ReefCleaners.org

New Unoffical 10 Gallon contest coming up

Damsels R Cool

I still think the 75% market value rules need to go, otherwise everyone will claim their stuff is used or from one of their main systems.

AC110 right now on Drf&s is ~$80.

IMO, we could remove hardware and equipment costs and lower the budget to $150 or $200 livestock only. Like it was stated, someone could put in a mp10 at $175 or we could use a couple k1's for $60 and either choice wouldn't really effect the outcome.

Starting a new tank is a substantial longterm investment. If we're going to throw several hundred dollar into it, I'd prefer the monetary freedom to make it a viable stable system with t5's or MH, ac110, etc. By the time you add powerheads and a heater, you've blown $200.

To enable full freedom of coral choices, we need to consider options that give SPS and non-photosynthetic tanks a chance. Otherwise, we're going to have a ton of zoanthid, mushroom, and leather tanks.

The "winning" tanks will be the most asthetically pleasing combination of corals, aquascape, and execution. If you look back at all the N-R TOTM's, there is a full array of lighting and equipment representation. People can win with PC as easily as MH, no fuge as easily as with fuge. I say let's budget coral and livestock only.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still think the 75% market value rules need to go, otherwise everyone will claim their stuff is used or from one of their main systems.

AC110 right now on Drf&s is ~$80.

IMO, we could remove hardware and equipment costs and lower the budget to $150 or $200 livestock only. Like it was stated, someone could put in a mp10 at $175 or we could use a couple k1's for $60 and either choice wouldn't really effect the outcome.

Starting a new tank is a substantial longterm investment. If we're going to throw several hundred dollar into it, I'd prefer the monetary freedom to make it a viable stable system with t5's or MH, ac110, etc. By the time you add powerheads and a heater, you've blown $200.

To enable full freedom of coral choices, we need to consider options that give SPS and non-photosynthetic tanks a chance. Otherwise, we're going to have a ton of zoanthid, mushroom, and leather tanks.

The "winning" tanks will be the most asthetically pleasing combination of corals, aquascape, and execution. If you look back at all the N-R TOTM's, there is a full array of lighting and equipment representation. People can win with PC as easily as MH, no fuge as easily as with fuge. I say let's budget coral and livestock only.

+1

I think the budget for equipment is part of what would make this an even contest. Some people have spent over $1000 on equipment the other contests. Sure I think a custom 10gallon cube with a 150W MH pendant and an mp10 would look slick but just starting off with something like that would put someone well ahead of the person who is just doing this for fun because they have a random 10g aga full of equipment sitting in their basement. ( :blush: )

And its nice to see the nifty things people come up with to solve common issues that arise with budget tanks. And that is great inspiration for the newbs who wander in who have always wanted a reef tank but never thought they could afford it. (Me two years ago before I sold my soul to the salt water gods)

Also for equipment cost - I say standardize it to say 75% of MSRP no matter if it is new or a used item they had hanging around. Then there is no arguing about who got a better deal. I would say full MSRP but no one sells anything for that anymore.

Okay, enough incoherent rambling from me. Time for more coffee zombie08.gif

(Jacob - Can you add mini nems to the coral list, please? I think they are $10 each on the other thread. Thanks!)

Damsels R Cool
Ok heres the rules (these will be edited don't worry ;)):

-Total tank volume should be basically 10g. As in no sumps, but a HOB filter is allowed, also converting the tank into an all-in-one is allowed.

-Refugiums are allowed, but costs will count as part of the budget.

-Budget of 300$?

-All used equipment utilized in contest will be deducted from your budget at 75% of the lowest advertised price from the cheapest place you find it (a link must be provided).

the 75% rule applys to live stock only

For equipment purchased online, only deduct the actual price of the equipment from the budget, don't deduct shipping costs.

-All live stock can come from anywhere, sponsors, LFS, whatever. If you use something from a current tank, you deduct 75% of its fair market value.

If you purchase livestock online, you deduct the actual price paid for the livestock from the budget, but don't count shipping costs.

