXTREMELY timid. I tried chasing it with my hand, but I just ended up getting bit after I finished. I really need to find a replacement though. I'm getting nervous as I haven't seen what I need on Doni's site.

It's annoying! It doesn't hurt, but it definitely startles every time, even when I'm expecting it. It's crazy because he/she was the male before and was EXTREMELY timid. I tried chasing it with my hand, but I just ended up getting bit after I finished. I really need to find a replacement though. I'm getting nervous as I haven't seen what I need on Doni's site.

A few years back I saw some pics of a guy that got bit by a clown and it drew blood... actually a pretty bloody pic too. If I thought I could find it again I'd go digging. Ever since then I have always had a red flag in the back of my mind about getting clowns again.... but it's always the expected fish for a saltwater tank (hobbyist or otherwise).

A few years back I saw some pics of a guy that got bit by a clown and it drew blood... actually a pretty bloody pic too. If I thought I could find it again I'd go digging. Ever since then I have always had a red flag in the back of my mind about getting clowns again.... but it's always the expected fish for a saltwater tank (hobbyist or otherwise).

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg I have break it of this habit!

Thanks animalmaster!

my remaining clown has been really vicious every time i stick my hands in the tank. This just started this week. I always get bit twice. Even If I remove my hand after getting bit twice and stick my had back in the tank, I get bit two more times! Today I moved a couple of cars and probably ended up getting bit 10-12 times! little bugger.

Dude, bout spit coffee across the room when I read that! I thought I was the only one that dealt with that. Ive been in the closet about it being a puss this whole time! This B#%CH has been bitin me for 5 Fing years

S1110002.jpg

Yeah, see that blur? Thats my Fing insane clown posse...

You swat your hand at mine! Be my guest fish whisperer lol. I even added scarlet hermits on someones advice a few years ago. Said they were a natural predator in the wild...yeah right

S1070010.jpg

lol @ insane clown posse! I don't know if I can deal with getting bit every time my hand is in the tank. Your poor hermits :-(

Yeah, im with ya. Ive learned to just put some food in the tank before I enter it. It at least gives her something to do with her evil time while i do what I gotta do! Other than that, I think the old adage of "keep your hands out of the tank" is what shes trying to get across to me. Tanks do better that way anyhow so hey its a plus right?

Yeah, I about didnt believe what i was seeing when I noticed that giant hermit being eaten by the lobo. Its one of the crazier things ive seen in my reefs over the years for sure. lol that thing was HUGE.

The funniest part was when it crapped the shell back out!

No, I feel the same way and they wont be a part of my new tank at all except 2 VERY small blue legs that have proven to be harmless in the temp bin the whole time they were in there. Also there are no other shells in the tank so they gotta fight each other for the others. Duel to the death hermit style!

beautiful fish med! those first couple days are always the worst…when the fish are still nervous and hide a lot. i'm always around the tank with a flashlight taking role call while the gf is telling me to get back to bed lol.

No, I feel the same way and they wont be a part of my new tank at all except 2 VERY small blue legs that have proven to be harmless in the temp bin the whole time they were in there. Also there are no other shells in the tank so they gotta fight each other for the others. Duel to the death hermit style!

lol. what if they grow?

beautiful fish med! those first couple days are always the worst…when the fish are still nervous and hide a lot. i'm always around the tank with a flashlight taking role call while the gf is telling me to get back to bed lol.

that just made me seriously lol. I know the feeling!

Gorgeous fish Med, sorry about all your troubles.

Thanks MGDMIRAGE. Everything is looking good now.

On another note... where in the heck to my firefish hide at night? Last night I freaked out after performing a late night water change and realizing one of the firefish was nowhere to be found. It was there before I took the lid off. I had to leave the room a couple of times in the process of changing the water. I turned the light on and looked for it. I couldn't find it anywhere! I checked the floor and saw no sign of it. I finally gave up and hoped for the best. This morning they were both out and swimming. I noticed that tonight they both have disappeared. Where in the heck do they hide? I can see pretty much everything in the tank.

My firefish had a "bolt hole" in a rock that he slept in. I think that's pretty common for firefish.

That pair is dope man.

True story...

I had a pair of helfrichi also. One day I did some tank maintenance and re-scaping. I took out one of the large rocks and placed it on a table. A few minutes later, I noticed both of them flopping around on the tabletop! Needless to say, I was surprised and immediately scooped them up and plopped them back in the tank. I'm glad to say they both made it fine.

