Coral Vue Hydros

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

Wow. Any more of a description would be disrespectful.

If it weren't for the crabs, I'd say you should add plant life to the volcano itself. How cool would that be? With the constant salt drip, I'm not sure it would be possible, but even some sturdy orchids would just complete the effect.

Regardless, an amazing concept. I've seen this done on a smaller scale; this is one concept I'm not sure a Nano could recreate well.

I'm with you on the plant life thing.

You should hear my vision for my "big" volcano-style tank I have in the works! It's a secret until done, but I will say this.....what I am creating along the lines of a drip combined with a couple more ideas for waterfalls will accomplish the "plant life" request two-fold!

Though, with that said, given the current set-up, I can't incorporate that....though I wanted to.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something tells me an ATO hooked up in some way to* water the plants would be cool, but then you have sediment issues. Just pitching ideas to the master, of course.

edit:can't post worth a damn.

Glad Big Fish is doing great! :)

Congrats on the fuzzy! Are you worried it will bother your inverts?

No, but I don't have many "normal" invertebrates! No issues on that front.

animalmaster6

What about the crabs?

This tank is looking crazy awesome! The carpet is huge!!!

What's the current fish list?

Looks like we're in the same line of work Kyle. I can't imagine how much better a business like this would do in California as compared to where I am in New Jersey haha

Beautiful tank.. I fell in love with it when I saw it a few months ago. I have to ask- is that one rock or multiple rocks in the center? Is it even a rock??

Looks like we're in the same line of work Kyle. I can't imagine how much better a business like this would do in California as compared to where I am in New Jersey haha

Beautiful tank.. I fell in love with it when I saw it a few months ago. I have to ask- is that one rock or multiple rocks in the center? Is it even a rock??

Amazing, huh? I am trying to break out of the corporate America and make this a full-time gig.

It's actually five rocks. One huge one on the right, one huge one in the middle, and one that goes up to the water level on the left. Then, I have the "basin" rock that lays on the overflow and sticks out to the left. Then, I have the "Volcano Tip" rock that sits on top. The waterfalls supply the huge rock on the right, and the Volcano Tip rock which fills the basin and drips down the left.

There was a certain level of luck involved.... ;)

Oh, and it is lace rock.

Just skimmed through, i have a problem with forgetting stuff so, this might have been asked before even by me.

Are those saddleback clowns?

This is one of the most amazing tanks I have ever seen. It's so beautiful and so original. I would love to set something up like it one day. Awesome job man!

Just skimmed through, i have a problem with forgetting stuff so, this might have been asked before even by me.

Are those saddleback clowns?

Sebae clowns.

cruzH20polo

:bowdown:

Great idea

even better execution

that carpet nem really is amazing

love the mangroves too...

awesome tank ... keep the pics coming!!!

:bowdown:

Great idea

even better execution

that carpet nem really is amazing

love the mangroves too...

awesome tank ... keep the pics coming!!!

Hang on to your saddles, tons of pictures coming!

IMG_0125.jpg

This carpet is becoming more and more the focal point of the tank. Here, it is folded because I had fed it two full size raw shrimp. Like the tiger prawns that my wife and I cook. I feed the crabs those too and everyone goes bonkers.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

Made a trip to the coast to get some snails and hermit crabs (which is more food for the big guys than anything else) and was welcomed by this big guy. He's extremely colorful and is "experienced." You can tell the "Rambo" crabs from the others by the amount of algae on them. This guy has been around....

IMG_0186.jpg

So, this guy has molted twice in the tank, and you can clearly see the difference in color than the other guy...white collar vs. blue collar.

IMG_0159.jpg

Really dig this shot. Finally, the color of the tank seems to be well represented here...

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Doesn't that carpet look enormous?!

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

This guy is cool.

IMG_0204.jpg

This is my favorite side...

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

I also got a huge mussel from the coast too. It is covered in tunicates and barnacles. The algae will be gone shortly of course, but the original mussels that I put in are still alive and kicking, so I bet this guy will do well too....

IMG_0232.jpg

Just a cool shot. He is directly in front of the waterfall return and it was spraying all over the place. I wish I was a pro photographer because it was way cool in person.

IMG_0267.jpg

I spend a ton of time looking at this angle a lot. I love the algae growth. This area is COVERED with amphipods, and copepods. It is awesome. I was trying to get pictures of that but my lens won't focus enough.

IMG_0268.jpg

One of the beauties of the Volcano Tank set up....

Also, the return from the chiller is in-between the mushrooms.

IMG_0275.jpg

My initial reaction to this shot was "Cool," and then I looked at it more....and it is really neat, I think...

IMG_0276.jpg

Hope you enjoy. I LOVE taking pictures so, excuse the bandwidth!

on the edge of my seat...

Did you fall off yet?

:o

Had to pick myself off the floor - those are some great shots... This is like artwork, a great expression of what can be done with some thought, imagination and ingenuity.

STUNNING!

:o

Had to pick myself off the floor - those are some great shots... This is like artwork, a great expression of what can be done with some thought, imagination and ingenuity.

STUNNING!

THANKS! Lots of times, the shots are cool, or neat, but they never convey what it is like in person. A couple of these shots seemed to get closer. I need to get another video up...

Thanks for all the positive comments though! Well appreciated!

cruzH20polo
Hang on to your saddles, tons of pictures coming!

I think i just fell off the horse

that tank is just so dynamic

every single aspect has so much life and so much going on!!

epic update!

Archived