SaltCritters.com

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

if u dont mind i have a few questions.

why dont you use zeolites? what is the signifigance of them?

what does the coral eat if all the nutrients are taken out of the water? what do you feed your coral? and what do you mean by feeding heavily?

thanks!!! this concept seems cool and i trust ur opinions bc ur tank is amazingggggg!

problem just scale back.

This MB7+Vodka+Amino Acid combo is basically the ZeoVit system with no Zeolites.

I am still new to this methodology but so far soo good. The only issues have been with the water being too clean and the lights being too bright. Which in this hobby are good problems to have.

Let me know if you have any questions or want me to go into further detail on any of this. If you want to start this method feel free to ask more questions as this post assumes you already know a bit about carbon dosing. Also if anyone is going to start this using this method let us know so we can follow your progress from day 1.

if u dont mind i have a few questions.

why dont you use zeolites? what is the signifigance of them?

what does the coral eat if all the nutrients are taken out of the water? what do you feed your coral? and what do you mean by feeding heavily?

thanks!!! this concept seems cool and i trust ur opinions bc ur tank is amazingggggg!

I havent used zeolites yet because I havent needed them. I am open to it just havent had any real issues with just dosing VSV and Microbacter7

If you do some reading or a search on Zeolites either in the Zeovit Method or NeoZeo the Brightwell method, you will see why they recommend using them. Its basically an ammonia and trace element remover but it also becomes a great place for Bacteria to form. It is then advised to shake the Zeolites daily and the "mulm" enters the water column feeding the corals. Generally speaking people buy a Zeovit Reactor, which has a handle to shake up the rocks. Also the folks at the NeaZeo camp recommend using a canister filter with very low regulated flow. They then suggest that once daily you open the valve for an hour allowing heavy flow which would also stir up the rocks. Not sure which one is better as I havent used either.

If I got a good deal on a reactor or something I would definitely conside adding Zeolite but for now everything is working fine no need to change something that works.

I feed the corals Reef Roids, as well as a mixture of tiny frozen foods Cyclopeeze Rotifiers etc. This food is generally mixed with Selcon and Brightwell CoralAmino in RO/DI water. This combined with heavy feeding of good quality food to the fish (I only use PE Mysis and Spectrum Pellets) creates enough food for the corals.

It's better to have to add food for nutrients then to have too much. This is why many peoples SPS are brown.

Hope this clears things up..

Just watched your video! Outstanding job done on this tank. That 4 min video must of taken you hours to edit.

Thanks for your compliments Urbaneks.

I make video and digital cinema for a living so it didn't take that long... but it is time consuming nonetheless.

Thanks again for reading everyone.

For those of you following this thread for the Vodka dosing aspect. It is important to note that I am now dosing VSV as per the infamous Glassbox method found here.

I switched to VSV as I was getting a significant amount of Cyano from just vodka. To remedy this I stopped vodka for 2 weeks and dosed only MB7. This allows the good bacteria in the MB7 to outcompete the bad bacteria (cyano). After the two weeks I started back up on VSV 0.2ml for 3 days, 0.4 ml for three days and now 0.8ml So far the cyano has not reappeared and the nutrients and diatom growth in the system have plummeted once again thanks to the Organic Carbon Source.

The recipe for the mix I am using is 200 ml Vodka, 50 ml White Vinegar, 1.5 Tbsp of sugar.

As of right now I am dosing 4 drops of MB7 Daily and 0.8 ml of VSV daily and I am testing Phosphate and Nitrate often waiting for the sweet spot when they start to drop again.

I switched to VSV as I was getting a significant amount of Cyano from just vodka. To remedy this I stopped vodka for 2 weeks and dosed only MB7. This allows the good bacteria in the MB7 to outcompete the bad bacteria (cyano). After the two weeks I started back up on VSV 0.2ml for 3 days, 0.4 ml for three days and now 0.8ml So far the cyano has not reappeared and the nutrients and diatom growth in the system have plummeted once again thanks to the Organic Carbon Source.

The recipe for the mix I am using is 200 ml Vodka, 50 ml White Vinegar, 1.5 Tbsp of sugar.

As of right now I am dosing 4 drops of MB7 Daily and 0.8 ml of VSV daily and I am testing Phosphate and Nitrate often waiting for the sweet spot when they start to drop again.

in BOLD: :happy:

- u use 0.8ml daily or every three days ?

Btw, I do not use a skimmer, do you think I could use this theory ?

Edited by naswa312
in BOLD: :happy:

- u use 0.8ml daily or every three days ?

Btw, I do not use a skimmer, do you think I could use this theory ?

Naswa,

To clarify it is daily. The mention to three days is the slow increase of Carbon.

For example in the first week of dosing on Mon, Tues, Wed, I dosed 0.2 ml each day, then on Thursday Friday and Saturday, I increased it to 0.4 ml each day, then on Sunday I increased it to 0.8ml.

It is important to slowly add and increase the Carbon as it will shock or even crash the system if you add too much too quickly.

In your case you cannot I repeat CANNOT dose vodka or VSV without a skimmer. The increase in bacteria consumes a lot of O2 out of the water which can kill the fish and cause huge PH swings. The skimmer oxygenates the water and counter balances this, and also it is the main source of nutrient export. Not only do you NEED a skimmer in the method it is strongly recommended to over skim using something that is rated up to double than your required skimming levels.

