Innovative Marine Aquariums

MJ's 75 Gallons of Schnozberries

Militant Jurist

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata ?

At first I was going to call shenanigans and accuse you of jumbling up letters to make up words. BUT by George, you've got it! Not only do the photos look right, the description of a very hardy gorgonian fits what the marine biologist of the LFS described it as. Good work DH!

Militant Jurist
*bows*

Indeed, coming to the rescue again!

So, here's a general question: If you were going to place an LA order for a small batch of fish for the 75, what would that first order include? I'm thinking the order will be 3 fish, tops, since these will be the first fish into the tank and the tank isn't that old.

Here's the list to pick from:

A Kole tang

Some kind of blenny

A pair of Ocellaris Clownfish

Either a Multicolor Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse or a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

A pair or trio of chalk bass

Honestly, if the tank is cycled, and you can stay on top if it, you could, maybe, probably get away with adding all 7 or 8 at once. It'll require small daily water changes, and you'll probably get a small algae bloom, but I really don't see all those small fish crashing a tank. That's the crazy, risk taking reefer in me who hates paying shipping coming out though. It's no worse than adding fish to a brand new raw QT tank IMO. You just gotta test and WC accordingly.

Otherwise, I'd say the blenny and the clowns first.

Militant Jurist
Honestly, if the tank is cycled, and you can stay on top if it, you could, maybe, probably get away with adding all 7 or 8 at once. It'll require small daily water changes, and you'll probably get a small algae bloom, but I really don't see all those small fish crashing a tank. That's the crazy, risk taking reefer in me who hates paying shipping coming out though. It's no worse than adding fish to a brand new raw QT tank IMO. You just gotta test and WC accordingly.

Otherwise, I'd say the blenny and the clowns first.

Well, my only concern (other than the massive price tag of all at once :P) is that I primarily used dry rock to start the tank, and only a bit of live rock. However, I think that I'll be moving the LR, coral, and LR filled rubbermaid from the 20L to the 75 tonight. I guess I'll just mix up a big batch of WC water for when I do order. In that case, maybe the clowns, a blenny, and a wrasse. The kole tang and chalk bass aren't in stock right now anyways. I suppose I could always toss in something cool from the diver's den, or something that is in next week's sale.

Militant Jurist
wait an extra month or two and get them all at once, imo.

Best of both worlds, I suppose. Reduced shipping costs, and more peace of mind about the tank's ability to handle it. Would I be able to add them all straight to the 75, without worrying about a QT?

Militant Jurist

I added a bunch of new sand, and even though I rinsed it, the tank is still a cloudy mess. However, that makes my newest thing to mention even more :ninja:

I went to Phishy's, and they had moved their latest shipment out to their displays. What did I find? The fish that I've wanted for a VERY, very long time. He was $19, and I had to jump at the chance.

So... what did I get?

An engineer goby! omgomgomg

Militant Jurist
Nice congrats!!!!!!

Thanks! I've always liked these guys, but the 70+ gallon requirement always kept me away. Then, it was concern over scaping. However, my tank now has only one stacked rock, and I don't think the little engineer can move it. By the time he is big enough, it will be rather secure.

Militant Jurist
Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

:happy:

My tank is still cloudy, but it cleared up enough this morning that I could see the engineer swimming around. He was just cruising the glass, following me around. I plopped in some food, but he was more interested in following me. Such a cool little fish!

Militant Jurist
wow sounds like hes got an exellent personality, sweet.

That's what I'm thinking! I'm hoping he's like my starry blenny that way, and that he won't hide like every other goby I've ever had. Then again, engineer gobies aren't real gobies, so that could make the difference. ;)

I plopped in some food, but he was more interested in following me.

wow sounds like hes got an exellent personality, sweet.

either that or he's as dumb as my rabbit and doesnt understand that you already put food in and is still begging :haha:

Militant Jurist
either that or he's as dumb as my rabbit and doesnt understand that you already put food in and is still begging :haha:

:lol: I suppose that that's another possibility. The zombies (nass snails) sure knew that the food was there! I suppose it's also possible that the water was too cloudy for him, so he stayed near the glass to be able to see something. :P

Militant Jurist
now that sounds like my clown, i swear hes to stupid to live.

I know some people like that too. <_<

Militant Jurist
Don't we all MJ, don't we all. :rolleyes:

True, true.

In other news, I had an idea pop into mind, but I'm not yet sure how I'm going to pull it off. I'm going to use a 20L (or maybe the 15 from CM) as a sump and fuge. However, I also like the LR pile tidepool thing I've got going with the current 20L setup. The only trouble with using both is that the sump area under the 75 is about 48", the 20L is 30" and the tote is certainly more than 18"

I found the thread from CM, and the 15g has dimensions of 20"x16"x14". Does that seem like a workable size for skimmer/heater/return pump/fuge? If I can pull it off, the overflow will drain into the tote with all of the LR, and I'd put a bulkhead in the tote, for it to then overflow into the 15 or 20, which will contain the return pump.

If I go the 15g route, I'll need to build the tank soon. When I do so, should I get glass cut to make the baffles? Or should I just stick with acrylic?

Thoughts?

Go with acrylic! Its easier to silicone in and if anything happens you dont have to clean up broken glass.

The deminsions of the 15 look similar to my old 10 sump/fuge but mine was 20longx10deepx12high. You could make that work just fine for you. Mine had a HOB skimmer but my setup was a bit weird anyways lol.

give me the deminsions of the skimmer and I can draw something up for you if you want. Also is the 15G 16" high or 14" high?

Militant Jurist
Go with acrylic! Its easier to silicone in and if anything happens you dont have to clean up broken glass.

The deminsions of the 15 look similar to my old 10 sump/fuge but mine was 20longx10deepx12high. You could make that work just fine for you. Mine had a HOB skimmer but my setup was a bit weird anyways lol.

I think I'm going to go with a Tunze skimmer like Richie's, so it shouldn't take up too much space in the sump (unlike my Reef Octopus). I've always wanted a big fuge, so the rubbermade might finally allow me to have one! In addition to that one, I could put a macro and LS only fuge in the 15g for additional pods. It would also make it easier to yank macro for tang feedings.

Archived