Cultivated Reef

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

SO good. And Arcade Fire won a grammy :)

Yep good year for real music.

Love that new light fixture.

I'm a huge radiohead fan but was really disappointed with this new album. I thought it would get better with time over the weekend but I'm finding myself starting to hate it.

Your thoughts on it?

Thanks.

I think the album is spectacular. I have been listening to it non-stop all weekend and I think it is a perfect mix between electro and organic. I have been a fan of Radiohead for as long as I can remember and I am a big fan of the KidA Amnesiac type work so this album is right up my alley. I could see how people complain at first but I think with a set of headphones and a long walk it clicks. Radiohead albums tend to polarize their fanbase. In Rainbows was an exception because it had a ton of hype and was a very pop-esque record so people loved it. TKOL is not the case.

ANYWAYS...

Not much to report on the System... I did my first ZEOLite exchange since starting the system 6 weeks ago. Increased the flow through the reactor as well. 750 ml of ZEOLite at 75 GPH.

SPS Colors are increasingly spectacular. Most likely no pics until March FTS...

- A.

All your talk of Radiohead has made me check them out. You got me hooked haha. They are great!

Ha glad to hear it! They are certainly my top pick when it comes to music.

I agree, love this new album, and can't wait till march for the FTS! If you want to check out my thread I tried my hand at a video, it not quite AJ quality, but i think it turned out nice.

I agree, love this new album, and can't wait till march for the FTS! If you want to check out my thread I tried my hand at a video, it not quite AJ quality, but i think it turned out nice.

I will check it out I am sure its great.

The march FTS will be the best yet... so stay tuned.

SPS Colors are increasingly spectacular. Most likely no pics until March FTS...

- A.

The march FTS will be the best yet... so stay tuned.

hmmmm interesting.... can't wait!

How does your Fuge and cheato do with the ULNS?

Fuge is gone. I removed all of the Cheato 2 weeks into ZEO and removed the DSB 2 weeks after. I do know my nutrients have dropped rapidly after removing the DSB but I cannot comment on the Cheato as I removed it before it could die out and leach PO4 back into the system.

hmmmm interesting.... can't wait!

Ha good good...

Fuge is gone. I removed all of the Cheato 2 weeks into ZEO and removed the DSB 2 weeks after. I do know my nutrients have dropped rapidly after removing the DSB but I cannot comment on the Cheato as I removed it before it could die out and leach PO4 back into the system.

thanks, im planning on doing a external display fuge with macros,..but i wanted to keep a LNS in the display. i know it makes no sense.. but i was just seeing if the macros would just grow slow or actually die out.

thanks, im planning on doing a external display fuge with macros,..but i wanted to keep a LNS in the display. i know it makes no sense.. but I was just seeing if the macros would just grow slow or actually die out.

I have no experience here. However it is widely accepted that it is basically impossible to grow Cheato in ULNS so I assume other macro algae types would be the same? Maybe someone else can comment.

Speaking on nutrient export. I am quite certain both my Rubbermaid and Dura bins were Leeching PO4 into the contents of my top off water and my water change water. I have consistently had PO4 readings with a Hanna Checker even with the ZEOVit system in full swing and I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why. I have tested source water, removed the fuge and DSB that might have been storing phosphate, performed water changes, lowered doses, raised doses, not dosed at all. Ran fallow, run with livestock... tried everything. Furthermore my Nitrates test at 0.00 ish so its not like the tank has a problem exporting nutrients, rather it's having problems with something importing them...

Upon Siphoning the RO/DI water out of the large rubbermaid that feeds my ATO I felt a clear slime coating the depths of the bin and all over the Koralia Pump meant to keep the water circulating. Not sure if this was anaerobic bacteria or something leeching from the plastic but nonetheless it is unacceptable and most likely the source of my ghost Phosphate problem...

I was pushed to investigate further when yesterday I performed a 20 percent water change and phosphates raised dramatically. Recently changed my RO membrane, Filters and DI Resin and the water tests at 0.00 P04 and 0.00 TDS so the water is good going into the reservoirs.

Today I finally got fed up with the possibility of bad plastic leeching so I bought two 15 gallon AGAs one for water change water and one for ATO water. This way any water going into the system is always sitting in a clean glass reservoir.

Fish room looks like this for now. Gotta tidy up those wires with zip ties though..

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

We will see if there is a Phosphate drop/change in a week or two.

I have no experience here. However it is widely accepted that it is basically impossible to grow Cheato in ULNS so I assume other macro algae types would be the same? Maybe someone else can comment.

Speaking on nutrient export. I am quite certain both my Rubbermaid and Dura bins were Leeching PO4 into the contents of my top off water and my water change water. I have consistently had PO4 readings with a Hanna Checker even with the ZEOVit system in full swing and I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why. I have tested source water, removed the fuge and DSB that might have been storing phosphate, performed water changes, lowered doses, raised doses, not dosed at all. Ran fallow, run with livestock... tried everything. Furthermore my Nitrates test at 0.00 ish so its not like the tank has a problem exporting nutrients, rather it's having problems with something importing them...

