ReefCleaners.org

The Hun's Acropora Heaven 60g UPGRADE

kthehun89

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything is looking good. I got caught up in exams and haven't done a waterchange in a month and a half. My phosphates are at about .5 so i'm trying to lower that. The SPS' colors are looking a little washed out so I'm taking out my carbon...

Here are some shots.

DSC_0059-1.jpg

DSC_0054-1.jpg

DSC_0035-2.jpg

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0037-2.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0043-1.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Twice a month dosing probably isn't a good idea if you have full SPS. I would do a daily/every other day dosing. I do 5ml of B-Ionic two part and magnesium every other day, and I don't have have much SPS. I would do a good sized water change with good quality water and slowly raise your parameters.

yeah i upped the dosing too about every 3 days. I'm waiting for my brand new RO/DI unit to do a water change. shoulda been here friday...

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got an RO/DI unit as well as an ATO, and I'm loving it. I'm about to start dosing kalk in my ATO. I'm noticing great growth in practically everything. I'm maintaining a dosing of 3ml a day and nitrates and phosphates are 0. Here some pics

DSC_0007-8.jpg

one of my red planet frags

DSC_0004-4.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Tri-color frag i broke off, and stuck in a hole in the LR, already encrusted :D

DSC_0016-3.jpg

Sir Mix Alot, my YWG. He has a pistol shrimp friend

DSC_0027-2.jpg

DSC_0037-3.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg

One of my purple deaths has a pimple

DSC_0059-2.jpg

My Sixline checking out what's gonna happen to him if he doesn't start being nice :ninja:

DSC_0065.jpg

Comment!

is that really a fish skull in the acan? the tank is very nice. :)

I had a silver side head left over from the bag and I fed it to the head and it ate it sure enough

like the tank. good to know about dosing as well, I just added some SPS and just started dosing to raise my Cal. need to update my tank with pics now.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the comment. the dosing may seem overwhelming, but its easy!

Nice tank.

If you are dosing cal and alk, you should also make sure you also dose (and test for) magnesium. A deficiency in mag will cause a precipitation in cal /alk.

Definitely easy to do and worth it. What I did was cut out pizza-shaped slices to fit into the impeller's gaps. This has increased the amount of bubbles by a good bit, and has decreased their size. If you dont want to spend a $100+ on a new skimmer, then do this mod!

I want to do the mesh mod. Is it hard? I was about to run to home depot. would they have what I need to do the mod?

did you drill in your stock pump as well?

I want to do the mesh mod. Is it hard? I was about to run to home depot. would they have what I need to do the mod?

did you drill in your stock pump as well?

I just used some leftover sponge i had laying around, cut into pizza slices and fit in between the impeller's blades. No drilling done. just gluing :)

I just used some leftover sponge i had laying around, cut into pizza slices and fit in between the impeller's blades. No drilling done. just gluing :)

hmm..maybe i'll try that.

I heard some people drill a few holes into the stock pump, and the plastic venturi that sticks up as well, and that helps make it skim better.

Think I need to do that?

I heard some people drill a few holes into the stock pump, and the plastic venturi that sticks up as well, and that helps make it skim better.

Think I need to do that?

I'd just stick with the meshmod for now, and see how it works. maybe drill a few small holes in the impeller blades. I have heard of people modding other skimmers and those producing WAY TOO MANY bubbles.

Think I need to do that?

Ok. So what sort of sponge did you use? Did you just super glue big, thick pieces of foam in between the blades?

what does that do to make it better?

Ok. So what sort of sponge did you use? Did you just super glue big, thick pieces of foam in between the blades?

what does that do to make it better?

Yeah just superglue them in with regular filter foam. The foam breaks up the incoming air more, causing it to skim more effectively

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a nice little update to my thread.

Everything had been going well with the tank. I had a little cyano out break, but my SPS have been growing like mad. My Sapphire skimmer and MP10 quit out, so i threw the stock skimmer back in, and put some power heads in. I need a new impeller for the skimmer, and I've sent my MP 10 for repairs. Anyway, here are some actinic pictures of the tank in its current state. Ask if you'd like me to tell you what any particular one is...

FTS

DSC_0024-3.jpg

Upper left with Jeremy the clam

DSC_0028-3.jpg

Little lower down

DSC_0026-2.jpg

Bottom Left

DSC_0030-1.jpg

My 5yo Crocea, Big Steve, and some colorful corals.

DSC_0029-3.jpg

And a nice shot from one of my vivariums

DSC_0010-5.jpg

great looking tank! very of jealous of the fast growth you get with your sps... it took almost a month for my slimer to encrust!

great looking tank! very of jealous of the fast growth you get with your sps... it took almost a month for my slimer to encrust!

Its all about lighting and water quality. I do 10% water changes weekly, sometimes more. And lighting is key, I have a 150w Phoenix 14k which gets AMAZING growth along with 2, 65w PC's

Great news, I'm picking up my friend's babied Sigma 100mm f2.8 macro, so expect some amazing shots soon!

K

Its all about lighting and water quality. I do 10% water changes weekly, sometimes more. And lighting is key, I have a 150w Phoenix 14k which gets AMAZING growth along with 2, 65w PC's

150w phoenix 14k - check

10% weekly water changes - check

Amazing growth - ??

just something i gotta live with i guess

150w phoenix 14k - check

10% weekly water changes - check

Amazing growth - ??

just something i gotta live with i guess

nah dude, just be patient, things only recently took off, i guess after a long acclimation. most frags have been in since january, now 3 mo's.

Well I got my new Sigma 105mm f/2.8. I LOVE this lens! I'm still getting used to it but here are some o.k. shots.

Garf Bonsai

DSC_0116.jpg

Tri-Color

DSC_0118.jpg

Frogspawn

DSC_0072.jpg

Acro Polyp

DSC_0091.jpg

Terry the Clown

DSC_0109.jpg

Red Cap and Zoa's

DSC_0034-2.jpg