Specs: Custom Built 13.5g Rimless Display , Custom Built 10g Sump

Liverock: 12 lbs.

Water Parameters:

Ca: 420

dKH: 7

Salinity 1.024

pH: 8.2

Livestock: 2 Sebae Clowns, Emerald Crab, 4 Hermit Crabs, 4 Astrea Snails

Equipment: Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 Cone Skimmer, Current 20\" 6 Bulb Nova Extreme, Stealth 100w Heater, Vertex Pro Bio Pellets in a Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor, Ikea Vika Alex Stand, VorTech MP-10

Other Info: VSV and MB7 Powered

===========================================================

Design-1.jpg

Well folks I have begun the planning and assembly of an office/studio reef. I own a motion picture production company in Canada and we are just completing the construction of a new studio and production facility. As I move into my new exec office I will also be setting up a nice little 13.5 gallon reef. Hence the name \"13.5g Studio Rimless Reef\"

The plan is to have a custom rimless built and then to use a ten gallon AGA for the sump. I will be going for a rimless look with a modern stand. It will be lit by 20 inch t5 lights as I plan to house SPS, some LPS and a ton of Zoas. I considered LEDs but I like the look of T5s and as I will likely be moving to LED at home soon enough. (MH is just too hot for small tanks like this and wasn\'t even considered). I would like different lighting types in each system in order to monitor growth and color in different lighting conditions so T5 will be the final choice. Like the 47 gallon rimless at home this tank will undertake a minimalist look and feel however in this case the studio reef is more meant to impress clients and to add some more posh to the already pimped out office.

I plan on running an AquaC Nano Remora or something similar in combination with VSV and Microbacter7. The sump will house a bare bottom, no fuge, no sand, no rock. Just a skimmer and a heater. Haven\'t decided on a return yet but whatever it is will be connected to a Hydor Flo Rotating Deflector into the tank to randomize flow. Depending on how well that works that may be all that is needed for water motion. I haven\'t decided on fish yet...

Here is a shot of the office in which this system will reside. I just moved in this week so things are a bit crazy.

IMG_0979.jpg

(A few pictures of the studio I speak of can be found in the blog portion of our website http://www.fourgrounds.com) I am excited to get a nano going again. This little tank is gonna rock.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of right now I have only bought the sump, the stand.

Here are the first shots of the rimless 10 gallon sump.

photo-5.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

I purchased a stand from Ikea which will be perfect for the pedestal European look I am trying to achieve. It is short enough that when sitting in a chair in an office, the tank will be eye level.

I also placed an order with Low's Glass in St. Catharines Ontario for the cut and drilled glass. I will be assembling the tank and plumbing as soon as the glass is ready. As for a protein skimmer I will be ordering one shortly.

And here are a couple pictures of the stand chosen from Ikea.

It's dimensions are:

Width: 14 1/8 "

Depth: 22 7/8 "

Height: 27 1/2 "

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

The aquarium will sit flush with the edges of this stand and will weigh in at about 13.5 gallons. The tank will be drilled out the back and the plumbing will be drilled down into this stand.

More photos to come regarding the actual build and the lighting. You can find the "Vika Alex" cabinet here.

Freakin sweet.

Subscribed bro. B)

Glad to hear it!

Interesting.

Believe me this thread will be far more interesting in a few weeks.

Is anyone using the Remora Nano? I am wondering if it is worth it or if I should get the standard remora.

NaClCrocodile

So modern the sump is rimless. Absolutely overkill lol.

Which fixture are you going to use for the T5s?

So modern the sump is rimless. Absolutely overkill lol.

Which fixture are you going to use for the T5s?

I know I know, I originally bought the rimless 10 gallon for the display but then decided to have a custom display built instead. I may not use the rimless for the sump as it seems like a waste of a little tank. It was only $15, however they are pretty hard to find.

where you get the 10g rimless from?

I bought it from a horrible local pet store. They happened to have a dusty only tank kicking around so I picked it up.

However I am 90% sure that if you buy a Marineland 10 or 20g kit it is rimless. the Hood and canopy comes right off revealing just glass.

nanoreef-R

I would do remora nano with a MJ 1200

I used mine of a 19 gallon and if run continously it really works nicely. It kinda makes me sad since the tank was torn down and the Remora's been sitting in a box for months!!