Upon Siphoning the RO/DI water out of the large rubbermaid that feeds my ATO I felt a clear slime coating the depths of the bin and all over the Koralia Pump meant to keep the water circulating. Not sure if this was anaerobic bacteria or something leeching from the plastic but nonetheless it is unacceptable and most likely the source of my ghost Phosphate problem...

I was pushed to investigate further when yesterday I performed a 20 percent water change and phosphates raised dramatically. Recently changed my RO membrane, Filters and DI Resin and the water tests at 0.00 P04 and 0.00 TDS so the water is good going into the reservoirs.

Today I finally got fed up with the possibility of bad plastic leeching so I bought two 15 gallon AGAs one for water change water and one for ATO water. This way any water going into the system is always sitting in a clean glass reservoir.

Fish room looks like this for now. Gotta tidy up those wires with zip ties though..

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

We will see if there is a Phosphate drop/change in a week or two.

In a true ulns its virtually impossible to keep cheato or other macroalgae alive but in a lns its possible to keep algae.. what i find is the algae grows extremely slow but its still able to survive. What i would suggest is focusing on species that arent mostly dependant on excess nutrients for nourishment such as halimeda and neomersis...they are much more dependent on calcium for growth.

I know the feeling AJ i had ghost nitrates showing up and could never figure out for certain what it was..

In a true ulns its virtually impossible to keep cheato or other macroalgae alive but in a lns its possible to keep algae.. what i find is the algae grows extremely slow but its still able to survive. What i would suggest is focusing on species that arent mostly dependant on excess nutrients for nourishment such as halimeda and neomersis...they are much more dependent on calcium for growth.

I know the feeling AJ i had ghost nitrates showing up and could never figure out for certain what it was..

Thanks for the input Hype.. I have really no experience with macro algae other than cheato in a sump.

I have a feeling the PO4 will disappear now... unless my Instant Ocean Reef Crystals are the source. Anyone ever have problems with IO salt? Or Reef Crystals in particular?

I hear really great things about Reef Crystals but I've never had any experience with it. I decided to chose Tropica Marin's Bio-Actif salt

Yea I have heard great things too. I highly doubt this could be any problem

I use reef crystals. Works great for me.

Good to know. Thanks for the input. I Would be shocked if it isn't solved by removing the plastic bins from the equation. Especially since I would leave water change water mixing for a few days to a week and the Top off water bin has been full for months as I just refill it directly from the RO unit from time to time. I have always had my doubts about the bins as I dont think they were BRUTE or food grade, but the Phosphate levels were always low enough to assume they were coming from general bioload etc. and the bins were a non issue.

However now with ZEOvit in full swing the rise in PO4 from a water change can be held accountable.

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

I now have a 15 gallon tank below the sump for mixing up new salt water. Running a MJ 800 an Airstone and a Heater in that tank.

Also a 15 gallon above and to the left of the sump for the gravity fed ATO this tank contains a Koralia 1 and 0 TDS RO/DI water.

Edited by AJ_Tsin

thanks AJ and rehype for the help!

Just a note -> I've never heard any problems with IO/Reef Crystals and there are tons of tank of the month winners at RC that use basic IO. That alone speaks volumes for the salt IMO.

Adversely I'm now using D-D H2Ocean and I honestly believe that in the two months I've been on this stuff my tank has exploded with life. I can't say enough good things about this stuff. Ordering another bucket soon.

I love your fish room, very tidy.

Just a note -> I've never heard any problems with IO/Reef Crystals and there are tons of tank of the month winners at RC that use basic IO. That alone speaks volumes for the salt IMO.

Adversely I'm now using D-D H2Ocean and I honestly believe that in the two months I've been on this stuff my tank has exploded with life. I can't say enough good things about this stuff. Ordering another bucket soon.

I love your fish room, very tidy.

Glad to have all the positive reviews for IO salt. I assumed it was a decent brand and have never read anything negative which again points all fingers to the DuraTub and the Rubbermaid Bin I was using.

I was thinking of trying the H2Ocean mix a while ago, but as traditions hold true I buy IO salt at 1/2 price from Big Als every boxing day.

I love having a fish room I need to organize the wires etc. but its not too bad for a cellar. It took a bit of extra heating power in the winter to keep this the temp up but its totally worth it to not have to run a chiller in the summer. I just purchased a Finnex 500 watt titanium heater that will be controlled by my RKL the temp should stay stable with that one in there... I have it set to 77.5.

This is coming along swimmingly. The new light looks bizonkers. :D

Do you mind taking a shot from father back so we can see the stand/tank/light/part of the room together?

This is coming along swimmingly. The new light looks bizonkers. :D

Do you mind taking a shot from father back so we can see the stand/tank/light/part of the room together?

Swimmingly nice play on words... pun intended?

Thanks for the compliments.

I will certainly take a shot for you. I will be posting a new FTS and some other shots for March 1st. I will include that then.

Thanks again glad to have you read....

So I took a bunch of photos today with my 5D MarkII DLSR... first DSLR shots in several months.

And this is my living room.

FullRoom.jpg

Stay tuned for the rest over the next few days.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
Nice living room ;) I hope I can make my aquarium/animal room look nice like that :lol:

Thanks Animal. I am sure you can.

The tank is my design, the rest of the room is my girlfriends lol..