Cultivated Reef

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Beautiful photos! Love the digitata.

Thanks dude.

Thanks man, and plus one to the digitata, looks like you've had some serious growth on that thing.

Indeed this is one month of growth:

Feb 28th:

_MG_2950.jpg

March 29th:

DSC00189.jpg

ZeoVit works.

awesome pics, and amazing growth! yea it definitely works then!

Yea I am really impressed. My system has never seen hard coral growth that quick.

Thanks again for the compliments.

Lastly here are some wider underwater shots to show off how this scape is filling out. April FTS will come probably mid April. All taken with Sony Submersible Cyber Shot

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

Few milestones in this thread this month.

Obviously the TOTM thing is awesome. But there have been 50,000 views to the thread, 1000 posts in the thread, and over 30,000 views to my youtube channel.

Thanks guys the support around here is awesome!

Glad to be a part of N-R.

Heck of a ride Aj!!

Glad to have peeps like you following along. Thanks.

The underwater shots of the SPS colonies are awesome! Congrats of the TOTM and all the milestones too :)

Thanks Schreiba, I think they look pretty cool.

My SPS colonies and frags are having ridiculous polyp extension. I am talking like 1cm or 1/2" long wisps coming out at night. It's amazing I have never seen PE like this.

Anyone have any ideas on how I should go about photographing this when its dark and the lights are out?

With good discipline the ZEOvit system is awesome. Well worth the $$ for anyone debating it. It's costly but it works and is worth the money compared to some of the other efforts people put into maintaining a reef that don't always work.

My SPS colonies and frags are having ridiculous polyp extension. I am talking like 1cm or 1/2" long wisps coming out at night. It's amazing I have never seen PE like this.

Anyone have any ideas on how I should go about photographing this when its dark and the lights are out?

moonlights? and a slower shutter speed...

or just get a regular flash light put a blue filter/cellophane on it, instead of the moonlights.

AJ everything is looking awesome. The growth is amazing as well.

How high off the surface is the ATI currently?

Thanks bonese. Appreciate it. Light is about 10 or 11 inches off the water surface at the moment. I will probably be lowering it to about 8 inches periodically over the next few months but because I have a very shallow setup it can't be too close.

moonlights? and a slower shutter speed...

or just get a regular flash light put a blue filter/cellophane on it, instead of the moonlights.

Hmm I was thinking of that. I will experiment with the DLSR and see if I can get some crisp shots. I have some interesting lighting options.

- A.

Couple more shots of the clowns. They are really quick and dont stay still for too long so I still dont have any in crisp focus or with a DSLR yet.

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Thanks dude.

Indeed this is one month of growth:

Feb 28th:

_MG_2950.jpg

March 29th:

DSC00189.jpg

ZeoVit works.

Incredible growth! Even the monti digitata is showing some major polyp extension.

Congrats again for March 2011 TOTM, AJ--very well deserved! :)

Incredible growth! Even the monti digitata is showing some major polyp extension.

Congrats again for March 2011 TOTM, AJ--very well deserved! :)

Indeed. The growth is wild. Thanks for the compliments. I think you will be gracing the front page soon too.

Don't know if I mentioned it but, new sump should be ready in a week or two and I pre-ordered the ATI Powercone Skimmer. Just waiting now...

Edited by AJ_Tsin
beautiful tank, I have sugar sized sand in my cube, and it SO hard to keep clean, Whats your secret?

Instead of using a siphon to vacuum the sand with a water change, I use a turkey baster and a very fine mesh fish net. I suck up whatever detritus or crud there is on the bed and empty it directly into the net which is also in the water an inch or two away. This process is easy and doesn't stir up the whole sand bed as I only need to clean the top layer. Also because there is no siphon happening there is no time limit on how long you can clean the sand bed.

I suppose you could call this a secret but its once again more evidence on why I think a turkey baster is still one of the most important tools in this hobby.

Thanks for the compliment.

Edited by AJ_Tsin

Just curious, I went with your suggestion on the 4 blue +, 1 aquablue special, and 1 KZ fiji-purple. It is a fairly blue color, but your tank does not look as blue as mine.

This is my first time purchasing nice T5's and am wondering, do they need a burn in period on the bulbs similar to a MH? Or could the difference be in your camera settings and white balance, etc? I like the look currently, just wondering if it might slightly change.

Thanks again! I also just got my Hanna Checker in today too. Once off work I'll have to give it a test run, so I can start my VSV dosing.

Edited by mighty

First I am gonna bump these to here as they were the last post on the last page and got buried:

Here it is April 2011 FTS Taken with iPhone 4.

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

Just curious, I went with your suggestion on the 4 blue +, 1 aquablue special, and 1 KZ fiji-purple. It is a fairly blue color, but your tank does not look as blue as mine.

This is my first time purchasing nice T5's and am wondering, do they need a burn in period on the bulbs similar to a MH? Or could the difference be in your camera settings and white balance, etc? I like the look currently, just wondering if it might slightly change.

Thanks again! I also just got my Hanna Checker in today too. Once off work I'll have to give it a test run, so I can start my VSV dosing.

Nice I am sure you will love both the new bulbs and the Hanna Checker. Just make sure to never touch the glass and use a microfiber cloth like the kind for glasses to clean the glass. Any little smudge will really throw off your readings. I have had my readings go from 0.34 to 0.03 because of a fingerprint smudge that I wiped off with a paper towel instead of a proper microcloth.

As for the blue color not sure about a burn in time however in my case it's definitely a white balance setting on my camera. The pictures would be very blue if I didn't balance them to a very high color temp. I generally do this manually on an SLR or in Post for iPhone or Sony Cybershot photos. I rarely Photoshop my images instead I use iPhoto to batch color correct while adjusting the only light mid and dark levels while cranking the white balance slider to get something closer to what our eyes see. I dont touch Saturation or Hue as it can really mess with your colors.

The trick is to look at the sand. If it is white then the color is generally correct. In post try to adjust your white balance or color balance to get the sand as close to pure white as possible. Many editing software types have an auto white balance feature where you can click an eye dropper on what is supposed to be white sand and it corrects the rest of the photo accordingly.

As a side note: many coral shops will post photos of new shipments etc. with amazing colors but if you look closely the substrate or sand is different a different hue in every shot this is a telltale sign of a coral dealer skewing colors etc.

HTH

Off to Las Vegas for a week for a film and broadcast conference. I have a friend dosing the Zeo regiment while I am gone. Hope all is well with the system when I come home!

If I visit any large Aquariums in Vegas while I am away I will be sure to post pictures etc.