Top Shelf Aquatics

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

NaClCrocodile

You really should do a statue in there. I can see a sunset monti covering it now. I'd lay it flat though, that way it doesn't look weird from the side. When looking at it top down, it'll look awesome.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people of inquired as to how the Volcano structure was formed, and it is created from 5 piece of large lace rock. I needed to service the overflow, so I thought I would take a couple of pictures with the top off. Here you go....

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

So, you can see the valve for the waterfalls, and the drain pipe. I had to cut egg crate to keep the crabs from venturing down. I also have a huge drain strainer on the intake as well incase they get through the egg crate (only happened once with a small guy, so I put the strainer in after that). There is a dead waterfall tube, which is the turquoise one in the middle, along with the blue one (I am not sure why I have not cut that....I just noticed it looking at the picture).

The main line is T’d on the left and feeds the upper waterfall that empties above the anemone, and the other end of the T is T’d again, to reduce water travel to another that empties on the anemone side, but above the zoanthid rock. Lastly, the one that is wrapped around and was pouring on the valve is the one that supplies the top of the volcano and then feeds the “basin” rock that now has the starting of a couple of zoanthids.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Of course, the elbow T right here in front is from the sump pump returning to the tank.

Hope some of this makes sense.....though it does look Mickey Mouse’d, it actually took a lot of thought. For instance, T’ing the waterfall line in a different order results in different water pressures....and I wanted the right waterfall to equal that of the left. The second waterfall on the right (that is behind the big one) is more to just keep the rock moist..which is perfect. That is where all the copepods and amphipods hang out. Ideal!

IMG_0754.jpg

Got a video up! Take a look!

I simply set up the camera for 2 and half minutes. I fed too to get some activity. I will try again in the next few days to get a video with the crabs coming out of the water for everyone to see...

New Videos!

animalmaster6

That volcano is the coolest idea ever

Omg, you are a really artist man I wish some day I get as good as you

well i dont know if anyone cares, but this is my blog where im going to post my new nano

http://bloginthebox.com

I'll definetly check it out later on! :)

I don't think I can agree enough with everyone else who has posted praise on this setup. Congradulations on the tank, if that term even applies.

how are we going to get this submitted as a tank of the month?

I'd love too! What an honor it would be! There is a thread for nominations, but I am not sure if that is the right way!

Oh well, I shall keep my head down and make this tank even better!

Quick question....

Sometimes LR can kinda smell funky if it's in/out of water... Can you say whether or not this tank might give off a stronger smell than a traditional tank?

Oh, and I like your idea of buying a mature mangrove with some nice prop roots to make things go a little quicker.

The smell is almost non-existant because I used dry lace rock instead of liverock. Given the fact that it has the waterfalls on it, the algae and "live" part of the rock grew very quickly only on the watered part of the exposed rock, so there is no smell associated with it. Well, short of the same "ocean" smell all open top tanks give off (which frankly is a selling point for me...;)

Doesn't nano reef have a gallon limit on the TOTM? Not to poke holes in any ones plans, but it is a Nano site.

Any who, I may be blatantly stealing this idea and putting a twist on it so I can say it was my idea. Bwahaha?

Many people have also asked about whether or not the crabs come out of the water, and that can be put to rest with this video. It is not the best in the world (as my tripod is missing for some reason) but it does get the point accross. I took a 35 minute video and sped it up to a 3:30 minute video. You can see some cool stuff.....

Anyway, hope you enjoy it and that it was worth your 4 minutes to watch!

Doesn't nano reef have a gallon limit on the TOTM? Not to poke holes in any ones plans, but it is a Nano site.

Any who, I may be blatantly stealing this idea and putting a twist on it so I can say it was my idea. Bwahaha?

Well, it says "Tanks under 40 are preferred" though I personally always thought that nano's were less than 100g (which is why I posted here in the first place), though I have of course found out that is not the case. So preferred isn't the same as disqualifying the Volcano Tank, is it? Oh well, regardless, it is a blast posting on this site and chatting with other reefers. (the people on this site as a whole are far better than any other reef site out there in my opinion...I like calling NR home)

But hey, compared to the ocean, anything is a nano right? Eh? Eh?

"This video is private"

Oops. Man, why is that the default?

Hang on.

"This video is private"

Okay, should be good to go. It did say that the video is still processing so the quality may be low. Still learning this youtube stuff....

Hahah when I'm diving I see little 6 by 6 foot islands of rock with a whole reef(SPS, tangs etc),

then there is nothing but sand for a few thousand feet.

Now that's what I call a nano reef compared to the ocean :D

NirvanaandTool

The video is awesome! A blur of clownfish, tangs and huge crabs! Didnt realize how big some of them were! Wow!

So jealous of that tank!

That crab is HUGE :eek:

I know! I have another one of that size...but it didn't come out during the video shoot. It was sulking in the back.....

can't see the video it's private but send me a friend request i'm veritas21885

Off private now. That is the 3rd time in a row I did that! Sorry. All videos have link now in my signature too....

Thanks for looking!

clifford513

That vid is a awesome. I like the way the sailfin tang makes feeding excursions and the the crab uses the mangrove like a fireman's pole!

Many people have also asked about whether or not the crabs come out of the water, and that can be put to rest with this video. It is not the best in the world (as my tripod is missing for some reason) but it does get the point accross. I took a 35 minute video and sped it up to a 3:30 minute video. You can see some cool stuff.....

Anyway, hope you enjoy it and that it was worth your 4 minutes to watch!

This is the most amazing aquarium I've ever seen.

Wow.

Archived