inTank Media Baskets

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

First of all, all I can say is wooowww! Very nice.

Just read the whole thread but I don't know if I missed it, how thick is your glass?

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, all I can say is wooowww! Very nice.

Just read the whole thread but I don't know if I missed it, how thick is your glass?

Thanks. It is 1/2" glass. Trying to keep that thing as clean as possible!

Some photos. Mostly livestock. Did some additions. More details on http://www.konolua.com/RSS/Volcano_Tank/Volcano_Tank.html

IMG_8455.jpg

Orange fungia. This was the first day, and it had only been in the tank 30 minutes.

IMG_8486.jpg

Crab on the water line. Take a peek at that algae growth already!

IMG_8519.jpg

Got a new general star. Looks like a dude laying in the pool.

IMG_8530.jpg

Urchin.

IMG_8532.jpg

Lonely looking Xenia.

IMG_8534.jpg

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8569.jpg

Got a pair of tank raised black clowns.

IMG_8570.jpg

IMG_8586.jpg

Here is the dusky jawfish I added a bit back. The fungia is now in it's current spot.

Enjoy!

Brought home the last of our previous reef tank inhabitants. It is a Desjardini Sailfin Tang. I was reluctant to put him in the Volcano tank due to his size, but he could no longer be in his temporary home. The water column gives him double his height, so he should remain healthy and active, though I fear his growth will be stunted. The square footage is plenty for him, so all should be well.

Regardless, we are happy to have him home. Within minutes he was eating and doing fine. IOddly enough, the Purple Tang who is one of the meanest of the species as far as I am concerned, tried to do his thing and was quickly shut down. The sailfin didn't even flare, he just did not seem to acknowledge the purple tang.

I also snapped a shot of the fungia that is becoming more and more open. It seems to be acclimating well.

All the bubbles you see is because the sump level is low enough to have a little waterfall of it's own and it is creating turbulence below that the return pump is transferring to the display. I will take some better shots when I have the water chagne and tank cleaning done in the next day or so.

Thanks (as always) for taking a look!

IMG_8603.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8606.jpg

absolutely the coolest most unique and beautiful tank I have ever seen, wish i had more hands cause two thumbs up just doesn't seem like enough

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized that part of the reason I like this tank so much is the lower kelvin lighting. Most tanks are super blue, which looks great for accenting corals, but a nice white light appears so much more natural- especially in a lagoon style tank such as this one.

This tank is freakin awesome if i ever build i bigger reef its going to be like this, on a side note i think you should sue deep sea aquatics for copying your amazing tank, or atleast trying to lol

Getting hard to update on NR.com.....but here is a video...

Thanks! I did update my site though, www.konolua.com/Volcano.html

This tank is freakin awesome if i ever build i bigger reef its going to be like this, on a side note i think you should sue deep sea aquatics for copying your amazing tank, or atleast trying to lol

Elaborate? What did they do?

they built a tank where the return comes up through a volcano like piece of plastic and trickles down back to the water, it looks almost as if they copied your idea but your volcano is live rock with basins and theres is a piece of plastic, anyway great tank again!

Those tanks have been around for a few years though so I wouldn't say they copied your design. I've seen some in person and they aren't bad but I'd rather save the money and build my own.

Archived