Cultivated Reef

New Unoffical 10 Gallon contest coming up

Damsels R Cool

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thats a good point but the 6g contest doesnt get over for about 6 months, kind of a long time to wait

Gives people more time to save and purchase their hardware...

Personally, I'd like to see a year long contest with a $500 livestock limit and no limit on hardware...

Damsels R Cool
I agree, and I think there are probably people in the 6g contest that would be interested in this once it's over.

ok heres the thing i wanted my new 10 gallon to start before 2010 the latest i would start it is january while i was talking to morgan gorm reef gardnes she said if i do a contest she would donate a $50 gift card. my tank is going to start in january regardless but i thought it would be cool to do a contest

Clown Fish 39

i agree damsel, i dont want to wait till the other contest is over because that wont be till about march 2010

i say we start in november maybe december

im just curious damsel, why january?:)

Damsels R Cool
i agree damsel, i dont want to wait till the other contest is over because that wont be till about march 2010

i say we start in november maybe december

im just curious damsel, why january?:)

i want my tank started beffore my birthday (Jan 18th) so the lateist i would start my tank is the 18th

Clown Fish 39

yaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!:)

well of to the internet for shoping :-P

what lighting would be suffiecent for this tank?

what is everyone going to use?

duckiesforever
I highly suggest you guys find a moderator for the contest and post rules ASAP before everything gets outta control...learn from the 12" contest.

i agree

i think its going way too fast atm

end of november earliest

as for a moderator

i vote the OP of this thread

yaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!:)

well of to the internet for shoping :-P

what lighting would be suffiecent for this tank?

what is everyone going to use?

i bought this light "clownfish" .. 18" T5Ho 40w as i said this is my first reef tank so ill see how it works out

i bought this light "clownfish" .. 18" T5Ho 40w as i said this is my first reef tank so ill see how it works out

I used to be a strong advocate of that light but i have it on my 10 gallon custom tank wich is even more shallow than i normal 10 gallon and my once bright green GSP has turned brown. I believe you would need atleast two of those to grow anything other then softies. I think it would be a decent fixture if other bulb companies made 18" bulbs such as ATI, the par on the current bulbs is just teribad! Not to totally diss the fixture it just has great limitations.

thanks for the advice, do you recommend a different fixture?

Either a 4 light 24" T5 fixture or a 70-150w MH, atleast with either of those two your coral options aren't so limited.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I would be interested in this contest, but I would have to wait sometime, the only probably that I foresee is that $300 on livestock and equipment is low, I feel it will limit hardware way to much, most "Good/Decent" light systems would run at least $150 cutting the budget in half, yeah the Nova extreme is $50 bucks but as stated by MGDMIRAGE it's very limited, you'd have to go DIY to make it worth it IMO.

Here's my 2 cents. I followed the 5g/10g contest tanks as well as the 12" cube contest currently and would have joined in if I hand't spent all my contest money on frags for my 50g.

I'll start with the bottom line for those who don't like to read a lot.

1. "Winning tanks" are going to be chosen by how asthetically pleasing they are. TBH, this can be accomplished with "cheap" corals properly placed and mixed. Looks back at the previous contests and current one. Piles of rocks covered in Zoanthids aren't going to win even if they're all purple hornets. I challenge that a tank with $150 in livestock can beat a tank with $300 in livestock if properly executed.

2. A lot of hardware budgeting can be equally countered by strong maintenance practices. Yes, you can add a nano skimmer to help keep SPS, but you could also keep it to one very small fish and do 2-3 small water changes a week.

3. If you are going to set spending limits, you need a standard cost list for all contestants. Some people will always get better deals than others. It causes too much drama to have someone getting purple hornets for $10pp from a buddy compared to $100pp on ebay.

4. Nanos are awesome and the contest tank will undoubtedly become a main display for some. Allthough it would be easier to say 10g total volume, adding a sump/refugium is a great long term investment in the stability of a nano ecosystem so I think a 10g display with options for a sump/fuge would make people happy.

I highly suggest you guys find a moderator for the contest and post rules ASAP before everything gets outta control...learn from the 12" contest.

I think you should be the mod. I vote for you. :D

I think you should be the mod. I vote for you. :D

HA! Problem is I would force everyone to play by the rules and rip them apart when they didn't!

I do have plenty of time and some good ideas for keeping things organized. Definitely more than happy to provide any input if asked.

4. Nanos are awesome and the contest tank will undoubtedly become a main display for some. Allthough it would be easier to say 10g total volume, adding a sump/refugium is a great long term investment in the stability of a nano ecosystem so I think a 10g display with options for a sump/fuge would make people happy.

I think a 10g display with up to 10g sump would make for an awesome contest and honestly wouldn't add much more onto the cost since you can pick up a tank and plumbing supplies for next to nothing. I agree that a lot of people would continue to use this as their main display after the contest is over.

The $300 limit including hardware is going to become an issue regardless of the price of the light. Yes, people can win going super cheap and spending a significant amount of time on maintenance, but there are others who just can't afford to spend that amount time and would need the assistance of something like a controller or powered ATO.

Clown Fish 39

i was wondering if anyone has experience with fishneedit fixtures?

i was thinking about getting the 2 foot 4 bulb fixture.

any suggestions?

Archived