Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Unoffical 10 Gallon contest coming up

Damsels R Cool

If you have the equipment and it is used take off 75%. If you buy new you just deduct the price you paid not the shipping.

www.premiumaquatics.com has some of the best prices I seen on equipment.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clown Fish 39

hey jacobnano, if i were you i would either copy or take most of the ideas of pricing from the 12" inch cube contest because they seem like reasonable prices but thats just my opinion:)

Heres just some ideas, I could be wrong but I am cheap so these might be considered cheap prices who knows.

Everyday mushroom: 5$

Zoa, nothing special: 1$ per polyp

Frogspawn, Hammer, Duncan: 10$ per head

Leathers: 5-10$???

Are people going to be keeping SPS and high end LPS/ Softies?

Looking right now...

Someone wanna link me to where the list is? There are too many pages for me to look through.

I don't think SPS I think more along the lines of basic zoas,mushrooms,rics,xenia,frogspawn. Most of the budget will get eaten up with hardware so there wont be a ton of money left for corals. You got the right idea Jacob.

No big hurry Jacob not starting for 30 days. Nov 15th is the start day. Might want to get that LR curing if you are not purchasing cured LR.

Ok heres a list that I guess will be updated and bumped to the front often.

Zoa-

Regualar zoa- 1$ per polyp

Regualr palys - 1.50$ per polyp

"Fancy Zoa/Palys" - I don't know how common these will be but I am just going to say 5$ per polyp.

LPS-

Frogspawn- 7$ per head

Hammer- 7$ per head

Duncans - 5$ per head

Open Brains - 15$?

Acans- 7$ per head

Favia- 7$ per 1 inch square

Chalice 10$ per one inch square

Leathers/softies-

Mushrooms - 2$ per polyp

Ricordea 5$ per polyp

Yumas- 10$ per polyp

GSP- 5$ per one inch square

Kenya trees- 2$ per frag

Xenia- 2$ per frag

Other leathers- General but 5$ per frag

SPS- If anyone goes into this

Montis- 5$ per frag

Other inverts-

Feather dusters (not hitchhikers)- 5$

Clean up crew-

Nassarius- 1$ each

Nerite- 1$ each

Margarita- 1$ each

Trochus- 1$ each

Turbo (all species)- 2$ each

Hermits (any kind)- 2$ each

Chiton- 2$ each

Cowrie- 2$ each

Anyway let me know what you all think

Before it gets started you could start a new thread with rules and pricing on first post. Xenia 5 dollars. I think you should do a clean up crew package such as nassarius,nerite,margaritas,trochus 1 dollar each hermits 2 dollars turbos 2 dollars etc. It is going to take some serious bargain shopping on the equipment side because the TOTAL budget including hardware is 300 dollars.

Ya I know, the problem is reefing ain't cheap haha.

Anyway let me know so I can keep updating my post. Then I will start a new thread where we only post the rules, pricing info, and tank updates for people. This or some other thread can be for chatter but a thread for just that stuff would be easy to navigate.

Yes I wouldn't start it till a couple days before the contest starts. Then have a mod close this one after the contest starts.

Edit

Look you already got this down and you are only 2 hours in. :D I think this will be a neat little contest.

It would be easier if I was a real mod lol.

So how does the idea sound though? I mean a thread for tanks and info and another thread for comments?

I would do one thread right before it starts. First post have the rules and price list. Then under that have names of everyone in the contest. There name is a link to there own tank thread that they keep current and up to date with prices and pictures. Then the first page is the only page you need. If they want to fill pages after that with chatter not a big deal because everyone know page 1 first post is where to find everything.

Ok, that sounds cool. Ya have each persons name be a link to their tank thread.

Just so this is on here for everyone tomorrow:

Ok heres a list that I guess will be updated and bumped to the front often.

Zoa-

Regualar zoa- 1$ per polyp

Regular palys - 1.50$ per polyp

"Fancy Zoa/Palys" - I don't know how common these will be but I am just going to say 5$ per polyp.

LPS-

Frogspawn- 7$ per head

Hammer- 7$ per head

Duncans - 5$ per head

Open Brains - 15$?

