Top Shelf Aquatics

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

First time doing this in a long time:

FTS Dec 2013:

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Went for a relatively minimal look. I have a few pounds of rock in my sump to compensate for the sparse rock work in the display.

I have a few snails, an emerald crab and a cleaner shrimp in there right now, and a pair of ORA Black Ice Snowflake Clowns in QT for the next several days, but they are both healthy and seem to be Ich and Brook free.

Bumping this it got buried too fast...

• Like 1

So now that things are rolling along a recap of what I am running with a few updates:

Equipment

• Protien Skimmer: Vertex IN-100
  • 20g Acrylic Sump w/ 3 sections (Section 1: Filter Floss, Temp Probe, Carbon, Skimmer, Zeo Reactor, Section 2: Heater, ATO, Section 3: Live Rock, Return Pump
  • Heater: 500w Titanium Submersible Heater
  • Water Motion: 2x Eco-Tech Vortech MP10 (One on Wave mode, one on Reef Crest), Mag 9.5 Return Pump (7 ft. lift)
  • Filter Media: 1.5 L Vertex ZEOvit Reactor w/ Korallen Zucht ZEOlite, Filter Floss, 250 ml ROX Carbon
  • ATO: D.I.Y. auto top of using a gravity fed, float valve and 15g glass aquarium reservoir.

Lighting

• 8 x 24w ATI Powermodule T5

Bulb Array:
  • ATI Blue +
  • ATI Blue +
  • ATI Blue +
  • K-Z Fiji Purple
  • ATI Aquablue Special
  • ATI Blue +
  • ATI Blue +
  • ATI Blue +

Parameters

• Salinity Level: 1.025
  • Temp: 79
  • pH: 8.2
  • Calcium Level: 420
  • Alkalinity: 7.5 dKh
  • Ammonia: 0
  • Nitrite Levels: 0
  • Nitrate Levels: <0.0
  • Phosphate: <0.00
  • Sandbed Depth: 1 in. Carib Sea Seaflor Special Grade Aragonite
  • Liverock: 40 lbs (Split between sump and display)
  • Total System Water Volume: 60g

Livestock

Fish: 2x ORA Black Ice Snowflake Clownfish (Quarantine)

Inverts: Cleaner Shrimp, Emerald Crab, 10 Astrea Snails

Regiment

I will be running a basic Zeovit routine while Dosing Two Part. Weekly 5-10% water changes. Opted for a SSB which I will vacuum as needed. Will also blast rocks almost daily with a turkey baster to keep detritus in the water column and getting filtered away.

Not sure on amounts to be dosed yet but will post as I get into a routine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 2

NIce! AJ's back! can't wait to see this tank stocked :happy:

Nor can I frankly. I am soo excited its been forever. I took a trek to some of the LFS around the GTA yesterday and man have things changed.

Also I feel good about starting from scratch, doing everything slow and the right way this time where as before I had the same rocks in like 3 or 4 setups that kept moving and expanding but never really got a chance to set everything up nicely because I was always moving from one tank to the next.

• 2 weeks later...

So things are up, clowns are in along with a small CUC, tank is all cycled and just waiting for a bit of diatom algae to clear up.. will post a FTS soonish with everything running.

Things are coming along nicely. In a few weeks I will begin a bit of frag shopping...

I am still considering what to add next in terms of fish, I am anticipating only adding one other fish to accompany the clowns, and currently have my eye on a bristle tooth tang of some sort.

Leaning towards a Tomini, but could also go for a Kole tang. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Mr. Microscope

Awesome! I'm excited for the reload.

Are you planning any sort of theme this time in terms of livestock? I'm guessing SPS since you're zeo'ing it.

BTW, what are the dimensions on this tank?

Following the rebuild!

• Like 1

Awesome! I'm excited for the reload. Are you planning any sort of theme this time in terms of livestock? I'm guessing SPS since you're zeo'ing it. BTW, what are the dimensions on this tank? Following the rebuild!

Thanks for following along.

I am planning a predominately SPS tank, I do really like zoa's but sometimes it can be hard to keep both happy. Probably going to stick with two clowns, a small tang and maybe a wrasse of some sort. I have always loved long nose butterflies and copperbands, but we will see how it can handle the bioload.

For the look I went with a very very minimal rock look which I think will look awesome with a a bonsai style SPS crest on top. Lots of depth and negative space for the eye to travel along.

I haven't decided yet, but If i can remain patient enough I would really like to do this all with frags and grow it all out instead of just dropping a bunch of SPS colonies in there.

• Like 1

Love the clean scape, looks awesome. As for tangs, I'm a fan of the Kole.

Thanks. From what I have read Kole and Tomini are both very similar in terms of being tank mates with everything.

Looks great AJ

Thanks Hype, means a lot. Pretty excited to get this going.

I just downloaded the Aquarimate app for iPhone. I love it anyone else use this? I generally just make a complex spreadsheet on google drive for all dosing, parameters etc etc, but this app is brilliant and such an awesome design. I guess I am likely late to the game on it but nice to have such an intuitive app for reef keeping around.

Thanks Hype, means a lot. Pretty excited to get this going.

I just downloaded the Aquarimate app for iPhone. I love it anyone else use this? I generally just make a complex spreadsheet on google drive for all dosing, parameters etc etc, but this app is brilliant and such an awesome design. I guess I am likely late to the game on it but nice to have such an intuitive app for reef keeping around.

Np. Ive actually never heard of that app until now well im going to go download it..thanks aj

• Like 2

Np. Ive actually never heard of that app until now well im going to go download it..thanks aj

same! sounds like a great app! thanks for the tip!

Great tank cant wait to see it compared to your other tank!

You doing anything different this time? :D

Don't be put off by the $9.99 price tag. If you do anything digitally or on paper to track your aquarium, even just for test kits and water change reminders this is worth it. It backs up online etc too.

I am tweaking a little bit, shallow sand bed w/ weekly vacuuming (last time I had a 3 inch sand bed), larger substrate SeaFlor Special Grade (last time I had Sugar Sized), extra live rock in the sump which I think will turn into a sponge refugium, to compensate for less in display, more flow with 2x mp-10s. Which should all should greatly alter the system stability in comparison to last time. I also started from scratch with really clean rock which I think is making a huge difference, there is already coraline spreading all over the rocks.

Generally speaking I will be using the same general Zeovit formula though.

Haha I won't! I will def give it a look!

Hey just wondering isn't carbon ROX to strong for zeovit regimens? I heard that once or twice! I am just learning bout ZEOVIT you seem like your using it very effectively! :lol:

I actually just ran out of ROX and ordered a bulk bag of ESV G.A.C., I don't recall having any ill effects with ROX combined with zeovit. As long as you run it kind of passive in a bag instead of a reactor or something you should be fine. If you do run it in a reactor the Zeo Guide suggests merely using half the recommended amount.

ZeoVit can be awesome and frustrating at the same time. Main mantra is underdose everything until you get it right, its super easy to overdose, and generally speaking much like other additives wait 3 days to see the effects of what you add.

The basics are very simple though if you just use the main three, Zeolite, ZeoBak and ZeoStart. It can get expensive but in a Nano Tank its not too bad.

• Like 4
Reefmaster1996

I ordered the same carbon and am going to use it in a media bag with passive flow, filling tank as I type should be filled by tommorrow morning. Why is rodi so slow!

• Like 2

I ordered the same carbon and am going to use it in a media bag with passive flow, filling tank as I type should be filled by tommorrow morning. Why is rodi so slow!

Lol thats how I felt when I was making RODI, slooooowwwww, but worth it.

• Like 1