-You can mod all you want as long as you keep your total volume at 10 gallons and deduct costs from your budget.

-Budget is done on the honor system since we all know what its all worth.

In short, you've got 6 months to make a sweet tank on a limited budget. Lighting fixtures, tank, filters, skimmers, rock and livestock all count towards budget, so manage wisely.

-Begins November 15th

Damsels R Cool

People in so far

Damsels R Cool

Clown fish 39

Dizzle21

Rick Shaw

Duckiesforever

TNT276

Jager

claygirl13

Prizes awarded for:

- Best 10g Prize

1st prize ($50 gift card to Reef Gardens)

2nd 3 mini nems from claygirl13

3rd prize mystery frag from Lawnman

-Best Aquascape

1st

2nd prize mystery frag from lajz9

3rd chemi pure (6.5oz) floss + 3 units of inTank special floss from INTANK

prizes look good

anyone elese have a category we could we have way more prizes that need some where to go

I think the budget for equipment is part of what would make this an even contest. Some people have spent over $1000 on equipment the other contests. Sure I think a custom 10gallon cube with a 150W MH pendant and an mp10 would look slick but just starting off with something like that would put someone well ahead of the person who is just doing this for fun because they have a random 10g aga full of equipment sitting in their basement. ( :blush: )

And its nice to see the nifty things people come up with to solve common issues that arise with budget tanks. And that is great inspiration for the newbs who wander in who have always wanted a reef tank but never thought they could afford it. (Me two years ago before I sold my soul to the salt water gods)

I respectfully disagree about the cube/MH/mp10 comment. There are hundreds of examples out there showing that the best equipment doesn't guarantee the best tank. I'm not saying I would use these expensive items, but I want to play the devil's advocate to keep things fair.

Some sort of filtration is necessary for a long term stable nano. An ac70 would be nice, but I would personally choose a ac110 @ $80. A pc light would also work, but I already have two softy tanks and I'd like to dabble with more SPS, so let's say $100-$150 for a MH or 4x24w t5ho. Two koralia's and a heater for another $60 brings the equipment up to $240+ without any live rock, fish, or coral.

Since I haven't even chosen coral and livestock yet, how does spending more on equipment put me in a better position to win?

Is it a fair contest that makes it more difficult for people to keep certain corals on the same budget? If everyone is voting on the winner based on aquascape, coral choice and placement why does $240 in equipment matter. You could just have a contest on 10g built with least money spent if equipment cost is such a focus.

Ok heres the rules (these will be edited don't worry ):

-Total tank volume should be basically 10g. As in no sumps, but a HOB filter is allowed, also converting the tank into an all-in-one is allowed.

-Refugiums are allowed, but should be no bigger than an AquaClear 110.

-HOB filters are allowed but the largest size is an AquaClear 110.

-Budget of 200$?

-All live stock can come from anywhere, sponsors, LFS, whatever. If you use something from a current tank, you deduct 75% of its fair market value.

If you purchase livestock online, you deduct the actual price paid for the livestock from the budget, but don't count shipping costs.

-You can mod all you want as long as you keep your total volume at 10 gallons.

In short, you've got 6 months to make a sweet tank on a limited budget.

-Begins November 15th

Zoa-

Regular zoa- 1$ per polyp

Regular palys - 1.50$ per polyp

"Fancy Zoa/Palys" - I don't know how common these will be but I am just going to say 5$ per polyp.

LPS-

Frogspawn- 7$ per head

Hammer- 7$ per head

Duncans - 5$ per head

Open Brains - 15$?

Acans- 7$ per head

Favia- 7$ per 1 inch square

Chalice 10$ per one inch square

Leathers/softies-

Mushrooms - 2$ per polyp

Ricordea 5$ per polyp

Yumas- 10$ per polyp

GSP- 5$ per one inch square

Kenya trees- 2$ per frag

Xenia- 2$ per frag

Other leathers- General but 5$ per frag

SPS- If anyone goes into this

Montis- 5$ per frag

Other inverts-

Feather dusters (not hitchhikers)- 5$

Live Rock-

What are we doing for this???

