SaltCritters.com

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Yup, that's what i mean..Wowww..a lot of plans u got there..

Can't wait to see that all thing become reality, that will make ur tank more colorfull, especially adding anthias n Longnose Butterfly :happy:

oh btw, Why u change ur light to ATI or led's ?

I like the growth and colour patterns of T5 lit SPS thats why I am considering T5. However I am in the middle of constructing a Studio Reef. Which will be lit with T5 so that will give me variety for moving corals back in forth. I will probably keep MH or LED at home and T5 at the Studio.

As for switching MH for LEDs. I would like to switch for obvious reasons. Less heat, and less energy consumption.

Thanks again for your comments.

For the record the clowns are doing well so far. They are readily eating spectrum pellets and PE Mysis. I will be keeping an eye on ammonia and I have water ready for a quick change if needed. I do not think it will be a problem as I am dosing bacteria and VSV. However I will increase the daily amount of MB7 by a couple drops for the next week or so. I also increased the flow through my carbon reactor.

I may add a blue carpet anemone in the future for the clowns not sure though as I don't want it mowing down any coral.

Here are the rest from last night's shoot. You can see how the rise in temperature last week browned out some of the nicer colours, in a few weeks they should all return back to vibrance.

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

Clowns are doing great and SPS is already colouring up again! VSV dosing is amazing. For anyone who doubts this method you have got to set up a second system and try it.

It is not for the feint hearted though. Schedule needs to be very regimented and one must have extreme attention to detail.

I have said it many times in several threads. In my opinion VSV or Vodka dosing should not be done for those of you looking to fix a problem. It should be used to enhance an already stable functioning reef. If you do not have the know-how, luck, or determination to have a stable low nutrient algae free reef using traditional means of nutrient export, than chances are you will not have what it takes to make Carbon Dosing and Probiotic reef keeping work.

I don't mean to be an elitist or anything but this is just food for thought. For anyone looking to start Vodka to beat that Green hair algae problem you have had ever since your tang disappeared, I would say its probably a bad idea.

But for those of you who do think you are ready. I highly recommend it. As long as you read a ton before you start this method is virtually flawless if you know your system well and you can read results.

nanoreef-R

Love it!

This tank really makes me wish I could do Vodka dosing. I think as soon as the ECObak from WM comes out I will try it out on my system. No matter how hard I try to convince myself I know I will not pay enough attention to the strict dosing schedule of Vodka.

:P

First off, amazing tank. Straight rippin.

I've been planning an upgrade and looking for shallow tanks like yours to get ideas, and my design is just about exactly the same size and dimensions as yours. I know you've got that halide pendant over the top, but are you totally satisfied with it? My biggest challenge has been deciding which lighting fixture to go with for a tank similar to yours, perhaps 1" shallower. I'm either also going with a halide pendant, or some sort of frankenfixture par38 LED option, still undecided. If you could do it all over again, would you still go with the same fixture? I'm currently rocking a 150W halide...maybe upgrade to 250/400W and throw some LED bars for actinics......

Anyways love the tank, keep it up!

how are the growth petterns of sps different under t5s vs halides? it makes sense that they would differ but how would they?

your tank never ceases to amase me. awesome.

I like the growth and colour patterns of T5 lit SPS thats why I am considering T5. However I am in the middle of constructing a Studio Reef. Which will be lit with T5 so that will give me variety for moving corals back in forth. I will probably keep MH or LED at home and T5 at the Studio.

As for switching MH for LEDs. I would like to switch for obvious reasons. Less heat, and less energy consumption.

Thanks again for your comments.

Love it!

This tank really makes me wish I could do Vodka dosing. I think as soon as the ECObak from WM comes out I will try it out on my system. No matter how hard I try to convince myself I know I will not pay enough attention to the strict dosing schedule of Vodka.

:P

Thanks nanoreef-r. You should try it out. Any of the biomedia seem good to me. I haven't had a need because I can keep up with a VSV dosing regime. At this point its a cost effective way to achieve ULNS if I have to travel more or something like that soon I would definitely look into ECO bak or N/P Reducing Pellets.

First off, amazing tank. Straight rippin.

I've been planning an upgrade and looking for shallow tanks like yours to get ideas, and my design is just about exactly the same size and dimensions as yours. I know you've got that halide pendant over the top, but are you totally satisfied with it? My biggest challenge has been deciding which lighting fixture to go with for a tank similar to yours, perhaps 1" shallower. I'm either also going with a halide pendant, or some sort of frankenfixture par38 LED option, still undecided. If you could do it all over again, would you still go with the same fixture? I'm currently rocking a 150W halide...maybe upgrade to 250/400W and throw some LED bars for actinics......

Anyways love the tank, keep it up!

Thanks for the compliments. I get a ton of good feedback here! Tanks to everyone on N-R this is a great community.

Currently I am ok with the Halide. It is definitely doing the job and it creates enough high and low light places to keep a range of corals. However, I think many of my SPS corals were shocked when I added them into a shallow reef with an ULNS. 250 watts is almost too much for only 12 inches of water. Many of my LPS and all of my Ricordias Melted away because of the strong light and clean water. I have the fixture almost 14 inches above the surface of the water and it still burns some soft corals . The SPS love it though.

I have thought about switching to ATI T5s but because i am setting up a fully T5 lit studio reef at my workplace I would like to keep different lights at home. I would definatly consider moving to LED for the heat and energy benefits and if I had the cash I would buy two Aqua Illumination fixtures to light this system instead of the Halide.

To answer your question frankly. If i didn't have a T5 tank in the works I would 100% buy an ATI T5 light for this system now and make the switch.

