SaltCritters.com

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

I don't blame you...23 pages is a ton to read!

The return is split three ways; one to the left, one to the right and then the waterfalls (which is also split 3 ways). However, there is a closed loop (intake on the back left and return on the back right) that has a 1/3 HP chiller in-line.

That's it for flow.

Like that there are no powerheads hanging on the glass look.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like that there are no powerheads hanging on the glass look.

This was a consideration from day one. I personally try to set up most tanks without them anyway, but the driving reason was "no crab escape options!"

Plus, with out a traditional "rock wall" along the back, water flow is handled much simpler.

This was a consideration from day one. I personally try to set up most tanks without them anyway, but the driving reason was "no crab escape options!"

Plus, with out a traditional "rock wall" along the back, water flow is handled much simpler.

Yea, well it looks awesome.

Can you recap on filtration/skimmer/refugium stuff? As there probably has been some since first post and saves going through so many.

how tall do the mangroves grow, if that's what those are?

I haven't signed into this site in a while, but I couldn't pass on the opportunity to congratulate you on one of the most awe-inspiring tanks I've ever seen. It's magical, breathtaking, and captures the imagination of all reef lovers. Truly awesome job my friend. I would love to have some high-res shots of your tank if you have any.

I haven't signed into this site in a while, but I couldn't pass on the opportunity to congratulate you on one of the most awe-inspiring tanks I've ever seen. It's magical, breathtaking, and captures the imagination of all reef lovers. Truly awesome job my friend. I would love to have some high-res shots of your tank if you have any.

Thanks for the awesome comments!

Any that you like, let me know.....

Yea, well it looks awesome.

Can you recap on filtration/skimmer/refugium stuff? As there probably has been some since first post and saves going through so many.

how tall do the mangroves grow, if that's what those are?

Simple sump/skimmer (G2) set up...nothing special. No refugium, as the mangroves (yes they are) do the job. Real simple. I have the chiller and and lighting ballasts plumbed/wired out to a waterproof shed outside for heat and noise reasons.

Mangroves will grow ridiculously tall...as they are trees. Now, in captivity, they won't grow like trees, but I will most likely have to remove them in a couple of years.

I am comtemplating running PAR38 LED lights as spot lights to replace the halides. If so, that will allow for much stronger growth as the heat from the halides is starting to impare the growth of the mangroves since they have grown 3 inches in 3 months. The leaves are starting to burn. I was not expecting so much growth, but I feed the tank a TON due to the crabs, anemone and fish. that produces a ton of waste and the mangroves are just eating it up!

So, we'll see. Does that answer your question? (1500 words later!)

So, this carpet anemone is ridiculous! It is a little hard to gauge on the photo, and i turned the pumps off to try and help with the photos...but this thing is enormous. Now...it is fully extended, which they tend not to do so much, but still. It measured (approximately since it was curved) 13.5”! CRAZY!

I also took a shot of the bird’s nest fragmentation I got two months ago....kind of a cool measurement to date.

Thanks for looking, as always!

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

So, for comparison’s sake...here is the anemone about a month after I got it (which was December 13th, 2009), so this shot is January-ish....

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

(It doesn't even get to the rock where the zoanthids are, much less cover 65% of them! Also notice the mangrove on the left side as well...there is about an inch or so space on the before and the anemone is past it by about 2.5" on the after.)

Now, here is the Bird’s Nest coral now, and the before picture follows. That also was taken around January. I am pretty happy with the growth on this guy.

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

And what would a Volcano Tank picture update be with out a crab picture?

IMG_0795.jpg

NirvanaandTool

New pictures are awesome! That carpet is absolutely huge!

Do you ever run into aggression problems between the 3 clownfish pairs?

New pictures are awesome! That carpet is absolutely huge!

Do you ever run into aggression problems between the 3 clownfish pairs?

No aggression, but the Sebae's don't like the Black Ocellaris near their anemone. I am very happy with the order of introduction....as I think that saved the temperment of the tank.

Guest TheBlueLorax

I can't express how much I really like this tank one little suggestion is creating a livestock list to add on to this thread if you don't already have one please fingerscrossed ... :flower:

I can't express how much I really like this tank one little suggestion is creating a livestock list to add on to this thread if you don't already have one please fingerscrossed ... :flower:

It's hard to manage the thread!

Here is the current list though!!

Desjardini Sailfin Tang

Purple Tang

Sebae Clown - 2

Black Ocellaris Clown - 2

Ocellaris Clown - 2

Yellow Fin Damsel - 2

Green Chromis - 1 (I removed all the chromis a couple months ago and this guy appeared out of nowhere around 1 month later. I believe he got in the center overflow and somehow made it out eventually. Really crazy.)

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

Once again You have pleased the Gods and made him very happy!

boombahoohw3.jpg

Seriously though, Congrats on the magazine write-up! I also think it's great when fellow Nano-Reefers get and receive recognition on other reef web-sites. It all just goes to show that Nano-Reef members really know their "shnit"! ;)

Once again You have pleased the Gods and made him very happy!

boombahoohw3.jpg

Seriously though, Congrats on the magazine write-up! I also think it's great when fellow Nano-Reefers get and receive recognition on other reef web-sites. It all just goes to show that Nano-Reef members really know their "shnit"! ;)

Thanks!

I absolutely LOVE your picture! Man alive....that is AWESOME!

Is it your tank? Do you have before and after pictures?

No it isn't my pic. But I couldn't resist using it, it really fits your theme! This would be easy to do. Buy a statue and use a frag of green slimer acro and let it encrust and grow!! (Hint, Hint)! ;)

Scopus Tang

Wow! and may I say again wow! I don't visit over here too often (not sure why, since technically almost all my tanks qualify as nanos), but whenever I stop by I always have to check out your thread. Simply amazing.

Wow! and may I say again wow! I don't visit over here too often (not sure why, since technically almost all my tanks qualify as nanos), but whenever I stop by I always have to check out your thread. Simply amazing.

:welcome: And don't be a stranger!!

Hey sweet tank. I have a question though. Can you give a quick break down on equipment?

Go to www.konolua.com/volcano and I have it all broken down there...also, somewhere in the teens on this site, I have pictures of it up.....

Let me know if you have questions!

animalmaster6

:welcome: to N-R! :)

Archived