Macro Algae-

Cheato- 0$

Other- 3$

Hitchhiker- No price of course...

Let me know and I will add more things.

The intent of the contest is for new tanks that are not created before Nov. 15th. That way at the 6 month judging point, all tanks are equally mature.

i would like to donate one of my mini AIO pico's as a prize :) it would be a 2.7 gallon with the return pump included. i would like to see a best DIY category ;) i can donate a small HOB fuge as a second place

and a lil cube for third place

first prize

100_2191.jpg

second prize(just the fuge 12x10x4.5)

100_1595.jpg

third prize (just the tank 7x7x7)

100_1512.jpg

lmk if u guys want to add these.

Macro tanks only category...I'd be in, I have been wanting to do a Caribbean biotope of some sorts where I collect the schtuff myself :unsure:

maria ur not allowed :P :P :P :P

well on the pico contest there is a "prize" the guy that built all of the tanks but 2 offered it up. now he is MIA i may do the same on that contest ;)

-Budget of 200$?

-Begins November 15th

Zoa-

"Fancy Zoa/Palys" - I don't know how common these will be but I am just going to say 5$ per polyp.

LPS-

Frogspawn- 7$ per head

Hammer- 7$ per head

Duncans - 5$ per head

Open Brains - 15$?

Acans- 7$ per head

Chalice- 7$ per one inch square

Trumpet- 3$ per head

Candy cane- 5$ per head

Leathers/softies-

Mushrooms - 2$ per polyp

Ricordea 5$ per polyp

Yumas- 10$ per polyp

Kenya trees- 2$ per frag

Xenia- 2$ per frag

Monti Caps- 5$ per 4 inches

Encrusing Montis- 15$ per inch

Birdnest- 10$ per 2 inches

Pocillopora- 10$ per 2 inches

Montipora Digitata- 5$ per one inch

Other inverts-

Live Rock-

What are we doing for this???

Macro Algae-

Cheato- 0$

Other- 3$

Damsels R Cool

-Budget of 200$?

Why is it $200 all of a sudden?

-Begins November 15th

Zoa-

LPS-

Frogspawn- 7$ per head

Hammer- 7$ per head

Duncans - 5$ per head

Open Brains - 15$?

Acans- 7$ per head

Chalice- 7$ per one inch square

Trumpet- 3$ per head

Candy cane- 5$ per head

Leathers/softies-

Mushrooms - 2$ per polyp

Ricordea 5$ per polyp

Yumas- 10$ per polyp

Kenya trees- 2$ per frag

Xenia- 2$ per frag

Monti Caps- 5$ per 4 inches

Encrusing Montis- 15$ per inch

Birdnest- 10$ per 2 inches

Pocillopora- 10$ per 2 inches

Montipora Digitata- 5$ per one inch

Other inverts-

Live Rock-

$4

Base Rock-

$2

Macro Algae-

Cheato- 0$

Other- 3$

Really though any other corals just let me know. I am gonna add dendros and sun coral right now. I am thinking 25$ per head for dendros and 5 for sun coral?

I thought we were lowering it because we took off the hardware thing?

I will add the the live rock thing.

Damsels R Cool
i would like to donate one of my mini AIO pico's as a prize :) it would be a 2.7 gallon with the return pump included. i would like to see a best DIY category ;) i can donate a small HOB fuge as a second place

and a lil cube for third place

first prize

100_2191.jpg

second prize(just the fuge 12x10x4.5)

100_1595.jpg

third prize (just the tank 7x7x7)

100_1512.jpg

lmk if u guys want to add these.

maria ur not allowed :P :P :P :P

Yes There is now a best DIY category since you are doing all 3 places

Macro tanks only category...I'd be in, I have been wanting to do a Caribbean biotope of some sorts where I collect the schtuff myself :unsure:

Maria you could still join just make a marco tank insted it would be great seeing a marco tank insted of the normal reef

Archived