Pod Your Reef

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

Can't wait to see the firefish in there! That's so exciting! I just got a regular old firefish, they're pretty awesome. Glad you have a cover already, I have one but I'm going to replace it with netting. I would have lost the fish within 5 minutes of it going in the tank without one :P

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't wait to see the firefish in there! That's so exciting! I just got a regular old firefish, they're pretty awesome. Glad you have a cover already, I have one but I'm going to replace it with netting. I would have lost the fish within 5 minutes of it going in the tank without one :P

I thought about going w/ netting, but my tank stays under 80 degrees, and my air is really dry (read lots of evaporation without a cover)

So my lights are hung from the ceiling now and are 12" above the surface of the tank. I MUCH prefer the light spread and diffusion over my previous 6" distance hanging arm set up. I decided to go back to the 40º optics and did not like it at all! The tank was much darker overall, and there were lots of areas that were previously receiving light that were in complete darkness with the 40º optics. I decided to go back to the 70º optics, and I like the look much better.

For a moment I thought that if I'd hung my light from the ceiling in the first place, I could have saved on an entire fixture and additional optics. I am glad for the optics and especially glad for two fixtures. The odd shape of my scape coupled with one fixture would have severely crippled the amount of corals I could have added because of all of the shadows it creates. I miss two things from Metal Halide... color and spread.

sorry Mitch, but you should read more. Lol

med said he have a glass cover already..

Oh, I get lazy about reading.

Anyways, can't wait to see these firefish!

Pair of firefish! SWEET.

Can't wait to see em.

Me too! Tomorrow!

Hey med how are the candy basslets?

They are doing extremely well. They are quite comical to watch. They've spawned twice that i've seen. This morning I had a scare as I only saw one at feeding time. The other was farting around in the rocks and popped out just as I went to look around the back of the tank.

They are doing extremely well. They are quite comical to watch. They've spawned twice that i've seen. This morning I had a scare as I only saw one at feeding time. The other was farting around in the rocks and popped out just as I went to look around the back of the tank.

Thats awesome man. Im really glad to hear that. ..

New guests! getting ready to acclimate and then quarantine

51x5ol.jpg

Wow, beautiful fish! Are these Purple fire fish? What's their behavior like? Do they hide a lot or mostly swim in the open? Sorry for all the questions but I am looking for fish for my Solana and these look great.

Wow, beautiful fish! Are these Purple fire fish? What's their behavior like? Do they hide a lot or mostly swim in the open? Sorry for all the questions but I am looking for fish for my Solana and these look great.

They are Helfrichi Firefish. I've never owned a firefish before, but I imagine that they stay in the water column. Live aquaria has a small right up on their requirements.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=171

Tank is looking good. I just ordered replacement acans! I imagine they'll be here by friday or so. I did some rearranging for some of the corals. I bought quite a few real dendros that came out of Vivid Aquariums display tank. I moved the sun corals to make room for them. I also moved a favia whose sweepers had killed one side of a war coral. The last thing I had to move were my gonoiporas that were midway up the tank. Before I pushed the scape back towards the back wall of the tank, the gonoiporas were always out. After that, they were under the direct light of the LED's. Apparently they don't like it and have been retracted ever since (the areas that were shaded still come out). I moved them to shadier areas. One is already putting its polyps out, the other needs some TLC as its really bleached on top.

On another note... where in the heck to my firefish hide at night? Last night I freaked out after performing a late night water change and realizing one of the firefish was nowhere to be found. It was there before I took the lid off. I had to leave the room a couple of times in the process of changing the water. I turned the light on and looked for it. I couldn't find it anywhere! I checked the floor and saw no sign of it. I finally gave up and hoped for the best. This morning they were both out and swimming. I noticed that tonight they both have disappeared. Where in the heck do they hide? I can see pretty much everything in the tank.

I also just bought a hanna calcium checker. Hopefully i don't have problems with it like others seem to. Doni's Reef hasn't posted a suitable replacement clown yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I will probably need to find homes for my lettuce slugs. The bryopsis is gone now, so there's nothing left for them to eat.

It's also time to replace my RO filters. I'm going to add an inline TDS meter.

Thanks animalmaster!

my remaining clown has been really vicious every time i stick my hands in the tank. This just started this week. I always get bit twice. Even If I remove my hand after getting bit twice and stick my had back in the tank, I get bit two more times! Today I moved a couple of cars and probably ended up getting bit 10-12 times! little bugger.

Archived