Pod Your Reef

New Unoffical 10 Gallon contest coming up

Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool

Prizes awarded for:

- Best 10g Prize

1st prize ($50 gift card to Reef Gardens)

2nd prize (TBA hopefully something from one of the sponsors)

3rd prize mystery frag from Lawnman

-Best Aquascape

1st

2nd prize mystery frag from lajz9

3rd chemi pure (6.5oz) floss + 3 units of inTank special floss from INTANK

prizes look good

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are still a few things to iron out. I think there should be no sumps and a limit of 1 hang on they back filter. Everyone should have to have a 10 gallon display. I think everyone should get to choose what hob flter they want to use limit 1. So there can be no complaining that his filter is bigger than mine. The LR and the 75 percent rule is going to be hard. Here is a idea now just a idea raise the limit to 350 and drop the 75 percent rule. So if you already have a piece of equipment find the cheapest online vendor and use that price and same goes for fish etc. The extra 50 will help everyone out and keep it fair. As far as LR I have no ideas. Suggestions? No arguing or bickering it will get figured out. I think everyone should try to have the rules set in stone by this Sunday night. Just my 2 centd

Damsels R Cool
I think there are still a few things to iron out. I think there should be no sumps and a limit of 1 hang on the back filter.

hang on the back idea is good I my self am going to ues a hang on back filter/fuge

Everyone should have to have a 10 gallon display.

correct custom or not it has to hold 10 gallons

I think everyone should get to choose what hob flter they want to use limit 1. So there can be no complaining that his filter is bigger than mine.

fine with me but i still think there are some HUGE ones out there that some one would take advantage of

The LR and the 75 percent rule is going to be hard.

thats why i sugested tthat everyone use base if not LR is $4 a lb base is $2 and i think everyone is ok on the 75% livestock rule

Here is a idea now just a idea raise the limit to 350 and drop the 75 percent rule.

Again 75% is for livestock only and it only counts to animals(fish, crabs,ect...) and coral frags(1 head or 20 polyp or less of zoas)

By doing 1 hob filter there cant be any bickering because you had the option to buy what you want. I think best aquascape should be at the halfway point in case people want to move it around. At the end I think it would be to much voting going on. Maybe your mod Jacob will have some input for the LR and voting.

Ok gotcha now I missed the part of the 75 is only for livestock sorry about that. The LR is a good idea you have just set standard per pound price if they pay more they only have to apply x to there budget. The hob should not be a problem. If someone wants to eat up a ton of there budget for a bigger filter let them.

Damsels R Cool

People in so far

Damsels R Cool

Clown fish 39

Dizzle21

Rick Shaw

Duckiesforever

TNT276

Jager

Anyone elese

More dates

Final Entry By november 1st (your name must be on the list by nov 1st)

on the list so far

Damsels R Cool

Clown fish 39

Dizzle21

Rick Shaw

Duckiesforever

TNT276

Jager

Still think you want to drop the 75% coral idea, if that's in someones invariably going to say every single coral they got was from their own tank and for 75%. The price list is more than fair already if high end zoa's are 5$a polyp, a Darth Maul goes for $25-$40 online so you're already getting to price them at 5$. That's the only part I disagree w/ in our 12" cube contest, the "budget" is $250 but if people are getting charged $5 fora purple hornet they're really getting a much larger budget than those of use who can't afford a $100/polyp coral with real world pricing.

Note: we didn't charge for live rock & I don't think clean up crew should count, no one goes wow that guy has 4 nassarius snails in his aquascape picture I'm voting for him over the guy w/ 3. They're essential to the tank like salt but really have no bearing on the voting situation. Shoot I'm sure people would move them off the glass for better pictures for the final tank shot.

Still think you want to drop the 75% coral idea, if that's in someones invariably going to say every single coral they got was from their own tank and for 75%. The price list is more than fair already if high end zoa's are 5$a polyp, a Darth Maul goes for $25-$40 online so you're already getting to price them at 5$. That's the only part I disagree w/ in our 12" cube contest, the "budget" is $250 but if people are getting charged $5 fora purple hornet they're really getting a much larger budget than those of use who can't afford a $100/polyp coral with real world pricing.

