Pod Your Reef

The Hun's Acropora Heaven 60g UPGRADE

kthehun89

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, tank is having it a little rough right now. It's been pretty hot here in SD and I dont want my halide overheating my tank while I'm gone from 9-6 and often after that. So I usually just manually turn the halide on and off...

Also, my coral beauty has started, erm...wreaking havoc causing some nasty tissue loss on my green mille and my big garf colony. I fragged the garf, but i'm ok with it since i got that piece from a break down for really cheap...The green mille can grow back. I'm getting this sum##### out and sumping him...my gf got it for me so can pawn it.

And quite frankly, I dont like the solo halide light. I am acquiring two, 2x24w T5's so I can run some actinics and fiji pinks for supplementation. The halide is a good light, it just doesn't do justice to my pieces.

other than that every thing is doing great growing well. The halide has definitely boosted growth.

you said you got some new sps what did you get? how has your asd rainbow mille been on growth mine seems to have slowed down now that it full encrusted the pug.

Thanks guys, tank is having it a little rough right now. It's been pretty hot here in SD and I dont want my halide overheating my tank while I'm gone from 9-6 and often after that. So I usually just manually turn the halide on and off...

Also, my coral beauty has started, erm...wreaking havoc causing some nasty tissue loss on my green mille and my big garf colony. I fragged the garf, but i'm ok with it since i got that piece from a break down for really cheap...The green mille can grow back. I'm getting this sum##### out and sumping him...my gf got it for me so can pawn it.

And quite frankly, I dont like the solo halide light. I am acquiring two, 2x24w T5's so I can run some actinics and fiji pinks for supplementation. The halide is a good light, it just doesn't do justice to my pieces.

other than that every thing is doing great growing well. The halide has definitely boosted growth.

Just a thought because I love my led's, but have yopu considered something like some actinic Stunner strips, or even just retroing some led's in? You would need that many for just supplementation.

• 1 month later...

From what I've heard on the local boards he lost the majority of his sps in the "great blackout of 2011". All jokes aside, big time bummer, it was a gorgeous collection.

From what I've heard on the local boards he lost the majority of his sps in the "great blackout of 2011". All jokes aside, big time bummer, it was a gorgeous collection.

o that suck Chris what happend?

update your thread man if you need me to frag some of the stuff i got from you let me know man.

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response. Life has been hectic lately, and the circumstances have made it especially difficult to come back to this thread. It is with a heavy heart that the crash is in fact reality, well as much of a crash as losing all your acropora can be. Here is what happened:

Sept. 8, 2011- Around 3:30pm the power across most of southern California went out due to an error in Arizona. I was at work, a research lab, and immediately was thrust into DEFCON 5 making sure that all our cell stocks and sensitive stocks remained at appropriate temperatures, etc. Getting home was a joke since traffic was insane. I finally got home around 7 and checked the tank. Everything looked good, I even began aerating and stirring. The tank drained like 4" down since the return nozzles were pointed down, and this overflowed the sump. It was dark and I didn't check the status down there because I was rushing to pack for my ensuing 2 week long vacation, and I did not realize the water overflowed. I had to leave early the next morning, and I was forced to leave the tank in the hands of my sitter. When the power came, back on, my power system and RKL burnt out (like literally burnt out), and my equipment didn't comeback on. This spelled doom for my acros. It especially sucked since I was in Tennessee and I knew the tank had died when my sitter checked on it.

My apartment managing company then made my sitter move the tank because there was water damage reported, so whatever was super stressed out eventually died in the tank move. It literally was a case of Murphy's Law. What went wrong did, and I paid the price. All my acropora are gone, yet my fish, clams, LPS, montipora survived.

When I got back, I was obviously upset, but I soon accepted what happened. I ended up converting my 27g shallow sump (24"W x 22"D x 12"H), into a nice AIO. Using my 60's skimmer, fan, powerheads, return, and light, I pieced together a nice shallow reef, amazing top-down view of my survivng corals and clams. I did have my pico, which survived my trip, so I was able to seed my new tank with some nice SPS colonies: my efflo, blue-green tenius, blue mille, and red tabling acro. I also scooped up a purple efflo colony and tabling tri-color colony for next to nothing from local vendors...Expect an update and a new thread soon.

The whole time I was in Tennessee, I knew that was the last time I saw my tank as I knew it. I felt weird the whole time, but I did my best to enjoy the little vacation with my girlfriend and her family visiting my family. I did find solace in seeing that my mom's SPS are ridiculously huge in her tank in TN. She has a joe the coral about 10" tall and 5" wide, and also a huge red and pink mille that has blue tips. Her tabling acropora cytherea is amazing as well. I will be getting some nice pieces from her when I go back soon.

It sucks that this happened, I had allot of really nice pieces which I will miss. I have thought about what to do with the skeletons and I have decided to re-create them into art pieces. I have previously experimented with painting coral skeletons, as well as live rock, and I will attempt to make some nice desk display pieces and the like. I will re-create each acro as it was in the tank, and will match the colors to photos (and you guys know how many pics I have). Hopefully in the next few weeks I can post some progress.

I am also very thankful for several local reefers who have helped me piece things back together and house corals/clams while I set up my shallow tank. I have hooked up several people with frags, and people have kindly offered me frags which makes me really happy. I really miss my acros, but I am thankful for what survived, especially my 3 amazing clams. Be sure to stay tuned for an update on the new set up.

Thanks for reading!

K

I am so sorry for you loss, your acros were beautiful! That top down shot made me drool.

I am glad that you were able to save some, you tank was amazing. I give you so much credit for not letting that knowledge ruin your trip it would be very hard for me to do that.

I am waiting for that new tank pics! Do you have the thread started yet?

Again my sympathies for your loss.

I'm sorry about your loss. I know exactly how you feel. A month or so ago my power went out killing most of my fish. The one downside to this hobby, no power = no tank.

I'm glad to see your back up and reefing. Take some pics of the new setup soon. :)

dam dude thats sucks so bad! i would prob cry! well if you ever want to meet me half way i can give you a small small frag of you asd rainbow mille. A frag of a frag lol. and some others for free to easy the pain.

I am so sorry for you loss, your acros were beautiful! That top down shot made me drool.

I am glad that you were able to save some, you tank was amazing. I give you so much credit for not letting that knowledge ruin your trip it would be very hard for me to do that.

I am waiting for that new tank pics! Do you have the thread started yet?

Again my sympathies for your loss.

Thanks! It really means allot. If anyone can understand a loss like this, it's a fellow reefer, so I appreciate your sympathies. I'm gonna take some shots today, but it's not too pretty I must say. I am using my 250w with a 14k Phoenix but my SPS are just starting to color up... Also, the tank has some etching on the front and side from some chemical, so I want to polish out before it looks real nice. I'm gonna start a thread soon as well.

I'm sorry about your loss. I know exactly how you feel. A month or so ago my power went out killing most of my fish. The one downside to this hobby, no power = no tank.

I'm glad to see your back up and reefing. Take some pics of the new setup soon. :)

thanks allot, I definitely will not let this freak accident sour this hobby for me. I hope that my new tank can really blow that tank out of the water, based on how I have it scaped and plummed...Stay tuned for pics...

dam dude thats sucks so bad! i would prob cry! well if you ever want to meet me half way i can give you a small small frag of you asd rainbow mille. A frag of a frag lol. and some others for free to easy the pain.

Fsho dude, PM me and we can work something out. I can trade some nice pieces from my blue tipped green and yellow tenius. Pics coming soon...

Archived