Coral Vue Hydros

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, goes to show that even when you HAVE the greatest tank ever, we're still planning for something better B) Its gonna take a lot to top this one buddy. :D

animalmaster6
Still in mind-phase! Roughly, just a bigger one. 5' x 5' x 16" with the same Volcano-style rock work...but maybe not a Volcano....you know, something else. I have not decided if I will replace the Volcano Tank or leave it running. If I migrate it to the larger tank, I will most likely put the volcano in the new tank as is. But, most of my mind-phase thoughts are revolving around an organized tunnel system below with some kind of viewing area portion under the tank. I figure with a custom built stand, remote sump and pumps (along with my already remote closed loop and chiller), I could make a portion of the tank "viewable" from underneath. I can silicone in the "tunnel" work, toss a magnet cleaner down there and incorporate some water flow off of a T from the closed loop via a small 1/4" return. I could light it some how with red LED or something.....not sure.

I also want to do a custom stand with stone work as the front face and tie in the whole Volcano-look (or what ever rock work I choose to do). I also want to make it in the center of the room, have a small stone ledge for drinks and feet and center chairs around it. Almost like a "fire-pit" type of look.

But again, this is only in the mind-phase. I need a couple more clients before I can start funding it!

Holy crap that's awesome.

Will the livestock be similar to this tank?

i saw this on another site and joined specifically to tell u that this tank rox! i am amazed at the forethought put into this . :o it is absolute amazing! u seem to be able to keep fish that most of us cant mix together but u can keep them and it seems to be working.

i thought this when u joined on the other site that u see a new guy post something and u think well, he got lucky or he did his research, but u dont really see someone come in and completely change the way u keep a tank. the way ur volcano top lifts off is awesome! u obviously put a ton of time into this! u also must spend like 2 hours a day on it for it to look that good!

u should be proud dood, this is unbelieveable. i can't saw enough how cool this is.

its funny, i can tell how much u like this thread more than the other site. ;) ill stick around here and see whats up.

This site pretty much smokes every other reef site.

Holy crap that's awesome.

Will the livestock be similar to this tank?

Possibly. I have also toyed around with splitting the tank in two...having a rock "ledge" protrude and thereby give passage to some creatures by land (crabs and etc.) and have small holes for small fish. That would allow me to have angelfish on one side and corals on the other.....so, if I do that, then the livestock would change a bit.

Overall, I think it would stay the same, or close to the same.

This site pretty much smokes every other reef site.

You know, nothing against the members on other sites, but the negativity and holier-than-thou mentality tends to make me not want to post on the sites. Sure, my "posts" number is not all that impressive, and it says I "joined" in 2009, but that does not make me a new guy by any stretch. Frankly, I think any opinion is valid in its own right.

Who would have "recommended" me to put huge crabs with small crabs with a lionfish with a carpet anemone in a reef tank? No one. That doesn't mean it can't happen. Some of those truely new reefers hear some mean things and snotty comments like "well, had you done research, maybe you wouldn't have killed....." or something, and that is not cool.

To further exemplify, the sailfin in my tank is a short term passenger as I could not bear to have him killed. So, he will be in his new home shortly. When I posted on this awesome site, people questioned about him, but when I went on the other "big" site, I got nailed about my cruelity and etc.....aside from the fact that he is growing big and fat and coloring up in the meantime. So, in a short tank is definitely better than being tossed in the garbage.

Oh well, enough rants.....I'll just keep posting here!

Thanks for ALL the positive feedback here though! I love it! Maybe we'll make TOTM one of these days!! I know it's not truly a "nano" but then again, most of our tanks are all 12" tall, right?! Eh? Eh?! ;):lol:

You should have a lava river on the dry part of the volcano.

Wow, I'm awesome. What a good idea.

Wow! My mind just blew apart!

Ha, kidding. :D

You know, I had thought for the purpose of a video, was to put brine in the waterfall, so it would "pour lava" and look red! That would be funny! That would be kinda like a lava river!

You know, nothing against the members on other sites, but the negativity and holier-than-thou mentality tends to make me not want to post on the sites. Sure, my "posts" number is not all that impressive, and it says I "joined" in 2009, but that does not make me a new guy by any stretch. Frankly, I think any opinion is valid in its own right.

Who would have "recommended" me to put huge crabs with small crabs with a lionfish with a carpet anemone in a reef tank? No one. That doesn't mean it can't happen. Some of those truely new reefers hear some mean things and snotty comments like "well, had you done research, maybe you wouldn't have killed....." or something, and that is not cool.

To further exemplify, the sailfin in my tank is a short term passenger as I could not bear to have him killed. So, he will be in his new home shortly. When I posted on this awesome site, people questioned about him, but when I went on the other "big" site, I got nailed about my cruelity and etc.....aside from the fact that he is growing big and fat and coloring up in the meantime. So, in a short tank is definitely better than being tossed in the garbage.

Oh well, enough rants.....I'll just keep posting here!

Thanks for ALL the positive feedback here though! I love it! Maybe we'll make TOTM one of these days!! I know it's not truly a "nano" but then again, most of our tanks are all 12" tall, right?! Eh? Eh?! ;):lol:

Agreed. You would definitely deserve it! This is probably my favorite aquarium out of any I've seen. I have some serious tank envy going on, haha.

animalmaster6
Possibly. I have also toyed around with splitting the tank in two...having a rock "ledge" protrude and thereby give passage to some creatures by land (crabs and etc.) and have small holes for small fish. That would allow me to have angelfish on one side and corals on the other.....so, if I do that, then the livestock would change a bit.

Overall, I think it would stay the same, or close to the same.

If you do the split thing...

Gobies! omgomgomg Yes of course I'm a goby freak :rolleyes: Just put a mesh top on one side :lol:

If you do the split thing...

Gobies! omgomgomg Yes of course I'm a goby freak :rolleyes: Just put a mesh top on one side :lol:

Gobies are a risk for the crabs....they get stressed since the crabs always dig their hideouts out. Sadly, gobies seem to be not an option here in crab land. :angry:

animalmaster6
Gobies are a risk for the crabs....they get stressed since the crabs always dig their hideouts out. Sadly, gobies seem to be not an option here in crab land. :angry:

Oh ya, forgot about the giant hungry crabs -_-

What kind of crabs are those? The ones that come out of the water? Where did you get them? How big do the get?

What kind of crabs are those? The ones that come out of the water? Where did you get them? How big do the get?

Pachygrapsus crassipes. They are a local shore crab off the coast of California (among many other spots). I have one that is close to full size, which would be if you squashed a tennis ball into the shape of a crab.

They are awesome! This tank was designed specifically with them in mind....

Here is the inside of the Volcano, with the egg crate removed (well, part of the egg crate..I have it in two sections).

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

I think the next addition for the volcano should be either A. liquid hot magma or B. a mountain lair where an evil person can plan their evil plots.

Still following this tank just like everyone else.. haha.

I bet you have some customers lined up who are wanting a tank identical to this.

Archived