Cultivated Reef

The Hun's Acropora Heaven 60g UPGRADE

kthehun89

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the replies.

So I'm currently shopping for a lighting upgrade. I have given the T5's a thought, but I'm going with a 250w 20k pendant/fixture. This upgrade will allow me to more than adequately light SPS all through the tank. The 150w sits about 2" from the water now with both PC's close too, so I don't think heat will be a factor from a light 6-8" from the water surface.

Looking into which 20k bulb to go with...any suggestions?

Any comments regarding the lighting?

K

I think you'll be happy with 250w of metal halide for lighting. I have a 250w Sunpod over my Solana and it seems perfect. I couldn't imagine 150w being enough. The Sunpod does put out quite a bit of heat. But I have a fan blowing between it and the tank lid to minimize the heat. Seems to work ok.

thanks nemo. now any suggestions on a specific fixture? or bulb? I'm leaning toward a Radium 20k

Ok so new question. I'm going to put my six-line in my other 35g tank and I'm thinking of getting another fish. I'm thinking about an ORA Mandarin or a Flasher wrasse...or both? any input???

Ok so new question. I'm going to put my six-line in my other 35g tank and I'm thinking of getting another fish. I'm thinking about an ORA Mandarin or a Flasher wrasse...or both? any input???

I'd say both. Man, I miss my solana!

Yeah I may get both. luckily my other tank is cycling so I have another month to decide. Sure thing that I'm moving my sixline, but don't know what to replace it with...

So I'm def. getting a 250w for this sucker. Just gotta wait til payday then it's on. Bumpo for more commentos

I'm reconsidering not upgrading. I would seriously have to re-arrange my LPS to accommodate the intense light. I think the color my light gives is great, and the growth is good. Is the growth from a 250w really that much more than my 150w phoenix and 2, 65w actinic. Plus all the added heat...

Any ideas?

In other news: my last and final SPS piece for the tank. A large frag of the Tyree Pink Lemonade from ReefGardner/ReefGoddess/Morgan. Thanks for the hook up I can't wait for the piece tomorrow!

So until I pass my first kidney stone, I find myself in break from school mired in flomax and oxycodon. Luckily, I can take pics of my tank. I also got my Tyree Pink Lemonade frag today! Here are some pics. Threw the camera on the tripod for these :P

2 branch Pink Lemonade, polyps are peeking out already

DSC_0050.jpg

Noticed an acro crab in my ORA Marshall bottlebrush

DSC_0052-2.jpg

Red planet and crocea

DSC_0058-1.jpg

ORA Roscoe's blue

DSC_0059-3.jpg

Tricolor valida, yes it is that purple!

DSC_0061-1.jpg

ORA tort

DSC_0062.jpg

Apple scoly and his friend, acan

DSC_0068-1.jpg

Rainbow acan

DSC_0074-3.jpg

Crazy maroon, lightning blue center, insane acan

DSC_0072-1.jpg

Creamsicle acan

DSC_0069-3.jpg

Nemo Niblets

I did a 250w EVC 20k in a Lumenmax 3 reflector with an Icecap electronic ballast... Don't do it, too much power.

I would recommend a 150w radium in a lumenmax 3 over a 250w sunpod. The reflector makes a HUGE difference. You will get great light spread and plenty of light. Make sure you're running carbon and phosban, so your water is nice and clear. I had a sunpod before the 250w and the reflector, to me, seemed to double the power... I never got PAR tests.

I did a 250w EVC 20k in a Lumenmax 3 reflector with an Icecap electronic ballast... Don't do it, too much power.

I would recommend a 150w radium in a lumenmax 3 over a 250w sunpod. The reflector makes a HUGE difference. You will get great light spread and plenty of light. Make sure you're running carbon and phosban, so your water is nice and clear. I had a sunpod before the 250w and the reflector, to me, seemed to double the power... I never got PAR tests.

yeah I'm def. thinking about keeping the light.

So the Pink Lemonade frag didn't make it unfortunately :/ RTN'd probably from shipping stress... I did find a local mini colony of "Purple Lemonade" that i'm trading for so hopefully this'll do better :D

So I traded a frag of my blue tort for the "Purple Lemonade" frag, and it's interesting. The guy said when it colors up its yellow with purple tips, now its yellow-green with blue-er tips. I enjoy it, but I gotta get the Pink Lemonade!!! it's currently next to my large Pastel War and Peace favia, check it out

DSC_0073-2.jpg

Thanks envy!

So I've been considering a little interior upgrade. I'm going to try and make an archway out of lr rubble and will position it going from the front left to the middle of the rock structure. This will allow me to plant some of my SPS frags on this arch, making them less crowded. I'll be doing some more research and will start building it in a few days

Looks great. Can't wait to see the arch with the sps on it

thanks, me too. I'm getting some rubble pieces soon and some putty to make it. Hopefully I will be able to remove some of the LR in the tank already and go for one of the more bonsai look

awesome corals! and I love lemonade

Thanks oxi-clean man, it has already "improved" colorwise. It's a little more yellower and the tips of the tips are turning purple. I think it may be an Acropora nana...

here's a closeup of the Tyree favia

WarandPeace-1-1.jpg

that my friend is one hell of a coral/picture

Thanks, I wish those bubbles were gone. I'll set the camera on the 'pod and i'll see if I can get a better shot

Archived