Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Beautiful fish. My favorite.

Great shots....especially love the field on the second. Amazing composition it's like you're a professional or something.

Thanks D9... Technically I am a professional. Lol. I own a media production company in Ontario. We create motion picture and digital cinema. Commercials, music videos, short films etc.

Very nice. Your Anthias are beautiful!

Thanks Clav

First and foremost, congrats on your latest accomplishment on the TOTM.

Having said that, I've noticed in particular your FTS are exquisite. How do you retain the colors? I'm shooting with a Nikon D80 and can't seem to get the colors to stay. I'm almost certain there are a ton of variables/factors that come into play such as the Lighting of the fixture, lighting of the room, distance of the camera from the tank, the camera settings, and lastly the photo editings once it is uploaded.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

First and foremost, congrats on your latest accomplishment on the TOTM.

Having said that, I've noticed in particular your FTS are exquisite. How do you retain the colors? I'm shooting with a Nikon D80 and can't seem to get the colors to stay. I'm almost certain there are a ton of variables/factors that come into play such as the Lighting of the fixture, lighting of the room, distance of the camera from the tank, the camera settings, and lastly the photo editings once it is uploaded.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks dotc0m, I appreciate it.

Well I shoot photos with a mix of cameras, iPhone 4, Sony Cybershot DSC-TX5, and a Canon Mark II 5D and I use different techniques and settings for each.

Distance from the tank is relative and depends on the type of shot but it is important to stay perpendicular to the glass. Any shots that are on an angle through the glass will experience distortion.

I turn the MP10 into feed mode to reduce flow but I dont turn anything else off. Rather than try to make the water still I just shoot at a high shutter speed.

Generally speaking I try and take all photos with a wide open aperture for better depth of field and compensate for the open aperture with a faster shutterspeed. I turn off all of the lights in the room and adjust camera setting for aquarium lighting. With the Sony and iPhone there are obviously huge limitations here so I just try my best to have a decent exposure on the smaller cameras. Once I have a proper exposure, white balance is really the main concern. Even the most high end cameras sometimes only white balance to around 10K which means our 14k and 20k aquarium lights will look very blue on camera. This may require some digital editing.

I try not to adjust much in terms of contrast and saturation in post as this can skew the look of your photos and also create colors that aren't really there. The main thing is color balance and if your photo editor has it, a white balance slider. You will need to change the white balance to true reflect white. The best way to gauge this is to use the sand as an indicator if your sand is not pure white than your photo is incorrectly white balanced. 9 times out of 10 your white balance slider or color balance will just require pulling some of the blues out which will bring your colors back to what your used to seeing.

I typically use iPhoto for aquarium shots because I dont really need to edit them too much and it's simple. I use photoshop for other projects and photography but only if I need it. The iPhoto software has a white balance setting that allows me to use the eye dropper to pick a location on the sandbed where it should be white, the software does the rest. Then export upload and post.

Hope this helps.

Edited by AJ_Tsin

Slowing down around here.

Nothing significant to update except the fact that I am extremely impressed with the Finnex Titanium Heater.

I purchased this Heater to replace 2 x 250 watt Stealth Pro Heaters. Upon hearing about the whole recall fiasco I didn't want to take any chances with the Stealths.

I have been controlling it with my RKL and the heater works fantastic. I purchased the 500w version as my basement gets chilly in the winter months and since adding it to the system my temperature has only changed by .1 degree and remains steady. Highly recommend this style of heater combined with a controller for anyone who is in the market.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Technically I am a professional. Lol. I own a media production company in Ontario. We create motion picture and digital cinema. Commercials, music videos, short films etc.

Haha I knew you're a pro media guy...I was just being sarcastic because your shots are so good.

So I am considering this whole carbon dosing ULN system thing and I know you're currently using the ZEO system. I know very little about this specific system but know a good deal about what the methodology entails (read lots on vodka dosing).

Can you tell us a little about what you do daily and what sort of things you've seen change. You may have mentioned this already and I just didn't catch it but I can't seem to find anything in the past few pages but that might be due to an explosion in visitors due to winning TOTM!

