inTank Media Baskets

New Unoffical 10 Gallon contest coming up

Damsels R Cool

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
LR wasn't counted in the pico contest budget ;)

Exactly, Im not trying to make rules here, but I just want to make sure there will be as little issues as possible before I hop on, I just don't want to be in a contest with everyone arguing I want it to be fun.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok lemme look through this thread. Find all of the rules. Re post them then we can go through them. Hold on just a moment everyone...

Ok heres the rules (these will be edited don't worry ;)):

-Total tank volume should be basically 10g. As in no sumps, but a HOB filter is allowed, also converting the tank into an all-in-one is allowed.

-Refugiums are allowed, but costs will count as part of the budget.

-Budget of 300$?

-All used equipment utilized in contest will be deducted from your budget at 75% of the lowest advertised price from the cheapest place you find it (a link must be provided).

For equipment purchased online, only deduct the actual price of the equipment from the budget, don't deduct shipping costs.

-All live stock can come from anywhere, sponsors, LFS, whatever. If you use something from a current tank, you deduct 75% of its fair market value.

If you purchase livestock online, you deduct the actual price paid for the livestock from the budget, but don't count shipping costs.

-You can mod all you want as long as you keep your total volume at 10 gallons and deduct costs from your budget.

-Budget is done on the honor system since we all know what its all worth.

In short, you've got 6 months to make a sweet tank on a limited budget. Lighting fixtures, tank, filters, skimmers, rock and livestock all count towards budget, so manage wisely.

-Begins November 15th

It depends. It would count as your HOB filter and should be the same volume as a ac70 for example. It would come out of the budget as filters come out of the budget.

It depends. It would count as your HOB filter and should be the same volume as a ac70 for example.

seriously who would make a fuge the size of an ac 70?? lmao you may as well use an ac 70 so i could add an ac110?

IM CALM! :P hahahahaha im not trying to be argumentative jacob just giving you a taste of what the contest will be like at one point or another.

my point on the fuge is that if somone uses an ac 70 as there hob it only adds maybe half a gallon. but if someone uses a huge arse hob filter like an ac110 or something similer they could add 3+ gallons ;) there should be a limit on the size of ur hob

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I have another question, I don't want to cause any trouble but it's just a concern of mine, what if a website or lfs has an item on sale at the time of purchase, for example say a website has light fixtures 10% off this week, does the sale price go towards the budget or regular advertised price?

what about hob refugiums??? and if we make it our selves? does just the cost of material come off the budget?

If your going there why can't I go with a sit on the back 10 gallon refugium sump --- drilled into main tank ???

I think it should be HOB (commercial type) filter only ---- otherwise I could come up with back to back 10 gallon tanks where one 10 gallon is basically hanging on the back of the 2nd (display) 10 gallon-- for much less then I could buy a commercial HOB.

For that matter I could 20 long hanging on the back of 10 gallon display. Keeping it commercial HOB filters eliminates all this (and I would be OK with a commercial HOB refugium just not a home made of any design size I so thought up)

I have another question, I don't want to cause any trouble but it's just a concern of mine, what if a website or lfs has an item on sale at the time of purchase, for example say a website has light fixtures 10% off this week, does the sale price go towards the budget or regular advertised price?

I see your point. I think that sale price would go towards the budget. Since we are looking for the lowest price, that would make sense right?

IM CALM! :P hahahahaha im not trying to be argumentative jacob just giving you a taste of what the contest will be like at one point or another.

my point on the fuge is that if somone uses an ac 70 as there hob it only adds maybe half a gallon. but if someone uses a huge arse hob filter like an ac110 or something similer they could add 3+ gallons ;) there should be a limit on the size of ur hob

thanks for hazing me :P

Ya I see your point as well. Maybe ac110 should be allowed but anything bigger will not be allowed?

If your going there why can't I go with a sit on the back 10 gallon refugium sump --- drilled into main tank ???

I think it should be HOB (commercial type) filter only ---- otherwise I could come up with back to back 10 gallon tanks where one 10 gallon is basically hanging on the back of the 2nd (display) 10 gallon-- for much less then I could buy a commercial HOB.

For that matter I could 20 long hanging on the back of 10 gallon display. Keeping it commercial HOB filters eliminates all this (and I would be OK with a commercial HOB refugium just not a home made of any design size I so thought up)

just so you know many nano reefers and others have my "homemade refugiums" on there tank as i have built and sold well over 1000 of them as well as pico nano aquariums sumps etc... you might call your stuff homemade. i call it hand made ;)

and i wasn't talking about a huge ass 30 gallon fuge more like the size of an ac110

He is asking because he wants to make his own lol. I think the ac110 should be the largest size allowed and HOB refugiums only, and they have to be the same volume or smaller. Hows that sound?

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
I see your point. I think that sale price would go towards the budget. Since we are looking for the lowest price, that would make sense right?

Yeah it would, but a problem I see arising is others may get pissed because they missed the sale and had to pay more, that was the problem with corals in the 12" cube contest, some where able to get better deals than others that's why they have base prices of corals, that contest doesn't include hardware into the budget this one does so I see this may become a similar problem.

Hmmm. I see.

I wanna see what Damsels R Cool thinks, I mean I am the "mod" but a change like that should be his decision. But that would make sense.

He is asking because he wants to make his own lol. I think the ac110 should be the largest size allowed and HOB refugiums only, and they have to be the same volume or smaller. Hows that sound?

Sounds good to me -- I have a AquaClear 500(110), 300(70), and a 200(50) all sitting around waiting for a project. I also have extra tanks, bulk heads and glass drill bits so I am just trying to clarify where I can go with this.

Depending on what we decide you may have to subtract that from you budget. That depends on if we decide to count equipment as part of the budget.

I think the ac110 should be the largest size allowed and HOB refugiums only, and they have to be the same volume or smaller. Hows that sound?

Just checked because I was curious. The AC 110(formally 500) holds approximately 1.25 gallons of water.

Still undecided between a AC 110 or a AC 70 with powerhead suppliment.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

Yeah like I said Im just trying to get the kinks out and want the contest to be fair and fun, If I got in on this contest I have no intentions on blowing a ton of cash for it, but if for some reason for example someone wanted to throw a mp10 in there tank and I had a koralia in mine that doesn't mean mine can't look better than his, I don't think where judging the hardware aspects of the tank, rather the livestock- coral/fish/rockscape, I think HW should be dropped from the budget and maybe just drop the budget to $200, but that's my opinion but I'll go with what everyone agrees on, i just don't want this turning into the drama that happend on the cube contest.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I know Jacob, and it's not my decision neither, If everyone want's to stick with the original rules Im fine with that, I just don't want someone getting pissed if I get a sweet deal on something while someone else payed a arm and a leg for the same item, Im a :ninja: when it comes to finding deals, I'll search a thousand websites before making a purchase.

just so you know many nano reefers and others have my "homemade refugiums" on there tank as i have built and sold well over 1000 of them as well as pico nano aquariums sumps etc... you might call your stuff homemade. i call it hand made ;)

and i wasn't talking about a huge ass 30 gallon fuge more like the size of an ac110

I have no issues with hand made. I was just trying to see how far one can take the filter issue. AC 110 size kewl by me.

Archived