Coral Vue Hydros

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

God I love this tank

I've just come out of surgery having my zygomatic complex repaired

The first thing I did when I regained my faculties was jump on the ipad and watch your videos

Thank you I'm already feeling better

Edited by Jessy-Ray
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
:(

I thought he updated

Does anyone know what kind of metal halide fixture he had prior to the T5 upgrade ?

thanks

Edited by subzero101
  • 6 months later...

Hey all.

So its been a LOOONG time since I posted on here. Long story short. I got really busy had to sell a bunch of live stock and ended up taking down the system for about a year. I just couldn't keep up with it etc. work etc. I really couldn't bare to visit reefing sites etc. because it just made me feel pretty bummed that I had to get out. Hence the lack of updates.

Since then things have settled down, I plan on staying in my current house for several years now and my film company Fourgrounds Media has opened a beautiful new studio down the road from where I live. Long story short, I have the bug to get things going again in my rimless which sat empty in my living room for the better part of 2012.

Good News is: I am starting things back up as we speak. Currently I am cooking up some LR in my basement, cleaned all my pumps, pipes etc. etc. and am ready to start up a Zeovit system in the next couple months. The live rock is in a rubbermaid tub with a heater, skimmer, and Hydor Koralia and will likely cook for about 4-6 weeks until I am comfortable filling the display again and adding a CUC. The amount of gunk that comes out of these rocks during the cooking process is insane. For those of you who don't know about this process, the point is to starve the rock of light so the beneficial bacteria get a foothold and consume any locked up nutrients in the rock (primarily Phosphate). My rock sat in stagnant SW for several months, so there is a ton of die off but after the cooking process it will be good as new and full of life.

Plan is to keep same tank dimensions and lighting, but run a SSB with 1-2 mm substrate. In sump will be heater, skimmer, carbon, and Zeolite Reactor. That is all.

Likely eventually going to go SPS dominated again, however not sure about fish yet.. Suggestions? I am really open to ideas. I want a very very minimal looking footprint. But want to make sure I have enough LR to keep everything happy. Maybe I will put half in the sump, not sure yet?

In the past I have moved a lot and set up and tore down several systems over the course of 4 years, and have never really had a chance to see a system mature into a uber stable environment, so for the first time since I have been in the hobby I am excited to take everything really slow knowing I will be living in this house for 3-5 years minimum.

Can't decide wether to start a new thread for the new system or not. But I will post here when I do. Excited to share again with all of you.

- A.

Welcome back!!

Your tank was an inspiration when I was still pondering on my tank build. Looking forward to seeing yours back up and running again. :)

Welcome back.

Awesome vids! Can't wait to see the new tank pics.

Thats awesome news AJ glad to hear your back!

Yes! Way back when you got TOTM I was inspired to try out sps. I cant wait to see what you come up with

Thanks everyone. I am excited to get it going again. Glad to be back. As always there will be a ton of pictures and everything along the way.

Anyone have any links to other minimal reefs? Until my LR is ready, I will be looking for inspiration.

aj is back. omgomgomg

god i cant wait to see what happens

I think I am gonna go with some sort of patch reef kinda layout, but not exactly sure. I have no idea what kind of fish though... maybe a small school of Chromis or a pair of Clowns to start. I have always been more of a coral fan than a fish fan.

Yay he's finally back! Your the sole inspiration for my build.

Thanks. Glad to hear ppl are taking inspiration from my past build. A year or two ago on here there were very few shallow reefs, its awesome to see so many popped up since then.

Although that means its going to be even harder to make this new setup stand out...