Cultivated Reef

Dan's 60 gallon cube

dan06277

09-16-11

IMG_3688.jpg

And so it begins. Here is the latest money pit. It is a 24" cube made by Visio. The equipment will be as follows:

Sump- 22x20 custom 3 chamber sump designed by Urchinhead

Refugium- Chaeto added

Skimmer- SWC 160 Cone

Return Pump- Mag 7 Mag 9 with 3/4" eductor

Water Movement- MP 40 (added)

Chiller- Current 1/10 HP

Chiller Rtn- Mag 3

Lighting- DIY LED/T-5 combo

So now I sit and wait for goodie boxes to start coming. Thanks for looking. Feedback is always appreciated.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a sweet looking cube!

Should be fun to follow.

Thanks latte. I'm pretty excited.

Reminds me a little of my cube! It looks really nice though. Do you have any plans for stocking yet? Just curious. :happy:

Mixed reef. Softies and LPS in the lower half and mostly montis. I've never had much luck with Acro's.

I like it....

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sump is all in and leak tested as well as the overflow drains. Plumbing is all done. My light stand is completed as well.

Sump (front view)

IMG_3654.jpg

Sump (rear)

IMG_3656.jpg

DIY Light Stand for LED's

IMG_3657.jpg

Herbie Drains and Return

IMG_3659.jpg

Cord Management (Needed)

IMG_3658.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looking good! These 60g cubes are popping up everywhere! I need to start my solana XL60 thread soon!

Looking forward to details of your light build.

Nice plumbing and handy work! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks Med. Hard work trying to keep up with your system.

Nice! I am process of building my Visio 60 cube setup right now as well.

I am really with this tank.

Looking good! These 60g cubes are popping up everywhere! I need to start my solana XL60 thread soon!

Looking forward to details of your light build.

I will add some details tomorrow on this.

roger-ebert-two-thumbs-up.jpg

Thanks Blue.

Very jealous Danny! That is my dream tank for sure. What are your stocking ideas for fish? C.J.

Thanks CJ. I saw your thread the other day. It is coming along nicely. I was impressed with your QT set-up.

Sweet cube, can't wait to see what you do. Your sump looks excellent too!

Thanks MGD. The sump came out nice but doesn't leave much room for anything else.

I finished up the LED build today. Tomorrow will be cord management and final equipment placement. Then water Friday. Feedback is always welcomed.

Radio Shack project box.

IMG_3680.jpg

DC Output side

IMG_3681.jpg

AC Input side

IMG_3682.jpg

Dimmers

IMG_3684.jpg

36 Bridgelux Bulbs, 17 RB, 13 W, 2 Red, 4 UV, 24x10 heatsink

IMG_3676.jpg

View from the outside

IMG_3678.jpg

Your neighbors must think you're bringing frankenstein to life in there. LOL. Nice work. I see a glimpse of some preliminary aquascaping in one of the pics.

I finished up the LED build today. Tomorrow will be cord management and final equipment placement. Then water Friday. Feedback is always welcomed.

Radio Shack project box.

IMG_3680.jpg

DC Output side

IMG_3681.jpg

AC Input side

IMG_3682.jpg

Dimmers

IMG_3684.jpg

36 Bridgelux Bulbs, 17 RB, 13 W, 2 Red, 4 UV, 24x10 heatsink

IMG_3676.jpg

View from the outside

IMG_3678.jpg

Looks great and very clean. I definitely like the M-input connectors. You will have to let me know if it seems to get hot in the project box with those dimmers. I was tempted to do that too, but was worried how hot they would get.

Did you basically do the power wiring just like I did to the fixture?

Where did you get those grommets that you used from for the AC input side of the project box? I got some at Lowe's and I didn't like them.

You did a very nice job!

Looks great and very clean. I definitely like the M-input connectors. You will have to let me know if it seems to get hot in the project box with those dimmers. I was tempted to do that too, but was worried how hot they would get.

Did you basically do the power wiring just like I did to the fixture?

Where did you get those grommets that you used from for the AC input side of the project box? I got some at Lowe's and I didn't like them.

You did a very nice job!

Thanks BJ. Yes, I pretty much wired everything like you did. I am going to add some sort of connector on the leads that attach to the +/- of the stars instead of hardwired to the LED. That was an afterthought (oversight). This will help with cord management as well.

As for the grommets, they came from Radio Shack. They came in a package with assorted sizes so I was able to match the hole/wire pretty close. I will keep you posted on the project box temp.

Archived