SaltCritters.com

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

SouthFlorida_Tron
Whatever, Tron. I need some SPS growth like what you've got going on.

:lol: forget growth, ur the one with the magazine cover type reef!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, but santa does bring gifts to liars. They get pennywise.

Your tank is looking good MEd. It make me want to get a cube and a radion. The fiancé would kill me though.

Thanks steely! Die happy!

• 3 weeks later...

First visit to your thread. Great tank!! I am impressed with the creative formation and the coral color placement. It will be great to see all those sps growing out. Good Luck and following along.

kevin

Thank you! Hopefully one day!

Radion update? Coral growth, color, etc.

I've started to run the Radion in Natural mode. My 2 gripes at this point are the lack of a lunar cycle and the fact that the lights don't dim as low as the AI's do. I'm worried that it won't be able to dim to the point of giving a realistic lunar cycle when (hopefully) that functionality is added. Coral growth has definitely picked up. I just bumped up to 100% and I've definitely noticed some Softies and LPS washing out. The SPS are fine and happy though.

Hey you should make a video on your reef tank :D with a song!!

lol what are you thinking.

First visit to your thread. Great tank!! I am impressed with the creative formation and the coral color placement. It will be great to see all those sps growing out. Good Luck and following along.

kevin

Thank you kevlow!

hey bud its time for an update :D

+1

Ok...ok... After the New year!

Sir, love your tank! When I named my clowns Penny and Wise, I thought of you.

Aww... that's awesome and cute! Thanks Spirofucci!

1) got a harlequin shrimp to eat Asterinas

2) Added shrimp to an an in tank separator to make feeding easy

3) Can't find anymore Asterinas after 1 day. WTF?

4) Get a chocolate chip starfish to feed the Harlequin

5) Still no Asterinas in sight

6) Harlequin is almost finished with star when I notice 2 asternias

7) Tried feeding asterinas to shrimp

8) Shrimp uninterested until I took out the chocolate chip remains

9) Bought a new chocolate chip and decided to release him and the shrimp into the tank

10) Shrimp drags starfish along like it is its favorite blankie

11) I notice a few asterinas in the tank

12) got out my Amano tongs

13) scoured the tank for asterinas and kept noticing a few more here and there.

14) Pulled out over 30 asterinas

15) Fat and happy Harlequin (molted twice in two weeks) and there I am manually removing a horde of asterinas

-___-

How's the two helfrichi doing, Are they playing nice? I'm curious because I lost my one after about 2 years and my GF just picked me up a pair for Xmas. I've been reading mixed opinions on wether or not tell get along good for the long term or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been on, but Red, your tank has made coming back an amazing experience. I love how everything is growing in. Still one of my favorite scapes. You still have the candies???

How's the two helfrichi doing, Are they playing nice? I'm curious because I lost my one after about 2 years and my GF just picked me up a pair for Xmas. I've been reading mixed opinions on wether or not tell get along good for the long term or not.

They are doing well so far. No bickering and they are always together.

How about an update med?

+1

OMG I am the laziest person ever! sorry for no updates! I'll try to take some pics this weekend

Been a while since I've been on, but Red, your tank has made coming back an amazing experience. I love how everything is growing in. Still one of my favorite scapes. You still have the candies???

Thanks Fail! I still have the candies. They will be 1 year in the tank next month. They are noticeably bigger than when I first got them.

What time is it? ADVENTURE TIME!!!!!!

Ok... so to update... It's crazy to think that my tank is over a year old now. My BSJ has been around for a year now. He is definitely the character of the tank. Between the urchins I need to control the red turf algae (they do an AMAZING job) and the coralline eating asterinas, I've resolved that I am not going to ever have coralline.

Speaking of the urchins... I've had a few rocks dropped on random corals by them. Lately they seem to like to drop rocks in my vortechs. The rocks are just big enough to make the wet part wonky and detach. This has happened 3 times. I came back from a week out of town to find my tank running on one vortech. I don't know how much of that time was spent with one vortech, but all was well. The next week it happened again while I was out of town for a few days! Evil Urchins!

I've had a recent outbreak of dinoflagellates. It isn't bad by any means, just there. I doubt it's nutrient related as I have been gone quite a bit of the time (no feedings). On second thought, maybe the remnants from the Harlequin's starfish are adding nutrients. I'll check it out. I also introduced bubble algae to my tank some how. I'm keeping it at bay, but it's a LOT of work. I don't want to get an emerald crab. They scare me... and they may not even eat the bubble algae.

Also, all of my bryopsis is GONE... disappeared. Lettuce slugs and Tech M did the trick. With no more byropsis, that also means no more lettuce slugs :-(. I wish I would have noticed, I would have given them away.

I need to replace the tint on the back of the tank, the saltwater has taken its toll.

All the fishies are doing well. The Candies are noticeably bigger than when I first bought them. I still need to get my clown a mate. She seems to want to host my ricordeas now.

Regarding my Radions and my SPS. WOW. I'm getting waaaayyyyyyy better growth and coloration than I did with my AI's.

359zo7n.jpg

juej5j.jpg

bhm8t0.jpg

Chalices doing well.

1zr1e7m.jpg

Need to remove the top heads of my torch. It's burning the underside of my birdsnest

2rcpvuq.jpg

2nizoeq.jpg

One of my sand bed warriors... I love my conchs!

257gg9g.jpg

Bad pic, but red planet is getting red again!

16a38y0.jpg

New growth since Radions

24wc7mc.jpg

All the yellow growth is brand new since the Radions

236xe0.jpg

Clam is actually green from my vantage point. Top down from an angle

ok4qk7.jpg

This thing is HUGE from when I first bought it. It grew from the frag my acro crab was shipped with.

wbpcfp.jpg

Great growth and encrusting

213cz.jpg

2udyul0.jpg

Purple growth is brand new since Radions

s623wo.jpg

qx47io.jpg

20kc47q.jpg

b562k0.jpg

Ewww!!! Starfish #3

4ua26u.jpg

Used this favia to keep the paly's from jumping to the connecting spire. It's grown a lot since I moved it (a month ago?) and is doing a great job with its nightly sweeper tentacles

izxnwx.jpg

1z3mo41.jpg

2e1g26g.jpg

-__-

I accidentally knocked my red gorgonian from it's original spot. I don't like the angle and the exact location I have it placed now. I'm thinking about moving it back. I'm surprised at how few amphipods and stomotella I see in the tank. I have to think that the candy basslets hunt the amphipods. I haven't seen a big one on the rock work in ages. I don't think the Dendros like the Radion's during mid day as much as the AI's. They seem to close up during the high light time of day now. That didn't happen before with the AI's.

I added a few (ugly) Yumas. wish I hadn't. They are not slow growers like ricordias. The Yumas killed the part of my goniopora that touched. My gonioporas and alveporas are still going strong. It's been almost a year for them as well. I've had some really good luck with some of the more difficult corals. I even have a few that were brought back from the dead.

Archived