Top Shelf Aquatics

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Ha thanks Zer0 glad to update! Halide is great as well there are certainly perks to both. This light looks great hanging above the tank though.

Thanks Bruce.

Here's a few more shots of the fixture and a FTS.

• IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2096-1.jpg

IMG_2097-1.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2106-1.jpg

IMG_2094-1.jpg

IMG_2082-1.jpg

Enjoy and as always comments questions welcomed.

- A.

That is one sexy looking tank that you got there Adrian - that light was the perfect choice!

Hey AJ, next time you take pics, think you could get a shot or two of some nice zoas under your new ATI? That would be awesome to see what they look like now.

Most definitely. I keep meaning to take some DLSR shots with a zoom lens but every time I get near the tank I start blasting the rocks with a turkey baster, adding something or shaking up the zeo reactor. All which make for pretty bad photo conditions. I really need to get a shot of the new Echinata Bottlebrush. It is one beautiful coral. It seems ok this morning missing a bit of tissue near the base but it doesn't look like its going to RTN, fingers crossed.

i just ordered the same bulb combo as you. hopefully to great effect! i only have a 4 bulb fixture though. :D

Niceeee you will love it. You just get the same bulbs or you have an ATI?

That is one sexy looking tank that you got there Adrian - that light was the perfect choice!

Thanks Liz. The light certainly completes the aesthetic. The tank is maturing well at the one year point. Only a few bumps along the way... I will never buy fish from a chain store again.

Speaking of which, I am just about to complete a 7 week quarantine of 3 Lyretail Anthias. I have had horrible luck with Ich over the past several months and I finally have it beat. The Lyretails are healthy and ready to be re-added to the system after a bad bout of Crypto. All three were not accepting any food at the start of QT and weren't showing interest in anything; Not Cyclopeeze, PE Mysis, Spectrum Pellets, Spectrum Flakes.. nothing. After 20 days of Cupramine treatment I managed to get em Ich free and eating Live Brine Shrimp soaked in Selcon. After about a week of Live feeding I started to let the Brine Die off and fed them half live / half recently dead Brine. They didn't seem to mind the dead ones. Only then did I try to add in frozen brine to the mix and after a few days of picking out the live stuff only all three of them started munching on the Frozen food!

Now at the end of week seven in Quarantine and a lonely fallow tank the Anthias are eating Selcon Soaked Brine, a bit of Mysis and Cyclopeeze. They are 100 percent Ich and Parasite free and assuming the Tank is finally free of Crypto I am ready to get back to stocking this tank again... finally.

Folks no matter how delicate the fish is or how well you know the supplier or LFS Quarantine everything! It will save you a ton of headaches.

On a sidenote I also recently removed the DSB from the sump which I believe was hindering the ULNS and also providing a wealth of stockpiled nutrients. Even in only 4 days of removing the sandbed I have already seen whatever algae was left in the sump die off quickly (which caused an increase in PO4; this will quickly be taken up by the ZEO system)

So 1 Year mark, new lights, bigger sump system, new RKL controller, ZEOVit system, fuge is completely gone and I finally have some healthy livestock, looks like year two will hopefully be one of amazing colours and growth.

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions let me know!

- A.

The ZEOVit system is intriguing and I'm following along to see how it does.

I'm planning a shallow rimless for my next tank (in a while). Do you ever wish you had a larger shallow tank? I know you got the tank second hand but do you ever wish the tank was longer, wider, or deeper? (I clarified the subject in all the questions so there wouldn't be any sexual jokes) :rolleyes:

The ZEOVit system is intriguing and I'm following along to see how it does.

I'm planning a shallow rimless for my next tank (in a while). Do you ever wish you had a larger shallow tank? I know you got the tank second hand but do you ever wish the tank was longer, wider, or deeper? (I clarified the subject in all the questions so there wouldn't be any sexual jokes) :rolleyes:

Harder Better Faster Stronger...

Good to hear you're headed the shallow direction.