Are you using all four of these bottles or more than aren't included in this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallen_Zucht_...IADSACS-vi.html

Also, have your softies and LPS been adversely affected?

Thanks man!

IMG_2049.jpg

Currently I am only dosing 0.1 ml of ZEOStart 2x daily because the 0.2 ml dose was continually fueling a bit of Cyano.

I am also dosing 2 Drops of Spongepower every other day, and 1 ml Pohl's Xtra every other day.

To rid the tank completely of any leftover Cyano I had been dosing 3 drops of ZEOBac and 3ml CoralSnow and it worked quite well!

Okay found it sorry!

So the overhead cost to start this system is about $200? Worth it?

Also, have your softies and LPS been adversely affected?

So the overhead cost to start this system is about $200? Worth it?

As of now LPS and Zoas are doing well and I dose accordingly I find if you keep up with your water changes they seem ok also it is important to feed your fish well and with high quality foods all I feed is really Spectrum Pellets, PE Mysis and Reef Roids.

Great tank, great advice, and a great inspiration!!

Thanks again for sharing!!

Thanks Mighty. I am glad glad to share.

Okay found it sorry!

For the record I think the system is worth it so far and it is a bit more effective and reliable than Standard Vodka Dosing or VSV. The ZeoReactor really makes a big difference.

Also the First Post in the thread is always up to date with everything in the tank. Equipment, Current Dosing Regime, Livestock, Parameters etc. so if you ever have general questions like this try there first.

There is also a list of Thread Highlights linked in the first post.

Wow gorgeous tank and I love the dimensions!

I wish you good luck on the midas blennies! I had two and they both carpet surfed eventually.

I agree with you regarding some of my questions would better suit the community in your thread.

I just can't seem to find articles relating to VSV. I've read most of the straight Vodka dosing, but must be missing the ones that discuss VSV and guideline dosing amounts. If you have a chance, might you be able to link, or discuss the vinegar/sugar aspect and how you incoporate that with the Vodka dosing. I apologize if I am just missing the right website to learn for myself.

Also, which test kits have you found to be good at reading the low levels of phosphate and nitrate? I have had a Salifert phosphate kit before, but it was really difficult to read.

Oh, I ended up going with MP10!

Thanks again,

Wow gorgeous tank and I love the dimensions!

I wish you good luck on the midas blennies! I had two and they both carpet surfed eventually.

Thanks. They are Lyretail Anthias BTW.

I agree with you regarding some of my questions would better suit the community in your thread.

I just can't seem to find articles relating to VSV. I've read most of the straight Vodka dosing, but must be missing the ones that discuss VSV and guideline dosing amounts. If you have a chance, might you be able to link, or discuss the vinegar/sugar aspect and how you incoporate that with the Vodka dosing. I apologize if I am just missing the right website to learn for myself.

Also, which test kits have you found to be good at reading the low levels of phosphate and nitrate? I have had a Salifert phosphate kit before, but it was really difficult to read.

Oh, I ended up going with MP10!

Thanks again,

Here are two links with VSV Info:

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-t...xperimentation/

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/the-vsv-method-faq/

It's very similar to vodka but people say VSV will help avoid bacterial monoculture as you have multiple sources of organic carbon.

I cannot comment as I am now using ZEOvit.

As for test kits: The Hanna Checker is what I use for PO4 and I use ELOS and Salifert for everything else.

Congrats on the MP10 You will love it.

Edited by AJ_Tsin

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't even realize that the Hanna Checker was only ~$50. I just saw the Hanna name and thought, expensive. Shoot most phosphate test kits from better brands are ~$30.

I will get to reading those links, appreciate it. :D

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't even realize that the Hanna Checker was only ~$50. I just saw the Hanna name and thought, expensive. Shoot most phosphate test kits from better brands are ~$30.

I will get to reading those links, appreciate it. :D

No problem. I also wrote a post on the Hanna Checker in this thread here.

Ah sorry! I have no experience with those!

No worries they do look similar.

I highly recommend these units to anyone who is attempting to carbon dose.

Why is this? to make sure there are enough phosphates for your bacteria to eat? or to make sure the carbon is working?

