Coral Vue Hydros

UWWMatt's 25G CADlight

uwwmatt

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paleoreef103

Do you have your vortech on short pulse, because I think you have the perfect livestock to enjoy the back and forth motion of standing wave. Just excellent tank. What do you do in Madison? I did my undergrad at Madison. Loved the town.

Do you have your vortech on short pulse, because I think you have the perfect livestock to enjoy the back and forth motion of standing wave. Just excellent tank. What do you do in Madison? I did my undergrad at Madison. Loved the town.

Thanks

I have the MP20 on reef crest at the moment (turned way down), I lost the booklet and don't remember what the colors mean so I haven't bothered switching it :happy: If I can figure out the setting I might give that short pulse mode a try and see how the tank responds.

I am currently working at one of the hospitals in Madison as an operations analyst. I have lived here for most of my life. I really enjoy being 10 minutes from downtown. When were you in the undergrad program?

Looking good man.

awesome setup, I like the chair 2!

Thanks

urkinduhdorky

Just finished reading through the whole thread I loved the documenting, I love your tank and all the extra precautions you have taking for making it a fail safe. I am also a current owner of a biocube 29, is there any advice or necessary materials I should get for making it a fail safe tank, I have RKL unit as well, but with all the stray electricity and ground probe problems you had I want to take some preventive measures? any advice would be cool thank you :)

beautiful tank!

Just finished reading through the whole thread I loved the documenting, I love your tank and all the extra precautions you have taking for making it a fail safe. I am also a current owner of a biocube 29, is there any advice or necessary materials I should get for making it a fail safe tank, I have RKL unit as well, but with all the stray electricity and ground probe problems you had I want to take some preventive measures? any advice would be cool thank you :)

beautiful tank!

Thanks,

I would first make sure your RKL is set up correctly and the firmware is up-to-date. When I updated my firmware I didn't realize I needed to reset all the alarms so when my temp probe failed my tank got really hot and none of the failsafes kicked in. Also make sure you set the defaults to whatever they need to be if the RKL head unit fails. That way if it did fail your PC4 would kick your heater on and then your heater would run off its own thermostat. Rather than just having everything shut down.

You can get a grounding probe, but that is really only to protect you in case of a voltage leak. You don't want to leave your tank grounded when you are not working on it, because it can stress out your livestock.

If you have the money you may want to consider the DA float switches for the ATO. Its nice not to have to bother with your top-off. (in addition you would have to get the SL1 or SL2 to use the switches)

Quixsilver

Matt,

Awesome tank. I read your thread from start to finish. I have a few questions. I saw that you got rid of your sump in the new set up, are you planning on getting another one started? Second, do you still recommend the RK lite controller? Finally, whats your maintenance routine like? Thanks. Keep up the good work!

Matt,

Awesome tank. I read your thread from start to finish. I have a few questions. I saw that you got rid of your sump in the new set up, are you planning on getting another one started? Second, do you still recommend the RK lite controller? Finally, whats your maintenance routine like? Thanks. Keep up the good work!

Hey Quixsilver,

No plans for a sump currently. This tank has a built-in back chamber that works fine for now. Sumps have their place and I may look into them again in future builds. However they add an element of complexity and maintenance to the tank that I just didn't feel like dealing with on this one. I can say I would probably never do another HOB overflow though. Its just a pain to restart the siphon, and it just doesn't look as clean as having a drilled tank. Likewise I would not do a sump in such a small stand like my last one. It is very tedious to always be reaching around under the tank trying to unhook the pumps for cleaning.

I like my RKL, it has had its hiccups though. When I bought it, it was $99 for the temp probe and the 4 outlet PC4. That was an amazing deal, now that its $120 its still a good deal, but the price really starts to add up quickly as you expand it. I think I would definitely look more closely at the Apex Neptune unites that are out now. I did get sort of frustrated with digital aquatics documentation and update process, but I would never run another tank without some controller. As it stands now I have the RKL ($99) a second PC4 ($89) the SL2($79), Salinity probe ($89), dual float switch kit ($45), and a replacement temp probe ($20). That's $420, I should have just bought one of the more advanced packages right from the get go. IMO the salinity probe (or any other probes) are not worth it with the RKL, since you can't display multiple values at once on the home screen.

Maintenance:

-Top offs are run by my RKL float switches. I have a 5G fresh water reservoir that lasts about 10 days. I anticipate it needing to be refilled more often in the summer.

-I feed a mixture of frozen and dry foods 3-4 times per week. I don't do any direct feeding.

-I dose a 2 part solution for calcium 2-3 times a week.

-I try to use a turkey baster and blast the detritus off of my rocks 1-2 times per week.

-5G water changes every 7-10 days. I use instant ocean salt because it is cheap and I have never had an issue. My SG stays at 1.025 and my temperatures are maintained around 78 degrees. I have a 4 unit fan and 100 heater controlled by my RKL to keep temps stable.

-I currently run chemipure elite and filter pads(rinsed out with each water change). I also have a Tunze 9002 skimmer. It skims wet so it needs to be emptied every other day.

Paleoreef103
Thanks

I have the MP20 on reef crest at the moment (turned way down), I lost the booklet and don't remember what the colors mean so I haven't bothered switching it :happy: If I can figure out the setting I might give that short pulse mode a try and see how the tank responds.

I am currently working at one of the hospitals in Madison as an operations analyst. I have lived here for most of my life. I really enjoy being 10 minutes from downtown. When were you in the undergrad program?

I really thought I had replied. If the MP20 follows the same color scheme as the first gen MP10, reefcrest should be orange. Short pulse is blue, but you have to set the pulse time as well by dialing it up and down. When it's fully on it should flash between green and blue.

I lived in Madison from 2002-2007 for my undergrad. I am pretty familiar with the hospitals (one of my part time college jobs was a delivery boy. woo.). Which one do you work at? I loved Madison. Great place. Great people.

I spotted my pom pom crab last night. I hadn't seen him in a while. I am pretty impressed, at how hardy he is. I have had him for over 2 years. In that time I have had 2 major tank crashes, and one tank move.

Lights were off so I didn't get a picture, but here is a shot from the last time I saw him in November.

IMG_01391.jpg

shot from March 2010

IMG_8421.jpg

And when I got him March 2009

IMG_5409_2_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
nice matt!

love the third clown shot, the composition on that one is fabulous.

The tank is really looking nice. :)

Thanks

Starfish Spawning:

IMG_3163.jpg

Archived