inTank Media Baskets

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

I love your desjardini sailfin :). I have a regular pacific sailfin. How big is yours and how is he faring in a tank thats only 75g? Do you think you will upgrade to a bigger tank in the future for his 15" of fish?

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love your desjardini sailfin :). I have a regular pacific sailfin. How big is yours and how is he faring in a tank thats only 75g? Do you think you will upgrade to a bigger tank in the future for his 15" of fish?

He's not a big dude, may be 6" when fins are spread. I have a couple of ideas for a larger tank (and yes, all revolve around out of water structures. Put it this way, the Volcano Tank idea was a "cheap" effort and if we remodel the house, then the tank idea will be remodeled as well....)

He will go with someone else if he out grows this tank prior to me building a larger one.

So, lots going on. Decided on a beautiful carpet anemone...despite my original intents. This whole tank is hit on normalacy so I thought I would carry that thought process through. So, will do my best to monitor my new potential reef-killer and make it feel at home.

Tried up on the volcano ledge itself, and though it seemed to settle, it decided to wander. I had anticipated that and moved my star polyp colony and some rocks away from the right sand bed and put the clam there. My thinking was if the anemone moved, then I would put it in the sand bed and move the clam back up.

Well, that ended up being the case and the anemone has seemed to make a home in the sand bed. It will always have the propensity to move, but given the water flow and placement, it should hang here for a while.

Here is to hoping!

IMG_8874.jpg

Here is where it started out.

IMG_8890.jpg

Here is the tank in the morning with sunlight.

IMG_8929.jpg

This is a picture from this morning after the anemone has been in the sand bed and same spot for a couple of days. Let's hope he stays!

IMG_8938.jpg

The anemone has already eaten one of the crabs. Let's hope they stay away from it! The other one ran on top of it and the anemone enclosed around it. I tried to assist but the anemone was sticking too much for me that I figured I would stress the daylights out of it if I got the crab loose. Life happens, and though we try to contain the habitat as best as possible, sometimes we succeed. Anyway, here is a shot of a crab looking on to the anemone this morning.

Let me know your thoughts!

Someone on a different post mentioned "why would you have just rock out of water? I don't see a purpose in that."

Well, here is one reason....

IMG_8847.jpg

IMG_8849.jpg

IMG_8853.jpg

They ran around the tip for 5 minutes. A spat, and fun to watch.

animalmaster6

YOUR TANK IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just can't believe how AWESOME ur tank is!

Do u have any gobies or blennies?

Sorry about ur crab. :(

I favorited and bookmarked ur volcano website i LOVE ur tank so much!

YOUR TANK IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just can't believe how AWESOME ur tank is!

Do u have any gobies or blennies?

Sorry about ur crab. :(

I favorited and bookmarked ur volcano website i LOVE ur tank so much!

Thanks! I have tried a couple of blennies and gobies, but alas, they jump....as gobies/blennies do. As for the crab, I feel bad that it died as a result of being in the tank, though I do have 7 more....so biologically, the tank shall go on, as life does!!!

Just had another run in. This time, I was able to save the crab. This may be a constant problem! Oh boy!

So, I saw the anemone wrapped up, and wondered why. Saw the crab, took some quick photos as it started to move (which is why the pictures appear blurry). I was going to get some better shots but decided to help it since it was nearing the edge. Unfortunately, since the anemone was in attack mode, it was hyper sticky. Three times as sticky as I have ever seen or felt anemone. It closed up on my fingers immediately. I was able to help the crab out, though I do believe it got a good pinch on the anemone first.

Me on the other hand, took around 2 minutes just to get myself free. I tried to wait it out, but it was too sticky. Surprisingly, only a couple suction cups broke off of it, so I think I didn’t do any damage. I can’t imagine the crab did either, but since the anemone is still new, I hope that the stress level is not at dangerous levels.

Even now, as I look, it has opened back up, so hopefully it will be okay.

