Pod Your Reef

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Thanks animal.

Other Than Mandalay Bay's Shark Reef anyone know of any other good aquariums in Vegas to check out?

I seem to recall there being something in Caesars.

Just thought I'd pop my head in to say hello. How's everything going Aj? The tank looks amazing. It really does. My favorite piece is the March 29th Montipora Digitata. Amazing picture, and amazing piece. Everything's looking great!

Just thought I'd pop my head in to say hello. How's everything going Aj? The tank looks amazing. It really does. My favorite piece is the March 29th Montipora Digitata. Amazing picture, and amazing piece. Everything's looking great!

Thanks dude. I was beginning to wonder where you went. Everything is great. I have a friend taking care of the reef at the moment and hes sent me a few pictures of all things in order.

Hope things are well you have a new setup in the works yet?

Well I came home to a safe and sound tank. Parameters are in check and everything looks great. ATO Heater and Skimmer performed flawlessly. Feels good to have a system remain so stable even while I am gone.

The Finnex Titanium Heater and the RKL have been such a great investment so far.

I just came home from a ten day trip a few days ago and everything was in check. I just had a friend feed the tank so it was not as complex as the instructions you must have left for your tank. Feels good coming home and everything is still going smoothly. +1 to the RKL!

I just came home from a ten day trip a few days ago and everything was in check. I just had a friend feed the tank so it was not as complex as the instructions you must have left for your tank. Feels good coming home and everything is still going smoothly. +1 to the RKL!

Good to hear, its an awesome feeling.

The directions I left were quite simple there was just more to do than usual. I labeled each additive with stickers that would read "3 Drops Mon, Wed, Fri" or "0.3ml x2 Daily" etc.

Glad to hear everything is ok in your tank. I have been doing the VSV and MB7 dosing now for about a week at .2ml a day (VSV) and it has been working great.

Glad to hear everything is ok in your tank. I have been doing the VSV and MB7 dosing now for about a week at .2ml a day (VSV) and it has been working great.

Awesome good to hear.

So today I woke up to a slightly cloudy tank, like someone poured some milk into the tank. The articles I have read about VSV have said this might be due to an overdose of carbon source and a resulting bacterial bloom. I assume this is what happened even though I am only dosing .2ml on a 60g total water system.

What I could not find, is what action to take from here? Still dose VSV today but cut it in half to .1ml? Only dose MB7 at 5ml per 50g like bottle says? Do no dosing of anything and run carbon?

Any thoughts? All livestock look to be doing fine as well.

Congrats sir! you have taken an aquatic canvas and turned it into pure artsmanship consisting of total genus. a tip of the hat to you good man.

Edited by Grimmpls
Congrats sir! you have taken an aquatic canvas and turned it into pure artsmanship consisting of total genus. a tip of the hat to you good man.

Thanks Grimmpls

So today I woke up to a slightly cloudy tank, like someone poured some milk into the tank. The articles I have read about VSV have said this might be due to an overdose of carbon source and a resulting bacterial bloom. I assume this is what happened even though I am only dosing .2ml on a 60g total water system.

What I could not find, is what action to take from here? Still dose VSV today but cut it in half to .1ml? Only dose MB7 at 5ml per 50g like bottle says? Do no dosing of anything and run carbon?

Any thoughts? All livestock look to be doing fine as well.

Sorry for the late reply, hope its not too late.

This is definitely a carbon overdose. The main concern here is oxygen as the bacteria bloom can quickly deplete oxygen and mess with the PH causing stress to the livestock and possible RTN.

I would not dose any VSV and add an airstone asap.

Hopefully it has cleared up by now and you have no losses. any updates?

So far I have had no losses in fish or corals. I turned up the oxygen on my skimmer and stirred the sump frequently to try and help get more oxygen in the water column. I did end up dosing yesterday but it was only .1ml. Tank seems to be much clearer today.

Still crossing my fingers!! I imagine that I might have gotten a slight carbon overdose even at .2ml due to the newness of my tank, but I thought I was taking it slow with that amount. At this point I will be sticking with .1ml of VSV, and monitoring levels.

Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

dude your tank is stll the tank i have seen i just got back in to the hobby again and your pics and vids never fail to inspire me to keep me motivated to one day have a tank as nice as your. thak you for sharing your tank with us all!

Any updates? :P

Soon...

dude your tank is stll the tank i have seen i just got back in to the hobby again and your pics and vids never fail to inspire me to keep me motivated to one day have a tank as nice as your. thak you for sharing your tank with us all!

Thanks dude! Glad to hear it.

So, any news? Been looking forward to see some more of your tank and here how things are! :D

No huge news, just been very busy with work and fixing up the house. Now that winter is over there is a ton of yard work. Everything is still growing tremendously well and the ZEOvit system is still working wonders.

Sorry it took so long to reply here everyone. I plan on updating with something really cool in the next week or so. Stay tuned!

My setup is doing well. I have been doing the MB7 and VSV method. I am only dosing .1ml of VSV and 2/3 ml of MB7 daily and getting 0 phosphate on Hanna, and 5ppm Nitrates.

However, my monti cap and one of my smaller acros are losing color. No STN, or RTN, or bugs, just a slow but steady losing color.

I am feeding a good amount of Rod's Food daily, as well as 2-3 drops of Oysterfeast daily. Some have thought that my water is too clean, and have suggested I look into dosing some of the ZEO coral foods, and aminos.

What are your thoughts? All my water params are solid, Alk is 7 which is usually good for ULNS and my lighting is the bulbs you suggested. 4 ATI blu +, 1 aquablue, 1 KZ fiji.

Before you started with a full ZEO regiment, and ran VSV, did you have to supplement to keep your water from being "too clean?"

My setup is doing well. I have been doing the MB7 and VSV method. I am only dosing .1ml of VSV and 2/3 ml of MB7 daily and getting 0 phosphate on Hanna, and 5ppm Nitrates.

However, my monti cap and one of my smaller acros are losing color. No STN, or RTN, or bugs, just a slow but steady losing color.

I am feeding a good amount of Rod's Food daily, as well as 2-3 drops of Oysterfeast daily. Some have thought that my water is too clean, and have suggested I look into dosing some of the ZEO coral foods, and aminos.

What are your thoughts? All my water params are solid, Alk is 7 which is usually good for ULNS and my lighting is the bulbs you suggested. 4 ATI blu +, 1 aquablue, 1 KZ fiji.

Before you started with a full ZEO regiment, and ran VSV, did you have to supplement to keep your water from being "too clean?"

It is possible for the water to be too clean but really unlikely in your case since you've been feeding heavily. 99% of the time the fix can be Potassium (K+) supplementation. In ULNS its quite common for the water to be depleted of trace elements, thats why water changes become even more important it becomes more about replenishing elements instead of removing nitrate. First get yourself a potassium test kit (The K-Z test is a great one) and test your levels. Generally speaking I add about 1 TBS of Brightwell Potassion powder a week and you can really notice corals like Montis color right up accordingly. STN from the base and light colored Montis are a dead giveaway for low K+.

Try this I am almost positive it will solve your problems. If not then start adding some Amino Acids as well to help pollute the water but use sparingly as this can really dirty a tank up fast.

I dont supplement much as far as extra coral food or Aminos, I just feed my fish a ton and they do the rest.

I nominated this tank on the "top ten aquarium of all time" thread on reef2reef :D

Awesome! Thanks Dasani link to thread?

Thanks so much! I might have to just dose a little potassium while I wait for the test kit to come in. I know that is usually not the best method, but I just don't want my corals to keep whitening if possible.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much! I might have to just dose a little potassium while I wait for the test kit to come in. I know that is usually not the best method, but I just don't want my corals to keep whitening if possible.

Will let you know how it goes.

Awesome let us know if it works. I am pretty sure it will.

I am sure if you dose sparingly you wont have any problems while you wait for the test kit. Just dose enough that it wont raise the level much.