AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

escaudio

Thanks for sharing the pics! I like the jelles, did you catch the name of those?

nanoreef-R

Just a question, what vodka (brand) do you dose?

sammy113

You need to buy at least a $100 vodka bottle

:lol: JK any cheap one will do the trick. I use cheap Nikolai lol

Dkike
I suppose it could be for fish only, but I am not sure why you would really want to do it. The primary effects are for enhanced coral colouring and growth. To me, it seems like a lot of work for fish that will be already be happy in a Low Nutrient System, no need for the "Ultra Low."

The Vertex is great for the price. If you have a lot of money to spend then there are definitely better choices Deltec, ATB etc... but for the price and value its a good skimmer and I would recommend it to anyone.

How do you keep your tank without algae?? and the awsome clear glass?

AJ_Tsin
Thanks for sharing the pics! I like the jelles, did you catch the name of those?

I forget what the actual name of them was. They were really cool to watch though.

I use Smirnoff Triple Distilled, but only because I got it at a Duty Free Store for cheap. Any brand is fine.

You need to buy at least a $100 vodka bottle

:lol: JK any cheap one will do the trick. I use cheap Nikolai lol

Exactly any vodka will do. 40% preferably

How do you keep your tank without algae?? and the awsome clear glass?

Through a combination of heavy skimming and regular water changes the vodka dosing helps of course. There are a ton of little steps that all contribute to a clean tank. RO/DI water correct feeding habits, a balanced CUC. Cleaning of the rocks and sump (Turkey Baster). If you read through this thread you will see a lot of my methods outlined in detail. Its pretty straight forward but everything works together to create a balanced ecosystem.

Crackerballer

Man the DIY moonlights look awesome. Do you mind sending me a parts list and some brief instructions? I really want to do this on my sundial so I can have some lunars, I think I will go with 2 white and 2 blue.

AJ_Tsin
Man the DIY moonlights look awesome. Do you mind sending me a parts list and some brief instructions? I really want to do this on my sundial so I can have some lunars, I think I will go with 2 white and 2 blue.

Parts list and DIY instructions here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=229976&hl=

Edited by AJ_Tsin

AJ_Tsin

Well I got back alive from the NAB Conference in vegas. It was awesome seeing incredible film and video technology at NAB and it was also great to see Las Vegas and some sweet aquariums at the Mandalay Hotel and The Rainforest Cafe.....

But the best was being surprised seeing an aquarium at the NAB conference. Who would think I would see a Salt water aquarium at a booth showcasing media technology.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

No idea how well they treat the animals which could make this a bad idea, but it looked cool regardless.

Any comments? Good or bad.

nanoreef-R

Vegas. What do you expect :P

AJ_Tsin
Well I got back alive from the NAB Conference in vegas. It was awesome seeing incredible film and video technology at NAB and it was also great to see Las Vegas and some sweet aquariums at the Mandalay Hotel and The Rainforest Cafe.....

But the best was being surprised seeing an aquarium at the NAB conference. Who would think I would see a Salt water aquarium at a booth showcasing media technology.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

No idea how well they treat the animals which could make this a bad idea, but it looked cool regardless.

Any comments? Good or bad.

I suppose anything goes in Vegas.

The coral is dead and fake though.

Edited by AJ_Tsin

nanoreef-R
The coral is dead and fake though.

They're so cheap!

MedicBMC

That aquarium is awesome! That's the one at Mandalay bay right?

So I read that vodka dosing article. Very informative and definitely something I want to do. I was wondering I'm still cycling....should I start dosing? Or wait till my tank is stocked and has some waste for the bacteria to convert?

AJ_Tsin
That aquarium is awesome! That's the one at Mandalay bay right?

So I read that vodka dosing article. Very informative and definitely something I want to do. I was wondering I'm still cycling....should I start dosing? Or wait till my tank is stocked and has some waste for the bacteria to convert?

I dosed through my cycle and it was virtually nonexistant. I would dose MB7 alone for two weeks during the cycle then begin vodka. Just take it very slow maybe even

half of the reccomended doses.

It should speed up your cycle and also help establish low nutrients right from the beginning.

nikeSB

hey dude i finally got my tank running, i tried to follow the valley thing you have going on but its hard to tell right now cause of the extra rocks i have in it

AJ_Tsin
hey dude i finally got my tank running, i tried to follow the valley thing you have going on but its hard to tell right now cause of the extra rocks i have in it

I checked it out, looks great, glad to inspire. I got rid of a lot of rocks for this new setup as long as you have enough for filtration and bioload less is more.

AJ_Tsin

Well its been almost a month since any updates. I must say it has been a grim one. About 4 weeks ago I added a Copperband Butterfly to my system. I was reluctant to do so because of their sensitivity and desire or lack-there-of to eat prepared foods. However, I went ahead and added one.

