inTank Media Baskets

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

IMG_0357.jpg

So, you know me well enough by now to know that I love night time shots. Here are some more. It is hysterical to see the clowns host the polyps. An anemone will move and not really allow the clowns to hang motionless as the anemone itself is constantly moving, but the polyps are a bit different. The clowns have to wiggle hard to get in between the polyps and then they just lay there. It is really funny.

IMG_0364.jpg

Clowns hanging around in the polyps.

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

These polyps started as bundles of about 10 or so...

IMG_9866.jpg

You also know me well enough to know i love the over-the-water shots!

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9900.jpg

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheBlueLorax

Looking at this tank makes me sigh and smile, it makes me feel happy .... it really does! I wish I was like three inches tall and could go diving in that tank omgomgomg ! Congrats on your magazine cover dude U a G in my book gotta give it up :bowdown: Sweet pics, I haven't seen peeps keep snake polpys too often!

I know! I love them...they are in a lower light, slower flow area and are doing GREAT!

Nighttime is great when they all open up....

Once again, this tank is absolutely amazing. A few quick questions: is there a risk that the lionfish will make a meal of any of your other fish (fuzzy dwarf lion)? Also, what are the polyps that the clowns are hosting in?

Once again, this tank is absolutely amazing. A few quick questions: is there a risk that the lionfish will make a meal of any of your other fish (fuzzy dwarf lion)? Also, what are the polyps that the clowns are hosting in?

Not much of a threat of the Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish...as the only thing he may get close to is the green chromis...and I am not sure that is a risk itself.

Those are Snake Polyps and they are a little bit odd...they are closed during the day and extend at night. A little backwards. They are still photosynthetic though.

Here are some shots!

Made a little feather duster farm! I added a couple to what was already a couple in that vicinity anyway, and liked how it was starting to shape up...so I took it a step further. Thought it would look cool and I think it does! I hope you think so too!

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

clownfish14

just a quick question if you keep costal crabs in the tank would you not you have to have to make the water the same temp as off the coast?

just a quick question if you keep costal crabs in the tank would you not you have to have to make the water the same temp as off the coast?

They are technically cold(er) water crabs, but like most animals that spend their lives in the tidal zones...they are quite tolerant of drastic temperature changes, so they make it just fine. They are not like the algae and other non-tidal organisms. Those would not fair well. That is why I do not keep anything other than the crabs and a couple anemones.

Good observation!

Where'd you get such a cool rock?

Just a combination of a couple of rocks!

They are some rock anemones found natively from the California shores. The are commonly called aggregating anemones, Anthopleura elegantissima. They are cool...but very demanding. The feed almost consistently, and are a bit hard to keep. They are used to extreme sunlight because of the tide pool nature and proximity to the surface, but constantly travel...and not always to the brightest spots. In fact, two right now have made homes in shaded areas and I am a bit worried. I can't help them other than aggrivate them enough to move. I have lost two already, but three have been doing well for 6 months.

We'll see. The good news in my tank is that anything that passes is quickly scavenged by my army of crabs!

Last photographic updates tonight, I promise!

IMG_0788.jpg

I like these shots!

IMG_0760.jpg

I tend to ignore the left side when photographing, so here is it's fully due shot!

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Thanks for looking!

polarblair2000

I really want your tank :):bowdown:

I showed my girlfriend your tank and it really helped me sway her round to become more accepting of my new venture. She Loves your tank so much and has told me when we get our own place if you want to get a bigger tank it should look like yours :)

Thats fine by me :lol:

Why has the tank not been TOTM yet !? You have my vote for April :D

I really want your tank :):bowdown:

I showed my girlfriend your tank and it really helped me sway her round to become more accepting of my new venture. She Loves your tank so much and has told me when we get our own place if you want to get a bigger tank it should look like yours :)

Thats fine by me :lol:

Why has the tank not been TOTM yet !? You have my vote for April :D

That's awesome! I hope it works out for you!

How does a tank become Tank Of The Month? Am I supposed to submit it? It would be an honor to see the Volcano Tank on the front page!

Congrats on the mag cover! You def got my vote for tank of the YEAR!!!!

If this tank was in my house... I would never leave home.

absolutely breathtaking.

I need a linkey to the reefbuilders write up :)

That's awesome! I hope it works out for you!

How does a tank become Tank Of The Month? Am I supposed to submit it? It would be an honor to see the Volcano Tank on the front page!

I'm not sure but I am surprised it has not become already TOTM.

Sorry to ask this cause I know you have probably already answered it over and over, I have not read the whole thread,

what is the flow in the tank? Just the returns?

I'm not sure but I am surprised it has not become already TOTM.

Sorry to ask this cause I know you have probably already answered it over and over, I have not read the whole thread,

what is the flow in the tank? Just the returns?

I don't blame you...23 pages is a ton to read!

The return is split three ways; one to the left, one to the right and then the waterfalls (which is also split 3 ways). However, there is a closed loop (intake on the back left and return on the back right) that has a 1/3 HP chiller in-line.

That's it for flow.

Archived