Top Shelf Aquatics

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

Don't judge me, but for the first week didn't even check my params. I'm dosing 20 ml's of each with an 8 hour separation. I'll be testing today to see where things are at. What is the balling method?

Definitely wont judge but its pretty risky to dose that much without testing.

Balling method is the optimal way to keep your parameters consistent.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link! to clarify, its been 20mls alk at midnight, 20 mls cal at 8 am, and 20 mls mag at 4pm. I was pretty sure my levels were depleted. I didn't have a brown out this week, so I don't think I've overdosed. I'll get my act together today though.

I bought the BRS two part pack. I'll look into adding trace elements to what I have.

NirvanaandTool

Sorry to hear about the loss of the clown Med.

Glad to see the dosers are in line though. Hope the pairing with the new clown goes well!

how's the new dosing going for you.. thinking about getting me one since i just now seen yours.. was it easy to setup?

I don't know where i am going to find one to put one in my new tank but i will try..

Can you get more detail about how it works in your tank? do you notice any different with your corals color yet?

Sorry to hear about the loss of the clown Med.

Glad to see the dosers are in line though. Hope the pairing with the new clown goes well!

Thanks, but the pairing will be a no go :-(

how's the new dosing going for you.. thinking about getting me one since i just now seen yours.. was it easy to setup?

I don't know where i am going to find one to put one in my new tank but i will try..

Can you get more detail about how it works in your tank? do you notice any different with your corals color yet?

It's super easy. I didn't start off the right way though :-(. My corals were already coloring up, they're still on the way back. You get your levels where you want them, then test everyday to see if the levels go up or down, if they go up, you dial back the dose. If it goes down, you juice it up a little. Eventually you'll get to a steady state and you'll just need to adjust as your corals grow.

Photos of the new clown yet?!

Not gonna happen :-(

Sorry about your loss MedRed. :(

But congrats on the new fish!

:-(

sorry med =/

whats with the two return pumps?

The 1262 is the return for the tank. The Mag drive is for the bioreactor.

Soo.... when it rains it pours

First I lost the female clown

1 ) after getting the new male clown, it disappeared after a couple of days. I checked the overflow and the sock. I think it was just too tiny to add. I'm going to try again and put it in the acclimate box like i did with the originals.

2 ) Last weekend I lost ALL of my acans, my leptastrea, and my candycane. I have to think it is in relation to my dosing and an unusally high salinity batch of mixed saltwater. I put my dosing on hold and did a 20% water change. All of the acans looked fine before my water change. I didn't really look at the tank until the next day. All of the acans had receded dramatically. I didn't know the extent of damage done and assumed it was from the dosing. I did a 30% change and crossed my fingers. Nothing else showed any signs of distress, but the acans and the candy were done. Everything else, including the other LPS (Blastos, Dendros, Alvepora, Gonipora, Echinatas, Favias, Chalices,) were just fine.

I was wondering if some sort of chemical had gotten in the tank. My Alk and Cal were high but not killer. I finally tested the salinity of my Saltwater. The tank was at 42 ppt instead of my normal 34 ppt. I hadn't tested my last batch of saltwater after adding the usual cups of salt. I have to imagine the major swings in salinity was the culprit. I've since changed 100% of the water in the course of this week.

I'm at perfect parameters now. It just goes to show that shortcutting can be your downfall in this hobby. I lost 15 acans in this disaster. I'm very lucky that I didn't lose more than what I did. I just find it odd that the acans and candy canes suffered, but the blasto and the echinatas were normal. The two clowns alone were $400 after shipping. I'm going back to being overly cautious. I can't stomach losing fish, and losing corals for stupidity isn't acceptable.

Pardon the iPhone pictures:

The barren wasteland.

95za7m.jpg

The candy cane

52ksd5.jpg

Oh for the love of god dude! That's horrrrrible!!!!!!!!!!! Dude I couldn't even imagine. I am truly so sad. I'm glad that your losses have stopped, but this was just horrible.

I hope your luck improves bro. :(

Oh man I'm really sorry to hear that.... That's terrible. I hate kicking myself for things I know could have easily been prevented.

Hopefully after such a terrible losses things will improve for you!

Oh for the love of god dude! That's horrrrrible!!!!!!!!!!! Dude I couldn't even imagine. I am truly so sad. I'm glad that your losses have stopped, but this was just horrible.

I hope your luck improves bro. :(

Oh man I'm really sorry to hear that.... That's terrible. I hate kicking myself for things I know could have easily been prevented.

Hopefully after such a terrible losses things will improve for you!

Thanks guys. I'm glad that everything was confined to the acans. It could have been much worse. I guess I'll need to raid Mr. Corals Acan selection.

i am sad. :( but i know you have your head up high and take a little bump on the road and get back on your feet. yes go raid those acans from mr. corals. lol Sorry about your loss bro.

p.s. don't take all the acans lol leave me some med. haha

NirvanaandTool

Damn sorry to hear Med. It's tough losing so much. Been there when I lost pretty much everything in my old Solana

It's tough but you'll pull through it. Go hit up Mr. Coral and rebuild that acan collection

Deleted User 4

Dude med...., sorry to hear all those losses. I think I would have been pretty darm sad if it happened to me...

Good thing you actually have the money to rebuild that, Good luck again! Your tank is freaking awesome.

PAIR!?! omgomgomg This tank = hawtness, regardless of tragedies or other disasters

That fish gonna rock in your tank.. hopefully you got a custom build net cover bro. Can't wait to see him soon!

Dude med...., sorry to hear all those losses. I think I would have been pretty darm sad if it happened to me...

Good thing you actually have the money to rebuild that, Good luck again! Your tank is freaking awesome.

Very sorry to hear :(

PAIR!?! omgomgomg This tank = hawtness, regardless of tragedies or other disasters

Wow... That is terrible... I am sorry about the loss. New fish though!

Thank you guys for your support! I'm still pondering the loss of my female clown. The new male was probably too small to add. I'm going to get another and keep it in the acclimator like i did for my original pair. The acans are definitely a bummer as well. Overall though, the tank looks great! Coralline is starting to take off, pest algae is gone, and the SPS are starting to color back up. At this point, I'll just need to find a new male clown and replace my acans. Let this be a lesson... don't forget to use a test kit!

That fish gonna rock in your tank.. hopefully you got a custom build net cover bro. Can't wait to see him soon!

Thanks D! Of course I'm using protection! I'm using a glass lid already. The Candy basslet's are 9x as much as the helfrichi pair. Heck, the clow pair after tax were double the Helfrichi pair. I'm not taking chances!

Everything is looking nice, but sorry to hear about the acans and clown. Do you have a cover for this tank to prevent the Firefish from jumping? I really hope you do!

Everything is looking nice, but sorry to hear about the acans and clown. Do you have a cover for this tank to prevent the Firefish from jumping? I really hope you do!

sorry Mitch, but you should read more. Lol

med said he have a glass cover already..

Thanks D! Of course I'm using protection! I'm using a glass lid already. The Candy basslet's are 9x as much as the helfrichi pair. Heck, the clow pair after tax were double the Helfrichi pair. I'm not taking chances!
I just hung my LED's from the ceiling. The light spread is WAY better!

It's about time you did something right! lol

Archived