I think the size is great. It has a great footprint and enough room for some larger fish. It fits perfectly into our living room both as art and a living ecosystem which obviously pleases my better half on the design side of things, and it doesn't cost as much to keep everything in check with hydro bills, additives, water changes etc, afterall is it "Nano"-Reef.com and any bigger certainly wouldn't fit into that category. I got into nano reefing because I love the Banzai aspect of micro rockwork and coral placement. The only reason I got a tank this big is because I wanted to make a very open concept reef with patch scape.

Unrelated info: If you all haven't heard Radiohead announced their new album will be out for digital download this saturday which made my week! Best band ever.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Harder Better Faster Stronger...

Good to hear you're headed the shallow direction.

I think the size is great. It has a great footprint and enough room for some larger fish. It fits perfectly into our living room both as art and a living ecosystem which obviously pleases my better half on the design side of things, and it doesn't cost as much to keep everything in check with hydro bills, additives, water changes etc, afterall is it "Nano"-Reef.com and any bigger certainly wouldn't fit into that category. I got into nano reefing because I love the Bonzi aspect of micro rockwork and coral placement. The only reason I got a tank this big is because I wanted to make a very open concept reef with patch scape.

It does look like you take more time to choose your coral placement and it looks very calculated. I'll probably be doing about the same size when I'm out of an apartment and I do not have to worry about flooding the two floors below me. B)

It does look like you take more time to choose your coral placement and it looks very calculated. I'll probably be doing about the same size when I'm out of an apartment and I do not have to worry about flooding the two floors below me. B)

Ha good call. Post it in the shallow reef thread when you do!

I hope you don't upgrade this tank for a very long time B) it's amazing man.

Thanks Animal. That's a really nice compliment means a lot so thank-you. I am proud of this one.

I bought the house I am living in now mid December (Was Renting it Prior) so I know I won't have to move it anytime soon. Since I started this hobby 6ish years ago as a University student I havent had a tank in a single location for more than 1.5 years. I was always moving around and transferring stock, upgrading and downgrading etc. so I am quite excited to have a system that can actually mature and stay in one place for a while. I am quite sick of tearing something down as soon as I get it growing well.

If I get the urge to try something else I could see myself adding a few tanks in the basement and creating a very large water volumed system with multiple displays, one for frags one for Fish only or something that isn't reef safe. Who knows. All I know is I have built the plumbing and back end in a very modular fashion to allow for expansion.

Short answer: Tank isn't going anywhere anytime soon so don't worry.

Thanks again.

- A.

It sounds like you have something in mind already Aj... ;)

Nothing too finite but I have a few ideas. Im just gonna continue to get this reef growing well and stable first.

I just looked at the tank with the lights off and I have never seen my SPS with such polyp extension amazing. I'd say the ZEOvit is working...

Your new light looks awesome how do you like the bulb combo so far? Also what do you plan to do for moonlights? I've been trying to find something easy to DIY that looks good.

Your new light looks awesome how do you like the bulb combo so far? Also what do you plan to do for moonlights? I've been trying to find something easy to DIY that looks good.

Love it. Maybe add another Purple Bulb in the future instead of 6 blues though. I have some ideas. No point posting here yet if and when I do it I will post a DIY guide for you. In the meantime here is what I did in the past on my Halide: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2740105

IMG_0709.jpg

Dam you Aj... now you are making me reconsider LEDS..

those T5s are pretty flippin sweet!

Yep they are top notch. I was torn between the two but these things look amazing.

Bloody amazing and some seriously awesome vids. Loved the first one! The music was perfect.

Cheers. Thanks a lot, I am glad I could share. I really gotta get around to producing another video. Sometime soon...

Unrelated bulletin:

New radiohead is out! February is an amazing month so far.

Love that new light fixture.

I'm a huge radiohead fan but was really disappointed with this new album. I thought it would get better with time over the weekend but I'm finding myself starting to hate it.

Your thoughts on it?