Note: we didn't charge for live rock & I don't think clean up crew should count, no one goes wow that guy has 4 nassarius snails in his aquascape picture I'm voting for him over the guy w/ 3. They're essential to the tank like salt but really have no bearing on the voting situation. Shoot I'm sure people would move them off the glass for better pictures for the final tank shot.

+1

Thats some good ideas. No charge for cuc or LR drop the 75 percent and the budget is 300 and use a generic price list that jacob came up with. I like that but this is not my contest.

Damsels R Cool
I think if you drop the LR and CUC you should lower the budget.

CUC is out of the budget (CUC includes HERMIT crabs And SNAILS) A cleaner shrimp is NOT excluded from the budget

LR would still count for the budget at $4 a pound base would count as $2 a pound

Just ordered my tank. Will get it on Nov 7th. That only leaves me a week to to set it up how I want it. Here is a pick. Made by glasscages. 30 x 12.5 x 6 (9.7 gals close enough right?). $28! I was looking at getting a 20L and cutting it in half, but this is cheaper and less time consuming.

post-37534-1255730893_thumb.jpg

I have a surprise in store for the layout too.

Wanted to get it rimless but $72 is a little too much of the budget.

Just ordered my tank. Will get it on Nov 7th. That only leaves me a week to to set it up how I want it. Here is a pick. Made by glasscages. 30 x 12.5 x 6 (9.7 gals close enough right?). $28! I was looking at getting a 20L and cutting it in half, but this is cheaper and less time consuming.

What kind of light you gonna use for that monster? Looks like a frag tank.

Why not just drop the base price and set LR at 3 dollars a pound? So everyone can't say there rock is base rock. Just looking for ways to save you all problems down the road.

Damsels R Cool

wow that looks nice

Zoa-

Regular zoa- 1$ per polyp

Regular palys - 1.50$ per polyp

"Fancy Zoa/Palys" - I don't know how common these will be but I am just going to say 5$ per polyp.

LPS-

Frogspawn- 7$ per head

Hammer- 7$ per head

Duncans - 5$ per head

Open Brains - 15$?

Acans- 7$ per head

Favia- 7$ per 1 inch square

Chalice 10$ per one inch square

Leathers/softies-

Mushrooms - 2$ per polyp

Ricordea 5$ per polyp

Yumas- 10$ per polyp

GSP- 5$ per one inch square

Kenya trees- 2$ per frag

Xenia- 2$ per frag

Other leathers- General but 5$ per frag

SPS- If anyone goes into this

Montis- 5$ per frag

Other inverts-

Feather dusters (not hitchhikers)- 5$

Live Rock-

Regardless- 3$ per pound

Macro Algae-

Cheato- 0$

Other- 3$

Hitchhiker- No price of course...

Hmmm... Can I enter and provide a prize? I've been wanting to enter one of these for a while but was also thinking of donating 4 mini-nems for one of the prizes.

What do you guys think?

What kind of light you gonna use for that monster? Looks like a frag tank.

Not sure on the light, I have two different setups in mind. My favorite involves 2 different lights, not counting the fuge light. I think it is meant to be a frag tank. I wanted a little more length than an aga 10gal. The stand is either going to have to be high or it will need to be a top view type, which limits lights options somewhat. I'm guessing stand price is not going into the $300.

Also, what about macroalgae (nice looking stuff not chaeto), that included in the total price? If so, what is a good number, $3 a piece? Although all of the price stuff doesn't matter to me. I'm doing this for fun not the prizes.

Damsels R Cool
Hmmm... Can I enter and provide a prize? I've been wanting to enter one of these for a while but was also thinking of donating 4 mini-nems for one of the prizes.

What do you guys think?

You want to enter the contest and donate 4 mini nems correct

Not sure on the light, I have two different setups in mind. My favorite involves 2 different lights, not counting the fuge light. I think it is meant to be a frag tank. I wanted a little more length than an aga 10gal. The stand is either going to have to be high or it will need to be a top view type, which limits lights options somewhat. I'm guessing stand price is not going into the $300.

Also, what about macroalgae (nice looking stuff not chaeto), that included in the total price? If so, what is a good number, $3 a piece? Although all of the price stuff doesn't matter to me. I'm doing this for fun not the prizes.

if it's going into your display yes it would be priced if you think $3 is fair $3 it is

Nice job Jacob it looks good. Damsels did you update the hardware section to 1 hang on back filter? So the price for LR is 3 dollars a pound across the board?

Archived