Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

UWWMatt's 25G CADlight

uwwmatt

Thanks guys. I am in the early stages of buying a new home, so when that finally happens I will be able to upgrade to the large in-wall fish tank I have always wanted! Until then though I am going to be keeping this tank running.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Such a nice tank! It looks so nice.

How do you think aio's perform compared to a sump, also maintenance wise?

Thanks.

That is a hard question to answer. I think there are benefits to both options. A sump certainly adds more maintenance, and opportunities for things to go wrong (both tank crashes on my old 25G were related to the sump).

Personally, I don't think I would ever have a sump on another nano tank (under 30G). Trying to fit your hands under the cabinet is such a pain in the butt. I hated having to service the pump or anything else in the sump, and that usually meant I just ignored problems way longer than I should have. Plus you have to find some place else to store your various aquarium equipment. In my apartment space is at a premium, so having our bedroom and coat closet full of nets/pumps/supplements did not make my wife happy. Now its all stored neatly underneath my tank.

Performance wise, I'd say for me they are about equal (you can look at my old 25G and see which one you like better). Now, I have mostly stuck with LPS, leathers and softies, with a relatively low fish volume/feeding regime, but If you were going to stock your tank heavily and run an SPS dominant tank you might consider a sump. For my needs though, it wasn't necessary.

What kind of livestock are you thinking of getting?

Great picture Matt, just voted!

Thanks

Beautiful tank all around....by the way I just fished out the Clarkii...OMG....Everything had to come out... all corals and livestock were placed in holding containers but I didn't stress and all went good....so far

• 2 weeks later...
All the bicolor euphyllia is awesome! :o

Thanks. Its hard to believe all the hammer came from a single head in my 8G biocube 4 years ago. I am sure if I would have had room to frag it and space it out there would be triple that amount.

fts.jpg

And that giant devils hand grew from this little guy in the upper right hand corner of my old 14G biocube, plus another shot of what the hammer and frogspawn used to look like.

nano-reef-1.jpg

----------------------

Just bought these guys on ebay. I have always liked the look of fish popping in and out of the barnacle shells. It will be interesting rearranging my tank to fit this thing in there. I also added a Royal Gramma to my tank today.

KGrHqZlE4lqYUvWIBOS74r6lmg48_3.jpg

Wow those macro pics are amazing!!!! I can't believe the detail on that last one... breathtaking!! :)

How do you find that blue damsel? I've heard they can be troublemakers

Wow those macro pics are amazing!!!! I can't believe the detail on that last one... breathtaking!! :)

How do you find that blue damsel? I've heard they can be troublemakers

Thanks. The Springer's Damsel minds his own business. He is very small, so he may become more aggressive as he gets older but now there are no issues. I got him because I was told that some eat flatworms. I'm not holding my breath though.

I like the new fish, Matt. How's he getting along with his tankmates?

All the fish have been getting along fine. None of them seem to pay attention to each other. The Royal Gramma has staked out a spot somewhat close to the clown, so we will see if anything becomes of that.

I don't know how much longer this tank will be running since my wife and I are in the process of looking for our first house. I plan on upgrading to a much larger tank B). If that happens these fish will have all the space they need.

-------------------

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

New aquascape

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

i like your tank so much, i have a question. do the hammer and torch/frogspawn? touch each other or not? i like this corals and i would like to have them but i'm afraid they kill each other.

congratulations.

Thanks.

That is a hard question to answer. I think there are benefits to both options. A sump certainly adds more maintenance, and opportunities for things to go wrong (both tank crashes on my old 25G were related to the sump).

Personally, I don't think I would ever have a sump on another nano tank (under 30G). Trying to fit your hands under the cabinet is such a pain in the butt. I hated having to service the pump or anything else in the sump, and that usually meant I just ignored problems way longer than I should have. Plus you have to find some place else to store your various aquarium equipment. In my apartment space is at a premium, so having our bedroom and coat closet full of nets/pumps/supplements did not make my wife happy. Now its all stored neatly underneath my tank.

Performance wise, I'd say for me they are about equal (you can look at my old 25G and see which one you like better). Now, I have mostly stuck with LPS, leathers and softies, with a relatively low fish volume/feeding regime, but If you were going to stock your tank heavily and run an SPS dominant tank you might consider a sump. For my needs though, it wasn't necessary.

What kind of livestock are you thinking of getting?

Thanks

Thankyou very much for your reply mate.

I will be mainly stocking LPS, leathers and softies etc, two clowns as fish stock. So I think I will be happy with the performance of an AIO. After the moving of my tank and trying to clean it all properly in a small environment, its quite time consuming. After having an AIO I know maintenance is very easy, so that will be good.

Im going to be upgrading my tank in a few months... my clowns are getting bigger and I hate the idea of the tank getting to small for them.

Im am going to make this another DIY project. I have a design in my head its just the process of getting it onto paper at the moment... SketchUp is brilliant. Iv had quite a lot of experience with DIY tanks and previously made an AIO so im quite happy with doing all that.

I will be starting a new thread for this tank. I will post a link on here if you like? I would appreciate any ideas/help :)

Whole lot of awesome packed in there!

Thanks

i like your tank so much, i have a question. do the hammer and torch/frogspawn? touch each other or not? i like this corals and i would like to have them but i'm afraid they kill each other.

congratulations.

Thanks Hedson. They do touch, but they do not seem to bother each other at all.

Thankyou very much for your reply mate. I will be starting a new thread for this tank. I will post a link on here if you like? I would appreciate any ideas/help :)

Please do, I always like looking at DIY builds.

-------------------------------------

Picture of the new Damsel

IMG_5001.jpg

Thanks, took me about 100 shots to actually get this guy in focus. He is a constant mover.

--------------

Just saw my pom pom crab this morning while getting ready for work. He now has two very small stems of frogspawn that he is using to replace his lost anemone pom poms. Hopefully I can get a picture of it tonight. I have never seen a pom pom do that.

Archived