However I have the ability to have the best of both worlds and move corals back in forth so until one outdoes the other I won't change anything.

how are the growth petterns of sps different under t5s vs halides? it makes sense that they would differ but how would they?

your tank never ceases to amase me. awesome.

They grow more evenly as the flourescent light is not unidirectional. This also goes for the colouring of the coral. In an ULNS you get very vivid SPS colouring however with the harsh MH shadows not all of the coral becomes coloured or benefits from the light.

Ideally a T5 Fixture would do with LED's to create the shimmer effect.

Also I am glad you like to check out my reef. Hopefully it keeps getting better and better. Who knows maybe someday it will be on the front page here? ;)

Edited by AJ_Tsin
This tank is stunning!

I've been following this tank for a while now and am really impressed!

Those SPS frags are awesome.

Animalmaster,

I'm quit familiar with your builds as well. Glad you're along for the ride here I'm happy to have you following.

Thanks for all the good feedback. Any suggestions? ... From anyone for that matter.

- A.

animalmaster6
Thanks for all the good feedback. Any suggestions? ... From anyone for that matter.

- A.

need another HD video :D

lol Yes another HD video would be awesome.

How about adding a bunch of LPS? Like bubble corals, acans, and favias?

And how about a new FTS? :)

need another HD video :D

lol Yes another HD video would be awesome.

And how about a new FTS? :)

I will actually be shooting a new video soon. Only this time with a RED One Digital Cinema Camera. It shoots 4x HD resolution. It will most likely be the most production value on a reef video ever... overkill? I don't think so...

Also I just shot a FTS about a week ago you may have missed it, it's the first post on the previous page.

To celebrate the return of life to the 47g waters here is a June FTS and several other photos taken this afternoon. Enjoy and always questions and comments welcomed.

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

- A.

I will surprise you all with a new video someday soon..

Well I turned off the pumps to feed some Polyp Labs Reef Roids today and found an opportunity to take a top down shot. One shot turned into several iPhone photos which show off the real vivid colour of this reef.

I placed an order for a Canon 5D Mark II today so I should be able to take some real photos again very soon!

Until then enjoy the pixelated Apple hardware snapshots.

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

Edited by AJ_Tsin

I missed this part of the comment/question/

I had some Acan and Favia and still have some hidden away in here, however because of the shallow depth and super high light from the halide, crazy water movement, and the tank being an Ultra Low Nutrient System, many LPS corals dont do too well in my water.

The light is too strong and the water too clean... never thought I'd have these problems.

cheryl jordan

Your tank is amazing, is that a squamosa clam you have there ?

I was wondering about fish I only see the two clowns, so that is to keep the waters pristine ?

Gotta a bunch of questions, but I gotta look at the rest of the thread. ;)

That's too bad -_-

Hmm. Somehow I didn't see the FTS. Looks awesome!

Thanks. I will try to get some more HD content soon.

Your tank is amazing, is that a squamosa clam you have there ?

I was wondering about fish I only see the two clowns, so that is to keep the waters pristine ?

Gotta a bunch of questions, but I gotta look at the rest of the thread. ;)

Yes it is a Squamosa, I have had it for almost 3 years now.

The reason I only have two clowns is because the system is still quite young. I had two black clowns for the first two - three months and then I added a butterfly which introduced Ich it died very quickly taking the two black clowns with it. There is a post a few pages back detailing this unfortunate occurrence.

None-the-less the two clowns you see now were recently added after I left the tank empty for 5 weeks to be rid of any Ich. They are very healthy and it seems the system has already stabilized from the addition of these two so I will be adding a few new fish slowly over the next couple months.

I plan on adding Lyretail Anthias, a Chevron Tang and perhaps a Longnose Butterfly. As I am dosing VSV a heavy bio load is actually a good thing. Right now the water is too clean and I am adding a lot of supplemented nutrients to keep everything healthy.

As for your other questions ask away. I am sure they may be answered somewhere in the thread but as new people are always reading this I don't mind re-answering many questions as long as it helps everyone.

Thanks for the compliments. I have had a ton of great feedback lately.

Looks like I will be adding a Chevron Tang sooner than later. I will be picking up a healthy Chevron before the weekend.

This tang is perfect for the system. As it feeds on detritus and does not need the same space requirements as some of the other small tangs it will fit in well with my system. Because the reef is a 47 gallon shallow the footprint is actually quite large at 9 square feet which is larger than most standard 75 gallon footprints.

The system is extremely clean but because there is just so much sand bed exposed, detritus can gather quite quickly in the corners. The Chevron will most likely devour this. I will be picking up the tang from a local reefer who brought in a large order of fish recently. This particular tang is tiny and already eating everything that he puts in the tank!

I am also thinking of plumbing in another 50 or so gallons into the basement for added water volume bringing the system to a total of 127 gallons. This may become a frag tank depending on what i can figure out for lighting.

My only concern with adding more water is that my skimmer is only rated for over 100 gallons. Would adding all the extra water actually hurt the system because the skimmer is less effective?

I think your water is so clean the skimmer most likely doesnt have to work as hard so adding more water imo wont hurt it. and for lighting fishneedit.com has a 48" 4 bulb T5HO fixure for $130!! idk what the shipping would be like to canada but thats what im getting for my "custom frag tank" i modified.

I think your water is so clean the skimmer most likely doesnt have to work as hard so adding more water imo wont hurt it. and for lighting fishneedit.com has a 48" 4 bulb T5HO fixure for $130!! idk what the shipping would be like to canada but thats what im getting for my "custom frag tank" i modified.

Thats good advice. I will check out the light for sure.

As far as the skimmer goes. I am more worried about the VSV dosing aspect. Because it is necessary to "over-skim" while dosing carbon I may need to upgrade to a 200g skimmer or something like that.