Innovative Marine Aquariums

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

awsome stuff man. great fish.. cant wait for my shallow to be finished at builder.. can you update whats ur dosing schedule and feeding ? thanks

Thanks Jaquesdp

I keep all of this info up to date on the first post so when in doubt check there first chances are there will be a current FTS and whatever I am running ar the time but for reference:

In addition to Calcium and Alk Buffer Two Part supplements on alternating days, I also add 1 TSP of Mg Weekly and two capfuls of Purple-Up.

All of my dosing is done manually except for my top off water which is gravity fed ATO. I will be looking into automatically dosing Two Part in the future but without a controller I dont feel safe automating anything like that.

As of right now in order to establish a ZeoVit Powered Ultra Low Nutrient System (ULNS) my dosing regiment is as follows:

Daily

• 0.6 ml ZEOStart
  • 3 drops of ZEObac
  • Spectrum Pellet fish food and/or rinsed PE Mysis shrimp.

Weekly

• 1-2 Drops of K-Z AAHC
  • 2 Drops of ZeoFood7
  • 2-3 Drops of K-Z Coral Vitalizer
  • 3-4 ml of Pohl's Xtra
  • 2 Drops of Sponge Power 3-4 x Weekly
  • 1 Tsp Strontium
  • 1 Tsp Potassium
  • 1-4 Drops Kent Lugols Solution
  • 3 ml K-Z Coral Snow 3-4x a week
  • I also Feed Cyclopeeze Rotifiers and ReefRoids Soaked in Selcon once in a while

For those of you who havent read much about this. The goal here is to dose a carbon source eg: ZeoStart, Vodka, Sugar, or Vinegar this carbon source feeds bacteria which will grow rapidly consuming Nitrate and Phosphate as they consume N/P the bacteria gets skimmed up quickly ridding the system of just about everything.

Benefits:

• Crystal Clear Water, in fact I had to raise my light higher because the water was soo clear the corals were reacting to the increase in light.
  • The ability to feed heavily without worrying about algae or nitrates
  • Incredible coral colors and growth

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Awsome stuff thanks man..

No problem!

P.S. New sump is under construction as we speak. I have a friend doing some custom acrylic cutting and welding for me.

Details to come in a week or two.

Hey,

I notice that you mention your use of Purple Up. As you probably know there is some debate on its usefulness. Would you mind discussing your thoughts on it? I am thinking of possibly adding some as well, but am still on the fence.

Oh, I just set up my Vortech mp10. When trying out the short pulse mode, it would seem that this might be rather rough on the pump in the long run. Any thoughts on this now that you have had your Vortech for awhile? I just don't want to burn out my pump too quickly.

Thanks, appreciate it!! :D

Edited by mighty
Hey,

I notice that you mention your use of Purple Up. As you probably know there is some debate on its usefulness. Would you mind discussing your thoughts on it? I am thinking of possibly adding some as well, but am still on the fence.

Oh, I just set up my Vortech mp10. When trying out the short pulse mode, it would seem that this might be rather rough on the pump in the long run. Any thoughts on this now that you have had your Vortech for awhile? I just don't want to burn out my pump too quickly.

Thanks, appreciate it!! :D

I use purple-up once a week and have noticed Coraline growth accordingly. I just consider it a calcium supplement and use it once a week as a replacement for the calcium portion of the two part on that day. I dont think its a magic additive or anything but it does help to seed your tank with purple coraline and is a good peripheral to plain calcium supplementation.

As for the MP10. As far as I understand they are made to do this, mine seems to work fine but I cannot comment on the lifespan etc.

Thanks!

I am still using the MB7 while I wait for funds to come in to buy a Hanna Phosphate checker. Once that comes in, I will test and start seeing where I might start the dosing levels for VSV. Your build thread is a constant reference for me!

Looking forward to pics of your frags.

I like the combo although its a bit too blue right now. I could go for another white and another purple bulb. If it were 6 I'd run.

ATI Blue +

ATI Blue +

K-Z Fiji Purple

ATI Aquablue Special

ATI Blue +

ATI Blue +

I was wandering the same thing. Would the combo you suggested above be really blue.

Thanks!

I am still using the MB7 while I wait for funds to come in to buy a Hanna Phosphate checker. Once that comes in, I will test and start seeing where I might start the dosing levels for VSV. Your build thread is a constant reference for me!

Looking forward to pics of your frags.

Awesome glad I can be of help.

I was wandering the same thing. Would the combo you suggested above be really blue.

Its pretty blue, but I like 20K so it works for me.

What type of sand/substrate have you used? It looks great.

Carib-Sea Sugar Sized

Here are a few new shots.

_MG_4773.jpg

_MG_4744.jpg

_MG_4771.jpg

_MG_4758.jpg

_MG_4733.jpg

_MG_4718.jpg

More to come later....

igotreefermadness

Your tank was the inspiration for my current Mr. Aqua 12g long project. The rock, sandbed, and light spectrum match up very well.

Incredible shots AJ...Everything looks awesome.

Thanks Hype.

Your tank was the inspiration for my current Mr. Aqua 12g long project. The rock, sandbed, and light spectrum match up very well.

Thanks. Glad to be a help of some kind.

Well March is almost over. To thank you all again for nominating my reef for the March 2011 Reef Profile, I will be uploading a bunch of macro shots periodically over the next day or two. These were taken this afternoon...

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

Enjoy.

whenever you're ready to frag acros 1 and 2... and 4 >.> I'll be the first one there. :)

Haha no problem. I'll post here when I do. Thanks. I'll post more tonight.

TheNordCelt

Never disappointed with this thread! I wish I had the time to update mine like you do!

What is the name of the coral in the last shot, I have one but have never known what it is.

Never disappointed with this thread! I wish I had the time to update mine like you do!

What is the name of the coral in the last shot, I have one but have never known what it is.

It's a Scroll Coral or Turbinaria reniformis. This particular one is called LA Lakers Scroll because of its colors.