True story...

I had a pair of helfrichi also. One day I did some tank maintenance and re-scaping. I took out one of the large rocks and placed it on a table. A few minutes later, I noticed both of them flopping around on the tabletop! Needless to say, I was surprised and immediately scooped them up and plopped them back in the tank. I'm glad to say they both made it fine.

good to know. I still haven't found their hiding places yet. They have to be deep inside these rocks!

My sixline was like that. I had absolutely no idea where he went every night for over a year until I had to hunt a worm in the middle of the night for months on end. One night im slowly scanning for the worm with a red flashlight and I realized I was looking at an eye! I have no idea how in the heck that fish gets in suck a tight place! I cant believe they dont need to move while sleeping...

good to know. I still haven't found their hiding places yet. They have to be deep inside these rocks!

I'm lucky my firefish has a den right at the front of the tank :)

Awesome looking tank med!!

Pleasure was all mine meeting you today. Thank you for the rock.

I have to say that pics do not do your tank justice.

It was nice meeting you as well! Thanks for the kind words Dan! I start your build thread! lol.

For everyone else, I've been meaning to take pics, but I've had an ugly container in my tank. I still really wanted to replace my tailspot blenny with a tiger blenny. I thought the tiger blenny's crazy pattern and color would be a nice addition over the more subdued colors of the tailspot. I didn't mind that the tailspot's colors were subdued, but I had two subdued fish with a similar color pattern (the tanaka's wrasse being the other).

I hadn't seen a tiger blenny on DD in awhile. One finally popped up... So I bought it. Next... I realized I had to do SOMETHING to get the tailspot out so it didn't kill the tiger. I'd caught the tailspot twice before, but it escaped from my acclimate container both times. The 3rd time I tried ALL day to catch it, but it had become way too smart to fall for my tricks again. With way more coral now, there was no way I'd be able to maneuver a net in my tank without destroying it. I had to come up with a plan that didn't involve a net. My tailspot really likes the two pillars on the left. I decided I was going to let it back into a hole and then remove the entire pillar. This was obviously HIGHLY risky. I risked breaking the pillar and/or breaking off corals. I decided I'd do the back left pillar since it wouldn't be as ugly if something did go wrong.

I had to wait until the tailspot was in the hole. I put my finger over the hole and realized that A ) there might be an escape hatch to his hole and B ) There was no way I was going to be able to lift the entire pillar out while keeping my finger on this hole. The pillar is heavy and was awkward to try and grab.

I decided to use a piece of epoxy to plug the hole. By now the tail spot was super wary. I was afraid he wouldn't go back in his hole or that he'd jet if he saw me moving towards him again. I had to wait 15 minutes for him to use that hole again. He went in, and I plugged him in with fresh epoxy. I had to get a step stool to properly reach into the tank and get a good hold on the pillar. I had to break it away from the epoxy that connected it to the other two pillars. I carefully removed it while only knocking off one SPS (cleanly broke off at the epoxy that was holding it) I was praying that there wasn't a secondary hole that the tailspot had escaped out of. I pulled it out and hoped that if he hadn't escaped, he could be easily coaxed out without having to submerge the pillar in a bucket and hoping for magic.

I removed the piece of epoxy. The tailspot stared at me for one second and then promptly plopped on the floor. Success! I grabbed a breathing container with a lid and dumped him in it. I made sure the lid was secure and then added him back to the tank. I was surprised to see how clean the sand was underneath where the pillar was. I stirred it up so the filter sock would pick up any detritus and swept it out towards the glass. I was able to maneuver the spire back in place without much hassle.

All in all the mission was a success! I epoxied the SPS piece back on the pillar. I even found a chalice that I thought had long perished. It was right underneath the "clam stand" I'd built into the pillar. It was browned out but hadn't receded at all. I epoxied it in place. The Tail spot is pissed, but he's doing well. I need to find him a good home. I'm happy that this risky venture went so smoothly.

I'm lucky my firefish has a den right at the front of the tank :)

Awesome looking tank med!!

Thanks Paigee! I just found out where they had. They go into the main cavern at the back of the tank. I'm surprised the candies allow it. They use that entrance all of the time. The helfrichis aren't afraid of the basslets at all, but they definitely don't care for the BSJ. He doesn't bother them at all, but whatever side of the tank he's on, the helfrichis are on the opposite. If he switches sides, they automatically flow to the other side.

Archived