Acans- 7$ per head

Favia- 7$ per 1 inch square

Chalice 10$ per one inch square

Leathers/softies-

Mushrooms - 2$ per polyp

Ricordea 5$ per polyp

Yumas- 10$ per polyp

GSP- 5$ per one inch square

Kenya trees- 2$ per frag

Xenia- 2$ per frag

Other leathers- General but 5$ per frag

SPS- If anyone goes into this

Montis- 5$ per frag

Other inverts-

Feather dusters (not hitchhikers)- 5$

Clean up crew-

Nassarius- 1$ each

Nerite- 1$ each

Margarita- 1$ each

Trochus- 1$ each

Turbo (all species)- 2$ each

Hermits (any kind)- 2$ each

Chiton- 2$ each

Cowrie- 2$ each

Anyway let me know what you all think

Fish and shrimp they will add to the budget and the price they paid if the price is in question they will have to provide a link to where they got it for that price. Or if they already have the fish in another tank they find the best price online and deduct 75% from there budget for already having it. I don't think there will be a ton of price bashing though.

Damsels R Cool
You should have

1st place 2nd and 3rd place and best aqua scape. So you got prizes for 1st,2nd and best aqua scape you need a 3rd place prize and thats it.

should we do best scape at the end of the contest or at the beginning of the contest

if we do it at the beginning of the contest it would make the cycleing process go a little faster and prizes could be stuff like $5-$10 added to your budget unless we get better prizes

I'm 75% in but there needs to be some more clarification in case I missed it.

The standard pricing looks good for corals.

I don't think the "75% of market value" exceptions are not a good idea because then you set a standard that people with stuff lying around will be at an advantage.

I noticed the mention of plumbing supplies, does this mean sumps and refugiums are allowed? If so, what's the max size? Could I do a 10g AGA display with a 30g refugium?

What's the standard deduction for live rock and sand? I know on Cl you can get it for $2/lb but out LFS charges $7/lb.

Just need more rules set in stone before I commit to the contest. FWIW I think it's a really bad idea that people are jumping in on the contest and buying equipment before everything is ironed out. It's going to make for a lot of drama and pissed off people later on (see the 12" cube contest).

Damsels R Cool
I'm 75% in but there needs to be some more clarification in case I missed it.

we are not doing any more all equpiment bought would be cheapest price found online with a link provided

The standard pricing looks good for corals.

I don't think the "75% of market value" exceptions are not a good idea because then you set a standard that people with stuff lying around will be at an advantage.

This only applys to live stock and coral FRAGS no colonys

I noticed the mention of plumbing supplies, does this mean sumps and refugiums are allowed? If so, what's the max size? Could I do a 10g AGA display with a 30g refugium?

I ment if you want a spray bar or something of that nature. THE TOTAL WATER VOLUME OF YOUR TANK HAS TO BE 10 GALLONS

What's the standard deduction for live rock and sand? I know on Cl you can get it for $2/lb but out LFS charges $7/lb.

LR i'm not shure about i was hopeing everyone would use base but if not live rock would $4 a lb and base would be $2 a lb

Just need more rules set in stone before I commit to the contest. FWIW I think it's a really bad idea that people are jumping in on the contest and buying equipment before everything is ironed out. It's going to make for a lot of drama and pissed off people later on (see the 12" cube contest).

I don't think there will be a ton of price bashing though.

Hah!

That's what you think!!!

The last 2 contests on here (including the current 12" cube one) unquestionably prove differently.

I definitely agree that this is asking for trouble.

your the man Jacobnano!

jeez im just about ready:

already had the tank

already had the aquaclear70

nova extreme 24X2 t5 HO: just ordered

already had koralia 1

15 lbs of base rock from reef cleaners: just ordered

also i have a question

say we already have the equipment, do we still take off the original price or 75% of the original price?

So I have two conflicting responses. "Total volume must be 10g" and one contestant using an ac70 which can be converted into a 'fuge with ~1/2g extra.

Does this mean we can use HOB filtration even though it technically pushes volume over 10g? If we can use something such as an ac70, couldn't I use 2 ac50's and one ac110 on 3 sides of the 10g tank?

I know I'm playing devil's advocate, but it's un-clarified rules like this that leave things open to conflict and drama.

Archived