Why is this? to make sure there are enough phosphates for your bacteria to eat? or to make sure the carbon is working?

Because a great deal of carbon dosing is testing and tracking PO4 and NO3 to determine your dosing amounts. Tests that can do accurate readings in the <0.9-0.1 range at a minimum.

Without very accurate testing tools you may never reach an ULNS or your may overdose.

TheNordCelt

Hey Aj, got my Neo zeo-lite's yesterday and started dosing brightwell coral amino last week. The colors are amazing, everything from my zoa's tp acro's are brightening up. I'll be running a hybrid zeo/vsv system and see how that works out( I also sniffed the brightwell carbon source bottle, smells like vsv, or maybe just vv).

very organized first post -- im sorry i should have checked there before asking you anything.... -- not used to people having that kind of organization! lol You mentioned working in ontario...? Is that ontario, cali?

Hey Aj, got my Neo zeo-lite's yesterday and started dosing brightwell coral amino last week. The colors are amazing, everything from my zoa's tp acro's are brightening up. I'll be running a hybrid zeo/vsv system and see how that works out( I also sniffed the brightwell carbon source bottle, smells like vsv, or maybe just vv).

Nice sounds good I have been following your thread so I will be curious to see how it turns out.

very organized first post -- im sorry i should have checked there before asking you anything.... -- not used to people having that kind of organization! lol You mentioned working in ontario...? Is that ontario, cali?

Ontario, Canada... a bit cooler here than Cali. Yea I try to keep the first page organized as some sort of resource.

Ontario, Canada... a bit cooler here than Cali. Yea I try to keep the first page organized as some sort of resource.

<-- Barrie, Ontario -- its cold, not cooler.. lol

edit: Started reading your novel/thread -- so far so amazing. I'm in the market for a skimmer, and was looking at the deltec mce-300. A lot of people were telling me to stay away from that skimmer because I have a 20g long, and to go wtih the mce-600..!!!! But I see that you were using that for your 47g! Whats your opinion? If you had to go back and do it again, would u have gotten a higher performing skimmer, or still happy with the 300? The price difference between the two.. incredible.. I'm not getting the 600 thats for sure.. but didn't know if I should be looking at something higher than the 300.

And, the vertex skimmer package is cheaper than the deltec 300 -- how do you find the performance of the two compared?

Edited by Wilioli
<-- Barrie, Ontario -- its cold, not cooler.. lol

edit: Started reading your novel/thread -- so far so amazing. I'm in the market for a skimmer, and was looking at the deltec mce-300. A lot of people were telling me to stay away from that skimmer because I have a 20g long, and to go wtih the mce-600..!!!! But I see that you were using that for your 47g! Whats your opinion? If you had to go back and do it again, would u have gotten a higher performing skimmer, or still happy with the 300? The price difference between the two.. incredible.. I'm not getting the 600 thats for sure.. but didn't know if I should be looking at something higher than the 300.

And, the vertex skimmer package is cheaper than the deltec 300 -- how do you find the performance of the two compared?

It should be noted I was using a Deltec and a Remora-Pro on the 47 at the same time while I was shopping for a new skimmer. I wouldnt have been content with one or the other while carbon dosing.

I think the MCE 300 would be enough for a 20-40 total water gallon system if you were limited to hang-on they are sweet skimmers but if you have a sump go with something else.

Generally speaking an in sump skimmer is more efficient than a hang on. Simple physics would dictate that less energy is needed. If you have a sump than a hang on is a waste of energy and you will get less skimmate per dollar. (This is a generalization I know and there are exceptions... however its a rational way of looking at it.)

I love the vertex its a great skimmer. I would someday maybe go to a Cone skimmer like ATB or Bubble Magus but for now I am quite content with the Vertex.

Just a system update in the midst of all this TOTM excitement.

I now mix water change water in a 15 gallon tank, and also I store my ATO water in a 15 gallon tank. A few posts back I posted some shots of the new fish room.

My phosphates have dropped to <0.04 again. The rubbermaid bins I was using were definitely leeching... glad to have that problem solved and the water returning to ULNS quickly.

Edited by AJ_Tsin