To simplify this method in a paragraph: By adding bacteria and Organic Carbon to the tank, you are basically creating a strong biological CUC. The bacteria consume Nitrate and Phosphate and is fueled by Organic Carbon (Vodka or VSV.) the bacteria is jumpstarted by the Vodka (or vsv) and as it rapidly multiplies it consumes all of the unwanted nutrients in the water. The bacteria then becomes thick and gets eradicated by the protein skimmer before it has a chance to keep living.

Anyone about to dose vodka should read this first!

Yea, i already read that article at reefkeeping,,,

i guess for now, I just rely on Rowaphos n Coil Denitrator to reduce nutrient in my tank :happy:

Thx AJ.. ;)

id love to see some close up pics of before and after vsv if possible

I'll see what I can do, I dunno how many pictures of this reef I will have pre vodka though. I dosed almost the the whole time. When I didn't dose the water was so fresh it was an ULNS anyways.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if you have any other positive effects from VSV dosing not seen in just vodka dosing...I mean your reef is already awesome ;) I have been researching the many different methods of achieving an ULNS and have ultimately decided to go with Brightwell's neozeo method...the cheapest possible way of course. Guess I'll see how it turns out, but VSV is my alternative.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if you have any other positive effects from VSV dosing not seen in just vodka dosing...I mean your reef is already awesome ;) I have been researching the many different methods of achieving an ULNS and have ultimately decided to go with Brightwell's neozeo method...the cheapest possible way of course. Guess I'll see how it turns out, but VSV is my alternative.

I think you will find that the best method is a hybrid in terms of cost. I am thinking of adding NeoZeo to my mix but I think paying for any Carbon Source from a store (other than the liquor store) would be a waste of money they are all great products but still, buying Vodka Vinegar and Sugar is far cheaper.

have you ever considered using the warner marine ecobak solid vodka pellets? they sound like they simplify this method a ton. i might try those instead of vodka b/c it sounds easier, but it is newer technology w/o much proof behind the theory

have you ever considered using the warner marine ecobak solid vodka pellets? they sound like they simplify this method a ton. i might try those instead of vodka b/c it sounds easier, but it is newer technology w/o much proof behind the theory

I have considered it, again in the long term I think the daily maintenance routine is better for the system as it keeps you engaged. Furthermore homemade VSV is cheaper and the most direct recipe. Theres no room for additives or markup i know exactly what I am putting into my water because I mixed it myself. This is just preference and as more and more products come out there are tons of ways to do the same thing.

so what type of fishes are you intending to get this time round?

Not sure.. Any suggestions? I would like to get a longnose butterfly and perhaps two black clowns again. I am not sure. I have thought about purple or black tangs but even though the system is shallow and there is a ton of open room to swim I still don't know if a Tang is a great idea.

I don't trust Angelfish so they are out of the picture.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
I have considered it, again in the long term I think the daily maintenance routine is better for the system as it keeps you engaged. Furthermore homemade VSV is cheaper and the most direct recipe. Theres no room for additives or markup i know exactly what I am putting into my water because I mixed it myself. This is just preference and as more and more products come out there are tons of ways to do the same thing.

Not sure.. Any suggestions? I would like to get a longnose butterfly and perhaps two black clowns again. I am not sure. I have thought about purple or black tangs but even though the system is shallow and there is a ton of open room to swim I still don't know if a Tang is a great idea.

I don't trust Angelfish so they are out of the picture.

Hey AJ, sorry about the fish you lost! For my tank which I am about done with (inspired by your tank =)), I just have to learn how to plumb it correctly. I've been looking at a couple different Anthias as my main focal fish, mainly the Bartlett's. They are very colorful and active which I love. I have a pair of clowns now in my BC14 and all they do is hang out around my korila nano in the corner of the tank, lol. So I've been looking for more active fish for my new one. Have you considered any type of Anthias?

Hey AJ, sorry about the fish you lost! For my tank which I am about done with (inspired by your tank =)), I just have to learn how to plumb it correctly. I've been looking at a couple different Anthias as my main focal fish, mainly the Bartlett's. They are very colorful and active which I love. I have a pair of clowns now in my BC14 and all they do is hang out around my korila nano in the corner of the tank, lol. So I've been looking for more active fish for my new one. Have you considered any type of Anthias?

Thanks Justice,

I have looked at Anthias before. Lyretails caught my eye. I am also setting up a 13 gallon custom at my office so whatever fish I have there I don't want at home. I'd love to see your setup.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Thanks Justice,

I have looked at Anthias before. Lyretails caught my eye. I am also setting up a 13 gallon custom at my office so whatever fish I have there I don't want at home. I'd love to see your setup.

Any other suggestions anyone?

Heres the link to my build.. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235968

I did it all myself in an effort to save money. Overall I'm happy with everything considering I've never done any of this type of work before. I just need to figure out how to plumb it and then I'm good.

TheNordCelt

I know they're not the most popular fish, but I love a school of chromis. I have 3 in my BC29 and I call them my poor mans Anthias:)

I know they're not the most popular fish, but I love a school of chromis. I have 3 in my BC29 and I call them my poor mans Anthias:)

I have thought about chromis as well. These are good suggestions. Thanks.

I have thought about chromis as well. These are good suggestions. Thanks.

This thread has cleared 10 000 views! Thanks for reading everyone. Theres a lot more to come from this system. Thanks again and as always comments welcomed.