I neglected to quarantine the fish because I was afraid he would get too stressed being moved twice so I added him directly to the display. You can imagine where this is going.

The fish was great for a few days it was eating Frozen Mysis, picking at the rocks etc. It seemed I had conquered the elusive Copperband addition. Then on the fourth day the fish showed signs of Ich in the morning, it was dead within hours. A very quick death. I kept an eye on my pair of clowns they seemed normal. So a couple weeks went by and the system stayed stable fish looked healthy etc. Then within a day the clowns both showed signs of Ich they were still eating and acting normal so a day later I brought home a 20G to set up a hospital tank. Unfortunately they both died the same day...

I knowingly took a risk in not quarantining the Butterfly, and the results were the worst possible. I feel tremendous guilt for the fish and feel the need to post this to continue raising awareness. I know it goes without saying, but this is a delicate hobby we undertake and we must treat the creatures with incredible delicacy because until more companies like ORA come around, the resources are expendable.

In the future I will try to only buy tank raised livestock and corals in an attempt to lessen the impact on the natural world.

With all this being said this months FTS is rather empty. I will be leaving the system bare for at least a month to allow the Ich to complete its life cycle and to be eradicated.

Once again always quarantine your fish and please read as much as you can before you purchase these living creatures. I humbly consider myself pretty well read in the realm of salt water aquaria, and still these risks and diseases can destroy even the best of ecosystems.

The good news is the corals and inverts are better than ever I added a couple new colonies of SPS and they are growing quickly. Coraline algae is coating all of the pumps and the sump and the Carbon Dosing is going extremely well.

I switched to VSV recently as a bit of Cyano was showing up with just Vodka. I currently am doing 0.6 ml of VSV and 4 drops of Microbacter7 daily. This seems to be working well as the water is clear corals are bright, nutrients are low and nuisance algae is non existent.

I have added some low-res photos from an iPhone as the DSLR is in Europe for the month with my girlfriend. Thanks for reading and I hope to slowly restock the system over the summer months. I had planned on shooting another video this month however with an empty tank it would be pretty lame.

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Edited by AJ_Tsin

nanoreef-R

Ha, I was just reading up on Cyano when only vodka was dosed! I'm currently doing Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo w/MB7 and love the results!

Why not just buy a reactor and use solid vodka dosing?

AJ_Tsin
Ha, I was just reading up on Cyano when only vodka was dosed! I'm currently doing Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo w/MB7 and love the results!

Why not just buy a reactor and use solid vodka dosing?

Because Vodka is cheap, and you can also drink it.

I chose this method because it seems the most natural and it doesn't require dropping tons of money on BioFuel or something like that.

I may add a Zeo reactor but for now everything seems to be going well.

patrickbush

sorry to hear about the fish, that's really to bad. just goes to show, patience, even when all appears well. I'm guilty of this same mistake myself, but luckily was able to treat by feeding fresh garlic every day, freshwater dips and hypo-salinity.

mdannyg

sorry to hear about your losses, but thanks for posting your experience/advice. i'm glad your corals are doing well.

AJ_Tsin
sorry to hear about the fish, that's really to bad. just goes to show, patience, even when all appears well. I'm guilty of this same mistake myself, but luckily was able to treat by feeding fresh garlic every day, freshwater dips and hypo-salinity.

sorry to hear about your losses, but thanks for posting your experience/advice. i'm glad your corals are doing well.

Thanks guys. I was pretty upset about it but can't really do anything now.

Cheers and keep reading. It seems like everyday you learn something new in this hobby.

NaClCrocodile

I think I may go full captive-bred/ORA for my fish from now on. It really isn't worth pillaging the reefs for a fish that doesn't even do well in captivity IMO. I love Copperband Butterflies but unless it's ORA or Diver's Den certified, it's not going to happen for me. It's too bad that fish like this are so hard to keep but I think it adds to the allure.

Have you ever had aiptasia issues? That's the one thing that sets a good tank apart from a great one. A great tank has no pests (algae, aipasia, vermitid snails, etc).

Oh, how about vermitid snails? I seem to get them off frags all the time.

AJ_Tsin
I think I may go full captive-bred/ORA for my fish from now on. It really isn't worth pillaging the reefs for a fish that doesn't even do well in captivity IMO. I love Copperband Butterflies but unless it's ORA or Diver's Den certified, it's not going to happen for me. It's too bad that fish like this are so hard to keep but I think it adds to the allure.

Have you ever had aiptasia issues? That's the one thing that sets a good tank apart from a great one. A great tank has no pests (algae, aipasia, vermitid snails, etc).

Oh, how about vermitid snails? I seem to get them off frags all the time.

I have never had Aiptasia problems I had one show up in an older setup. I added a peppermint shrimp and have never seen one again.

I had flatworms once but it never became an epidemic. No other pests to date. (knock on wood).

This tank is pristine. Too bad it took negligence to kill the fish...