Vodka dosing?

I know I know, I originally bought the rimless 10 gallon for the display but then decided to have a custom display built instead. I may not use the rimless for the sump as it seems like a waste of a little tank. It was only $15, however they are pretty hard to find.

I bought it from a horrible local pet store. They happened to have a dusty only tank kicking around so I picked it up.

However I am 90% sure that if you buy a Marineland 10 or 20g kit it is rimless. the Hood and canopy comes right off revealing just glass.

keep the rimless for a sump. it will look way clean!! and your right about the marineland kit but it comes with all that hood and filter crap.

I would do remora nano with a MJ 1200

I used mine of a 19 gallon and if run continously it really works nicely. It kinda makes me sad since the tank was torn down and the Remora's been sitting in a box for months!!

Vodka dosing?

Good to know I wasn't sure what the consensus on these Remora Nano's is.

I will definitely be dosing VSV and MB7. Although I am only at the office Mon-Friday so it will be interesting to see what kind of dosing schedule I come up with.

keep the rimless for a sump. it will look way clean!! and your right about the marineland kit but it comes with all that hood and filter crap.

I will probably end up doing that. I just could see myself using that tank in the future.

I thought so about the Marineland Kits.

UPDATES! :D

+1

Not much to update here as I am still waiting for the custom glass to arrive.

However I did choose a light:

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

I picked up a used Current T5 fixture for a very good price. I would have liked to buy an ATI fixture but they don't have anything in 20".

This fixture is a Current 20" 6 Bulb Nova Extreme which I am sure most of you at N-R are very familiar with. As my custom tank will be 13.5 ish gallons this will be perfect for SPS.

The glass should be ready this week updates to come as it comes together.

Cool beans, following along here.

Glad to hear it.

I will not be using the light legs BTW. I will be looking to either hang the light from the ceiling or create a hanging stand of some sort behind the tank.

Stay tuned all this thing will be filled soon!

Nice skimmer, says it needs 8" of water, will there be enough in the 10 gallon after you consider overflow if there is a power outage?

Nice skimmer, says it needs 8" of water, will there be enough in the 10 gallon after you consider overflow if there is a power outage?

Hmm. I didn't realize that.

I wonder if running it with 7in of water would be the end of the world.

Because the display is only 13 gallons I could probably get away with 8 inches anyways. The sump is 12 inches tall. That leaves plenty of room for overflow. Almost a third of the sump or 3.3333 gallons.

More thoughts?

NaClCrocodile

The price is comparable to the SWC isn't it? I'd go that route, cone skimmer with nothing but RAVE reviews in the RC SWC Cone Skimmer Thread. I'm going that route in my tank with a 10G sump. I'd really like to have a custom acrylic sump built though.

I was just thinking it would be awesome if you could hang that light. Looks like you're already on it :) It will make it soooo sleek looking. Also once it's set up I'll be jealous of your clients. Any idea on bulb selection though? You should look at the new UVL bulbs once they finally hit the market.

I was just thinking it would be awesome if you could hang that light. Looks like you're already on it :) It will make it soooo sleek looking. Also once it's set up I'll be jealous of your clients. Any idea on bulb selection though? You should look at the new UVL bulbs once they finally hit the market.

what are the new UVL bulbs? for T5? havent herd of them

what are the new UVL bulbs? for T5? havent herd of them

I am not too familiar with these either, however I don't think they come in 18" 20 watt lengths anyways. Which is a hard size to find. Any info would be great.

The price is comparable to the SWC isn't it? I'd go that route, cone skimmer with nothing but RAVE reviews in the RC SWC Cone Skimmer Thread. I'm going that route in my tank with a 10G sump. I'd really like to have a custom acrylic sump built though.

I have seen these skimmers too however the BM 3.5 is a bit smaller and I think it will be cheaper as well. I will be ordering from Canada and a supplier nearby can get the BM NAC 3.5 not sure about the SWC.

That is interesting thought I will definitely price check them both because those SWCs are awesome.

Archived