Pod Your Reef

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Just checking to see if you have decided yet on any new fish? Also I was looking and couldn't find anything on how thick the glass is on the tank.

NaClCrocodile

I wouldn't go with an Achilles, but a Purple/Yellow Tang I'd think would be fine for at least a few years. If it get's huge, just sell it back or something. A black tang would be awesome but so pricey!

Just checking to see if you have decided yet on any new fish? Also I was looking and couldn't find anything on how thick the glass is on the tank.

Haven't yet. I still have to wait about 2 more weeks to make sure all the ich is out of my system.

I wouldn't go with an Achilles, but a Purple/Yellow Tang I'd think would be fine for at least a few years. If it get's huge, just sell it back or something. A black tang would be awesome but so pricey!

I think I may go purple! We shall see definitely not yellow. They are beautiful but too common.

Ok idk if youve answered this already but did you build the tank yourself, and how much did it cost you in glass for the starphire? love this tank

Ok idk if youve answered this already but did you build the tank yourself, and how much did it cost you in glass for the starphire? love this tank

It is a custom tank however I bought it second hand so I am not sure the actual cost.

I had it priced out to buy from Miracles and it would have been around $800 - $900

Edited by AJ_Tsin
systemtool

I thought I read somewhere that you shut this tank down. Glad thats not true.. I love this tank! I'm at the other end of the lake from you, in Kingston. Some of the Ctenochaetus genus tangs stay much smaller (<7") I'm planning a rimless 52gal and I want to add a yellow eye kole tang. Pictures don't do these things justice.. they are awesome.

I thought I read somewhere that you shut this tank down. Glad thats not true.. I love this tank! I'm at the other end of the lake from you, in Kingston. Some of the Ctenochaetus genus tangs stay much smaller (<7") I'm planning a rimless 52gal and I want to add a yellow eye kole tang. Pictures don't do these things justice.. they are awesome.

Definitely not. You may have read about the shutting down of my old 29g Biocube, however that was to upgrade to this system!

Thanks for the tang info I will look in to all of this before I buy another fish. In the meantime, thanks for reading and check out my new thread: AJ_Tsin's Custom 13.5g Studio Rimless Reef.

I am setting up a little rimless in my studio/office! The progress is slow but it will come together soon.

NaClCrocodile
Checked out the new build too.. verdict.. I like it!

Have a good May 2-4 dude! (hardly anyone will get this.. haha)

Canadians :huh:

Anyway, I've FINALLY got my Green Leaf Aquariums Rimless 33G into the house. After this weekend I should have the salt in and start the cycle. I'll throw a link up when I get some decent pics. I'll be reading up on MB7 & Vodka this weekend. Hopefully the parents will believe my Vodka need :D.

Checked out the new build too.. verdict.. I like it!

Have a good May 2-4 dude! (hardly anyone will get this.. haha)

Haha, you have a good one too. I am off to the cottage!

Canadians :huh:

Anyway, I've FINALLY got my Green Leaf Aquariums Rimless 33G into the house. After this weekend I should have the salt in and start the cycle. I'll throw a link up when I get some decent pics. I'll be reading up on MB7 & Vodka this weekend. Hopefully the parents will believe my Vodka need :D.

Hahahah,

If they don't believe you have em watch you mix it up with Vinegar and Sugar, you'd have to be crazy to drink that.

Look forward to seeing it!

systemtool
Hahahah,

If they don't believe you have em watch you mix it up with Vinegar and Sugar, you'd have to be crazy to drink that.

I think thats called a sweet and sour screwdriver when you add OJ! haha..

Hey.. when you put your sand in, did you wash it at all? Or did you just throw it in there?

I rinsed it a bit in RO/DI but not much.

I laid the sand bed and then added water. If you put a (very clean) dinner plate on the sand and then pour any water onto the plate when adding it, it will not cloud the tank at all. I think theres a picture of this in the first post.

Yeah.. in order to get the sand how i wanted it i couldn't rinse it to get some of the cloudyness out.. so my tank is pretty cloudy. I think it will clear up soon though since i'm running some carbon in a small filter.. but we shall see what happens.

You think it will clear up more over the course of a few days? Due to the constant top-offs because of evaporation? That's what i'm thinking(hoping for).. but i'm not sure.

Yeah.. in order to get the sand how i wanted it i couldn't rinse it to get some of the cloudyness out.. so my tank is pretty cloudy. I think it will clear up soon though since i'm running some carbon in a small filter.. but we shall see what happens.

You think it will clear up more over the course of a few days? Due to the constant top-offs because of evaporation? That's what i'm thinking(hoping for).. but i'm not sure.

It will clear up soon. I would be surprised if it didn't already clear up overnight. Find somewhere to run filter floss for a few days and it will get the crap out. In fact find somewhere to run filter floss all the time. It real helps to get rid of the solid waste before it pollutes the water.

Yup.. your completely right. I was able to fit a small HOB filter on my sump, so that's where i was going to run carbon and some other stuff.. but i'll definitely be adding filter floss.

Thanks for the advice dude! Much appreciated.

Yup.. your completely right. I was able to fit a small HOB filter on my sump, so that's where i was going to run carbon and some other stuff.. but i'll definitely be adding filter floss.

Thanks for the advice dude! Much appreciated.

Glad I could help.

I added some more zoas today pics to come later.

NaClCrocodile

So. Where'd those pictures get to?

What do you think of Zeovit? I was doing a little reading on it and looking at some SPS tanks using Zeovit. It seems like it's either VSV or Zeo if you want an extreme SPS tank.

So. Where'd those pictures get to?

What do you think of Zeovit? I was doing a little reading on it and looking at some SPS tanks using Zeovit. It seems like it's either VSV or Zeo if you want an extreme SPS tank.

I will add the pictures soon. Just got my hands on a 7D so some more video and photos to come soon!

I personally haven't used Zeovit although I think its a good system. I have seen a ton of successful tanks running the system.

VSV and MB7 work quite well together as well. It uses the same logic as ZeoVit and costs a fraction of the price.

Aj, what is your lighting schedule for this tank? also what type of reflector is that?

Edited by reefer413
Aj, what is your lighting schedule for this tank? also what type of reflector is that?

I have actinic LEDs come on at 2:00pm until 3:30, 20k MH On 3:30 - 10:30 (7 hrs), Actinic LED's off at 11:30 pm.

The sump light is a little power compact fluorescent which is on opposite to the display.

I have no idea what type of pendant/reflector it is. I have tried to find it online a few times but with no luck. It is running on a 250 watt IceCap Ballast.