Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

UWWMatt's 25G CADlight

uwwmatt

hey matt check out daves nanobox led He can totally build a custom fixture to your specification. His username is davefason here on nano-reef.

I've heard good things about the Nano Box stuff, but the issue here is price. It looks like we are talking $600 for a 24" with 24 LED set up, and no controller. http://www.nano-box-reef.com/products.html

-----------

Edit: I'm copying over my original question so people don't have to go back to the previous page to see it.

I am looking for opinion/advice on LED lighting.

I am wondering if the RapidLED 24 LED w/ dimmable drivers would work as a good retro fit for the current Cadlight fixture I have. (This would be to replace the lights inside, not supplement)

Some pics of the light in question:

IMG_5138.jpg

24 inches long

IMG_5135.jpg

The opening on the underside is about 6 3/4 inch

IMG_5140.jpg

I posted this question in the RapidLED forum and was told I should be able to fit it into this light. I would still like more opinion or thoughts on any other options.

It looks like I can get the Kit above without optics and with a controller and two 24x1.1 inch heatsinks for $250. That seems more appealing to me than spending $470 for the AI SOL w/controller.

Should I consider optics, and how will the PAR compare to my current 150W metal Halide?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll shoot him a PM and see what he has to say. However I don't mind building it myself. I like a good DIY project.

My questions are:

1. Does putting that retro kit, or some other like it, in that fixture look possible?

2. What kind of light output should I expect getting with those 24 LEDs spread out over 24"?

3. Should I get optics, and if so what angle?

4. Is there a more cost effective way to get LEDs cleanly mounted over my tank, taking into consideration that I want to be able to mimic sunrise/sunset?

I'll shoot him a PM and see what he has to say. However I don't mind building it myself. I like a good DIY project.

My questions are:

1. Does putting that retro kit, or some other like it, in that fixture look possible?

Sure but you are going to have to mount fans onto the fixture as well

2. What kind of light output should I expect getting with those 24 LEDs spread out over 24"?

Id expect you to get really good light output but im not sure how much of an area you are trying to illuminate

3. Should I get optics, and if so what angle? It depends on the area.

4. Is there a more cost effective way to get LEDs cleanly mounted over my tank, taking into consideration that I want to be able to mimic sunrise/sunset? Probably not as DIY is the cheapest option....maybe you could find the same parts for cheaper but i dont think the price difference would be significant.

-I already have some fans wired to a variable voltage plug. I think I should be able to mount them easy enough behind the heatsink and then I would drill some additional vent holes on the top. I have to look more closely at the space I have to work with. The plan would be to put them on a timer that corresponded with the LEDs.

-The light would be for this tank. I don't know the exact dimensions but its about 24" long x 15 inches wide and maybe 18" high. Would that retro be a step up from the 150W MH as far as output? I would assume the MH is mainly concentrated in the middle where as LEDs would produce a more even coverage, but would the intensity through out be less? As you can see from the pics its a mixed reef. Mostly LPS with a clam on the bottom.

-Do the optics help blend the lighting in any meaningful way? Would I need them to penetrate the water to get to the clam? Would I want to mount the light higher?

-The light would be for this tank. I don't know the exact dimensions but its about 24" long x 15 inches wide and maybe 18" high. Would that retro be a step up from the 150W MH as far as output? I would assume the MH is mainly concentrated in the middle where as LEDs would produce a more even coverage, but would the intensity through out be less? As you can see from the pics its a mixed reef. Mostly LPS with a clam on the bottom.

The leds would give you just as much par if not more than the halid. In most cases leds provide too much par hence the need for dimmable drivers.

-Do the optics help blend the lighting in any meaningful way? Would I need them to penetrate the water to get to the clam? Would I want to mount the light higher?

Based on your dimensions i dont think you need to use optics at all. Optics are typically recommended for tanks deeper than 24"

Thanks for answering some of my questions. Now I have more...

Color of LEDs? Do I just go 50/50 Blue and White? And as far as the white LEDs are people saying stay away from the cool whites and opt for the neutral ones?

Np. You should do a mix of neutral white,cool white, blue and royal blues. That covers the spectrum and renders colors accurately to the human eye.

Matt - I am here! No need for a 24" unit!

12" 24 LED unit will easily light your amazing tank up.

-Dave

There you are i was about to pm you.

Well I got my lighting situation figured out. Stay tuned for some sweet LED updates B)

Nice! I was going to suggest retrofitting the Cadlights, but keeping the T5s. I'm kind of hoping you went with the nanobox though. I can't wait to see what those LEDs do your tank.

Thanks

Did some more minor aquascaping, the lights went out before I could get a picture so you get a shot with just the T5 actinic bulb.

IMG_5270.jpg

Thanks

I was a bit worried at first because I have heard stories of people having overly aggressive royal grammas. So far that is not the case for mine. All the fish seem to mind their own business.

Also, and this may be anecdotal, but I added the Springer's damsel to eat the flatworms (according the LFS they would :) ) and they seem to be all gone. I never actually saw him eat one though. My feeding regiments have remained the same, and I have also added 2 peppermint shrimp and 3 porcelain crabs. So I am not sure what it is, but something is working.

Archived