inTank Media Baskets

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Stunning tank! I am looking at doing a similar setup, but I am debating between the ATI and AquaIllumination's LEDs. I like the shimmer and controlability, and low cost since there are no replacement bulbs, but at the same time, T5s light up the tank with more of a glow and you have less shadowing. What made you go with T5 over LED if I can ask? How do you think LEDs would work over a tank like yours?

Stunning tank! I am looking at doing a similar setup, but I am debating between the ATI and AquaIllumination's LEDs. I like the shimmer and controlability, and low cost since there are no replacement bulbs, but at the same time, T5s light up the tank with more of a glow and you have less shadowing. What made you go with T5 over LED if I can ask? How do you think LEDs would work over a tank like yours?

Thanks for the compliments.

Well I honestly could have gone either way but I have plans of adding an Aqua Illumiation light for my office tank and I wanted to have different lights in each locations so I can move corals back and forth depending on how they do. Also with a wide shallow layout it would be difficult to get nice coverage without having a bunch of fixtures hanging above the tank.

A lot of my favorite Tanks have these lights and I think for SPS they get the best growth patterns and color.

To tell you the truth if I wasn't getting an AI anyways for my second tank I would have been a lot more tempted to go the LED way for this tank.

If you had gone with AI LEDs for this tank, and with these dimensions, how many modules do you think it would take to get similar coverage?

Not sure at least two but even then it would probably not cover it front to back just side to side.

ZEO Update:

IMG_2049.jpg

Currently I am only dosing 0.1 ml of ZEOStart 2x daily because the 0.2 ml dose was continually fueling a bit of Cyano.

I am also dosing 2 Drops of Spongepower every other day, and 1 ml Pohl's Xtra every other day.

To rid the tank completely of any leftover Cyano I had been dosing 3 drops of ZEOBac and 3ml CoralSnow and it worked quite well!

I am dosing about 9 ml of Calcium and 9 ml of Alk daily from the BRS Two Part Recipe and 0.5 tsp of Potassion from Brightwell Weekly.

- A.

At this point I don't think theres anything elts to say exept WOW.

Ha, I take it you read through the thread?

Thanks Bangaiicard.

I am gonna try and take some DLSR shots today. We will see.

Those acans are stunning.

Yea the T5's bring the colours out again!

wow than new lamp is very sexy. The corals look so much better now. the colors are amazing, great spectrum combination man. Good stuff

Thanks Sammy, I think the colours are certainly nicer with the ATI.

I added Carib-Sea Purple Up this afternoon which clouds up the water for quite some time so as soon as it clears I will take some DLSR Shots.

Hey AJ,

The new pics are looking fantastic!

What mode do you use on your MP20?

Nige

Thanks,

I actually have an mp10 and I run it on short pulse mode. I have the rhythm synced up so the whole tank has a wave motion. I find this is the best way to keep all the water moving all the time with no dead spots. The corals love it at each and every polyp sways all day.

A couple hours after the lights turn off it goes into night mode and runs at a constant 50% speed.

Hi AJ,

This is a beautiful system.

I just put a deposit down on a tank with the same dimensions and am looking for advice on flow. Are you happy with your MP10 + return and the Koralia? I was initially thinking I would need a pair of MP10s, but your results seem to say otherwise.

Hi AJ,

This is a beautiful system.

I just put a deposit down on a tank with the same dimensions and am looking for advice on flow. Are you happy with your MP10 + return and the Koralia? I was initially thinking I would need a pair of MP10s, but your results seem to say otherwise.

Thanks Beeya,

I have mixed opinions. If you have the cash for 2x mp10 it may be worth it and ditch the koralia. One can certainly handle the flow but in my case with sugar sised sand it takes some time to get the flow as high as possible without creating sandstorms or vortexes on the water surface. I recommend one to start and see what you think. If you have coarse sand then one is 100 percent enough but keep in mind the mp10 can get pretty noisy in the top 75-100% range of power.

My 2x returns are split with "Y's" so I have return water in 4 different directions. This definitely helps as well.

Thanks Beeya,

I have mixed opinions. If you have the cash for 2x mp10 it may be worth it and ditch the koralia. One can certainly handle the flow but in my case with sugar sised sand it takes some time to get the flow as high as possible without creating sandstorms or vortexes on the water surface. I recommend one to start and see what you think. If you have coarse sand then one is 100 percent enough but keep in mind the mp10 can get pretty noisy in the top 75-100% range of power.

My 2x returns are split with "Y's" so I have return water in 4 different directions. This definitely helps as well.

My preference is for sugar sized sand, so that is certainly part of the equation and why I steered away from going all out on an MP40. Thanks very much for your advice, I will likely start out with the return + MP10 and go from there.

My preference is for sugar sized sand, so that is certainly part of the equation and why I steered away from going all out on an MP40. Thanks very much for your advice, I will likely start out with the return + MP10 and go from there.

No problem. Sounds good. Post in the Shallow Reef Thread when it's up and running.

Moved some stuff around last night and added a new Acropora Echinata. I had a hard time mounting it to a rock and the base showed a bit of TN this morning where the glue was touching. Hopefully it doesnt RTN on me...

I'll try and take some pictures when the polyps extend.