Coral Vue Hydros

New Unoffical 10 Gallon contest coming up

Damsels R Cool

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damsels R Cool
Wait so whats happening with the budget?

I mean a DIY led set up is gonna cost a lot.

I think we should go to $350 but the extra $50 should only be for livestock just messing with you about the LEDs

..... or am i

Ok heres the rules (these will be edited don't worry ):

-Total tank volume should be basically 10g. As in no sumps, but a HOB filter is allowed, also converting the tank into an all-in-one is allowed.

-Refugiums are allowed, but should be no bigger than an AquaClear 110.

-HOB filters are allowed but the largest size is an AquaClear 110.

-Budget of 350$

-The cost of the equipment is taken from the budget, so spend wisely.

-All live stock can come from anywhere, sponsors, LFS, whatever. If you use something from a current tank, you deduct 75% of its fair market value. If you purchase livestock online, you deduct the actual price paid for the livestock from the budget, but don't count shipping costs.

-You can mod all you want as long as you keep your total volume at 10 gallons.

-Not deducted from the budget: Water, Salt, Testing Equipment, Chemicals (dosing).

-Budget is done on the honor system since we all know what its all worth.

In short, you've got 6 months to make a sweet tank on a limited budget.

-Begins November 15th

Zoa-

Regular zoa- 1$ per polyp

Regular palys - 1.50$ per polyp

"Fancy Zoa/Palys" - I don't know how common these will be but I am just going to say 5$ per polyp.

LPS-

Frogspawn- 7$ per head

Hammer- 7$ per head

Duncans - 5$ per head

Open Brains - 15$?

Acans- 7$ per head

Favia- 7$ per 1 inch square

Chalice- 7$ per one inch square

Trumpet- 3$ per head

Candy cane- 5$ per head

Leathers/softies-

Mushrooms - 2$ per polyp

Ricordea 5$ per polyp

Yumas- 10$ per polyp

GSP- 5$ per one inch square

Kenya trees- 2$ per frag

Xenia- 2$ per frag

Other leathers- General but 5$ per frag

SPS- If anyone goes into this

Monti Caps- 5$ per 4 inches

Encrusing Montis- 15$ per inch

Birdnest- 10$ per 2 inches

Pocillopora- 10$ per 2 inches

Montipora Digitata- 5$ per one inch

Other inverts-

Feather dusters (not hitchhikers)- 5$

Macro Algae-

Cheato- 0$

Other- 3$

Hitchhiker- No price of course...

Rock-

Base- 2$ per pound

Live- 4$ per pound

Let me know and I will add more things.

If the equipment is used how do we deduct? 75% off MSRP from DFS and Marine Depot?

is any equipment under $15 free? ....Tank, heater, mag float, thermometer

edit- only asking about used prices cause I can get some good used stuff and I have a lot of the equipment I need already, I am sure many others do as well...

Damsels R Cool
If the equipment is used how do we deduct? 75% off MSRP from DFS and Marine Depot?

is any equipment under $15 free? ....Tank, heater, mag float, thermometer

edit- only asking about used prices cause I can get some good used stuff and I have a lot of the equipment I need already, I am sure many others do as well...

maria so do you have a coupple small power heads that i could borrow for a coupple bucks

omfg ppl :P

1: are sumps allowed? as long as total water volume is around ten gallons?

2: is the tank deducted from cost?

3: can we build our own tank and just deduct material cost?

4: are my questions annoying you?

5: is maria still in? :lol::P

1. Nope, but you can make yourself a refugium/filter :)

2. Umm not sure.

3. What else would you deduct lol?

4. Depends, is there a custom tank in it for me :P?

5. Lol

maria so do you have a coupple small power heads that i could borrow for a coupple bucks

All I have is a K1...that I would use the other MJ I have I use for water changes :(

1: are sumps allowed? as long as total water volume is around ten gallons? Yes

2: is the tank deducted from cost? I dunno

3: can we build our own tank and just deduct material cost? Yes...I think

4: are my questions annoying you? Yes...my questions are annoying me

5: is maria still in? :lol::P .....ummm depends on the rules lol

We really need to get these rules done with so that peeps can start planning their $$

Chum on now!! just look at Weeties Rules http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0 and add on a Generic coral list with a $350 budget, lights are deducted from budget...Aye Vey :mellow:

All I have is a K1...that I would use the other MJ I have I use for water changes :(

We really need to get these rules done with so that peeps can start planning their $$

Chum on now!! just look at Weeties Rules http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0 and add on a Generic coral list with a $350 budget, lights are deducted from budget...Aye Vey :mellow:

those rules look pretty solid to me...

I answered his questions lol.

I just don't know about the tank thing, and the the mag float, heater, and hydrometer thing. Oh and thermometer.

I'd like to join in! I just happen to come back to this site yesterday since I had to tear down and destroy all my rock and coral 2 years ago :'(

I tried to setup a 10g for my cichlid fry last few weeks, but the stupid buggers won't cooperate so they're SoL in their 55g. I'm going with a standard 10g with a 2gal in-tank "sump". I was about to start this anyways and on a super small budget, so I might as well wait a week or two more and join in on the fun. :)

Yay! more contestants!!

Weeties rules are solid as oak!! we couldn't find any flaws other than the if something dies or is taken out of the tank it was added back to the budget and not deducted.

Well look at all you kiddies go. :D Aren't you glad I got you involved in such a great contest Jacob? Glad to see the rules are getting some what figured out. I see you all voted and decided to let Maria in? :P

Well look at all you kiddies go. :D Aren't you glad I got you involved in such a great contest Jacob? Glad to see the rules are getting some what figured out. I see you all voted and decided to let Maria in? :P

nah she forced her way in! psssstt she carries a gun! dont tell anyone.

Yup, and get a shot at the prizes!

what all do we have 4 prizes so far?

Damsels R Cool

1: are sumps allowed? as long as total water volume is around ten gallons?

NO

2: is the tank deducted from cost?

I'm going to say no on this but if you have a custom built deduct $10and add the rest

3: can we build our own tank and just deduct material cost?

Again yes add up everything and deduct $10 fromthe build cost

4: are my questions annoying you?

not really the more questions save me the headache later

5: is maria still in? :lol::P

I think we should have a vote... lol J/K maria

i also think we should leave the 250 or 300 budget only thing on it is light and livestock????? seriusly if you were to build ur own tank or have one made you wouldn't have muck left for livestock! just my 2 cent but i am not on the list :tears:

I'm in, but in favor of higher budget, or tank not counting.... Think scooter's gonna build me one, as I don't want a generic 10g that I have to live with when the contest is over... His build will scr## my budget :-(

A bunch of stuff from you scooter lol. Ya mini nems some gift cards, ehh the were posted back a few pages. I will update my list with them some time soon. Gotta write an essay, it will take me like 30 min.

Damsels R Cool
Yay! more contestants!!

Weeties rules are solid as oak!! we couldn't find any flaws other than the if something dies or is taken out of the tank it was added back to the budget and not deducted.

if something dies we should deduct it good idea maria

ADDED TO THE RULES

Archived