ReefCleaners.org

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it says "Tanks under 40 are preferred" though I personally always thought that nano's were less than 100g (which is why I posted here in the first place), though I have of course found out that is not the case. So preferred isn't the same as disqualifying the Volcano Tank, is it? Oh well, regardless, it is a blast posting on this site and chatting with other reefers. (the people on this site as a whole are far better than any other reef site out there in my opinion...I like calling NR home)

But hey, compared to the ocean, anything is a nano right? Eh? Eh?

Oh, hey, don't get me wrong, you'd get my vote. I was just making sure it was a possibility.

Some then and now shots. Kinda cool to see.

October 2009

Volcano10.jpg

March 2010

IMG_0890.jpg

October 2009

Volcano06.jpg

March 2010

IMG_0151.jpg

October 2009

Volcano05.jpg

March 2010

IMG_0882.jpg

October 2009

Volcano08.jpg

March 2010

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

(the right halide is moved out of the way for the picture......)

Hadn't taken this shot in a while....and it is interesting to see that mangroves are bending towards the lights. I had two that were "under" the lights before (far enough away to not be affect by the heat) and those guys got burned. These guys are very close to actually touching the lights from the side and are fine! Interesting.....

Even as simple as they are, I think the mangroves add so much to this tank.

GREAT video! :o

I agree....it really helps extend the tank upwards....

I just have to say this again. This tank is seriously a piece of art, truly unique and just stunning!!! :D I love all the pics and vids! Keep up the amazing work. Definitely TOTM worthy! :wub::D

NirvanaandTool
I took this picture for you! Thought you would love it!

IMG_0874.jpg

That is a freaky picture! Looks like that big mean crab is coming out of the darkness to sneak up on the poor little hermit!

That is a freaky picture! Looks like that big mean crab is coming out of the darkness to sneak up on the poor little hermit!

Haha I just noticed that! That does look kind of menacing. Those crabs are getting huge better keep the squid coming!

i saw this on another site and joined specifically to tell u that this tank rox! i am amazed at the forethought put into this . :o it is absolute amazing! u seem to be able to keep fish that most of us cant mix together but u can keep them and it seems to be working.

i thought this when u joined on the other site that u see a new guy post something and u think well, he got lucky or he did his research, but u dont really see someone come in and completely change the way u keep a tank. the way ur volcano top lifts off is awesome! u obviously put a ton of time into this! u also must spend like 2 hours a day on it for it to look that good!

u should be proud dood, this is unbelieveable. i can't saw enough how cool this is.

its funny, i can tell how much u like this thread more than the other site. ;) ill stick around here and see whats up.

i saw this on another site and joined specifically to tell u that this tank rox! i am amazed at the forethought put into this . :o it is absolute amazing! u seem to be able to keep fish that most of us cant mix together but u can keep them and it seems to be working.

i thought this when u joined on the other site that u see a new guy post something and u think well, he got lucky or he did his research, but u dont really see someone come in and completely change the way u keep a tank. the way ur volcano top lifts off is awesome! u obviously put a ton of time into this! u also must spend like 2 hours a day on it for it to look that good!

u should be proud dood, this is unbelieveable. i can't saw enough how cool this is.

its funny, i can tell how much u like this thread more than the other site. ;) ill stick around here and see whats up.

Thanks, man. That does mean a lot.

And yes, I do like NR the best....not a lot of negativity here! That is always a good thing!

No, don't spend more than about 20 minutes a day on the tank, except for "play" days when I get something new or what not. I handle the crabs at least once a month or so....so that is fun too. I hand feed the fish now as well, so that has started to take longer too.....

This is one of the few tanks where I get more interested in it the longer I have it. I set up a lot of tanks, and that is the part I love, but I didn't have a "home owned" tank for 3 or 4 years and already I am spec'ing out my 5' x 5' x 16" tank that I am gonna do next!

Anyways, thanks for the kind words!

Tried to take some different shots. Paid a little love to the left side and did some top down shots which are kinda neat.

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

I was telling everyone that the crabs eat the hermits and snails, so I decided to not remove any shells for a month to see what happens......

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Penthouse view...

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

New Tank! omgomgomg

What are the plans for it?

Still in mind-phase! Roughly, just a bigger one. 5' x 5' x 16" with the same Volcano-style rock work...but maybe not a Volcano....you know, something else. I have not decided if I will replace the Volcano Tank or leave it running. If I migrate it to the larger tank, I will most likely put the volcano in the new tank as is. But, most of my mind-phase thoughts are revolving around an organized tunnel system below with some kind of viewing area portion under the tank. I figure with a custom built stand, remote sump and pumps (along with my already remote closed loop and chiller), I could make a portion of the tank "viewable" from underneath. I can silicone in the "tunnel" work, toss a magnet cleaner down there and incorporate some water flow off of a T from the closed loop via a small 1/4" return. I could light it some how with red LED or something.....not sure.

I also want to do a custom stand with stone work as the front face and tie in the whole Volcano-look (or what ever rock work I choose to do). I also want to make it in the center of the room, have a small stone ledge for drinks and feet and center chairs around it. Almost like a "fire-pit" type of look.

But again, this is only in the mind-phase. I need a couple more clients before I can start funding it!

Archived