These crabs have left everything alone, and I have two other anemones that they walk near and around but never bother. However, they walk up to this carpet anemone and it sticks immediately and must pull them in quickly! I always figured the crabs would eat my corals.....never planned on this!

IMG_8942.jpg

IMG_8943.jpg

IMG_8944.jpg

animalmaster6
Thanks! I have tried a couple of blennies and gobies, but alas, they jump....as gobies/blennies do. As for the crab, I feel bad that it died as a result of being in the tank, though I do have 7 more....so biologically, the tank shall go on, as life does!!!

Ya I hope no more crabs will be attcked! Blennies and Gobies do jump a lot and with ur open tank... You know what will happen. If u want to get some blennies and gobies I know many that do not jump that often.

ive read all 12 pages on this thread and have watched all your youtube videos. im interested in the build steps to this tank???? hope its not a seceret lol..... do you have any shots of the building of the actual volcano with the plumbing? and how you have the rock around the overflow? thanks once again great idea and great tank

i would try to make a tank like this but i know it would never be as cool as this one.

so ill just stick to my other plans.

i feel wholly incompetent looking at this tank. that is the most amazing fish tank i have ever seen, ever. should i one day gain the finances, experience, and technical prowess necessary to do this...

aw what the hell, i'll just look at yours. AWESOME.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there everyone! Sorry for the delay in some updates, but here is a minor update until I do some video and photographing tonight.

We have enlarged our clown population and shrunk our chromis population. We added a pair of Sebae Clownfish (male and female). We had already added the carpet anemone and they went right into it. It has been about 2 weeks now. Wonderful dynamic to add in any tank.

Everything else is progressing well. Water parameters are spot on. Stoneys are right around the corner now!

IMG_8955.jpg

IMG_8953.jpg

IMG_8966.jpg

IMG_8971.jpg

IMG_8974.jpg

animalmaster6
Hey there everyone! Sorry for the delay in some updates, but here is a minor update until I do some video and photographing tonight.

We have enlarged our clown population and shrunk our chromis population. We added a pair of Sebae Clownfish (male and female). We had already added the carpet anemone and they went right into it. It has been about 2 weeks now. Wonderful dynamic to add in any tank.

Everything else is progressing well. Water parameters are spot on. Stoneys are right around the corner now!

IMG_8955.jpg

IMG_8953.jpg

IMG_8966.jpg

IMG_8971.jpg

IMG_8974.jpg

Everything looks good! Great Pics!

How is Big Fish?

Everything looks good! Great Pics!

How is Big Fish?

Finally starting to fatten up. Which is a good thing of course. My hand is in the tank so often that they are all very used to me. Him especially. I will do anything (food, pull something out, etc) and he gets In the way. He lets me touch him which Is odd.

Man, I love this tank dynamic!

animalmaster6
Finally starting to fatten up. Which is a good thing of course. My hand is in the tank so often that they are all very used to me. Him especially. I will do anything (food, pull something out, etc) and he gets In the way. He lets me touch him which Is odd.

Man, I love this tank dynamic!

I should be getting my 125 Gallon tank saturaday morning! Can't Wait!

The number one fish too get is tha Desardjini Saiflin Tang. What do u feed yours? Just Nori Sheets?

I should be getting my 125 Gallon tank saturaday morning! Can't Wait!

The number one fish too get is tha Desardjini Saiflin Tang. What do u feed yours? Just Nori Sheets?

Actually, the Sailfins are a bit more carnivorous than the Zebrasomas and mine is even more or a meat eater than normal. He will go after algae sheets (all kinds), but it seems more of interest. He devours the krill that I feed the anemone and crabs. In fact, he is the one that makes the crabs go out of the water to save their food! I do the spirulina flakes a lot as well and he eats those.

But, his staple foods are prime reef and krill.

Didn't expect that, huh? The purple tang is all about the algae sheets.

Archived