Coral Vue Hydros

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Incredible!

I see you have a Staghorn hermit. I am thinking about getting one for the 125G. How do you like him?

He's awesome. Aclimated well and the porities is doing awesome too. Do note, they need a ton of sand space to walk around. They are not good at climbing, but without the proper space, they tend to climb rock and get caught in it. They can't flip their shells like other hermits (obviously) so that is the only concern.

Tons of sand equals tons of fun!

Good luck! I see your 125g is getting ready to be set up! Good luck!

animalmaster6
He's awesome. Aclimated well and the porities is doing awesome too. Do note, they need a ton of sand space to walk around. They are not good at climbing, but without the proper space, they tend to climb rock and get caught in it. They can't flip their shells like other hermits (obviously) so that is the only concern.

Tons of sand equals tons of fun!

Good luck! I see your 125g is getting ready to be set up! Good luck!

Thanks!

I think he will have proper room in my sandbed. I am having a large sandbed for the pearly Jawfish and Goby/shrimps pair.

1.Do they shed their shell like other hermit crabs?

2.Can their Acro shell sting other corals?

3.Are they dangerous to snails like some other hermits?

4.Are they aggressive?

5.Any other additional info?

Thanks

Thanks!

I think he will have proper room in my sandbed. I am having a large sandbed for the pearly Jawfish and Goby/shrimps pair.

1.Do they shed their shell like other hermit crabs?

2.Can their Acro shell sting other corals?

3.Are they dangerous to snails like some other hermits?

4.Are they aggressive?

5.Any other additional info?

Thanks

1. No, they don't swap shells like other hermits. They burrow the inside of their shell to make the hole. Since the base is a living organism, it continues to grow bigger and bigger and the hermit kills off the inside to make it larger and larger.

2. No, the porities is actually very sensitive, so it would most likely BE stung by something else. Plate corals, anemones, and LPS are only the real culprits, as the other stuff wouldn't damage it quick enough to be a problem. Plus, that stuff usually stays up on the rocks anyway. What's funny, is I took a chance since I have two fungias and a crab-eating carpet anemone, yet the hermit stays away from them....so maybe it knows.

3. No danger as they are not trying to take the snail's shell.

4. Somewhat aggressive, but not too anything other than worms, etc. No sea slugs....

5. Nothing additional, other than the sandbed thing, which you have under control. Have fun with it! Makes sure you have the lighting appropriate for SPS though.

OH. MY. GOD.

What kind of crabs are those?????? (The green bodied red clawed ones!) I am in total love with those!!!!!

Pachygrapsus crassipes.

They are local to Southern California, and do marvelously in captivity. They thrive in fact, as I keep the food coming!

It's on a closed loop. The picture is almost directly from the top. The pump itself is outside in a small storage-shed thing.

So, the pump has two intake sources, split by a T-Valve. Normally, it is fed by the intake from the tank (that is the pipe that runs from the house (back right in the picture). The valve on the T (the closed valave with the the power cord on it), stays closed and is only used to connect to my trash can that I mix water in.

Then, returning from the pump, you see the union valve and then a T split there. The red handled valve off the T-split leads to the underground drain. It is currently shut in the picture. Otherwise, the grey valve (that is open) is business as usual and feeds the chiller and returns back into the house.

Helps?

It's not the prettiest remote station I have ever set up, but it is funny when you use your own money, you tend not to buy the best materials! But hey, aside from cleaning and prepping the water, the change itself is less than 5 minutes and requires me to turn three valves! Can't beat that!

Perfect explanation -- and the zoomed-out pictures helped a lot, too.

Thanks!

Pachygrapsus crassipes.

They are local to Southern California, and do marvelously in captivity. They thrive in fact, as I keep the food coming!

Awesome thanks! Now I just have to find somewhere to get one rofl!

animalmaster6
1. No, they don't swap shells like other hermits. They burrow the inside of their shell to make the hole. Since the base is a living organism, it continues to grow bigger and bigger and the hermit kills off the inside to make it larger and larger.

2. No, the porities is actually very sensitive, so it would most likely BE stung by something else. Plate corals, anemones, and LPS are only the real culprits, as the other stuff wouldn't damage it quick enough to be a problem. Plus, that stuff usually stays up on the rocks anyway. What's funny, is I took a chance since I have two fungias and a crab-eating carpet anemone, yet the hermit stays away from them....so maybe it knows.

3. No danger as they are not trying to take the snail's shell.

4. Somewhat aggressive, but not too anything other than worms, etc. No sea slugs....

5. Nothing additional, other than the sandbed thing, which you have under control. Have fun with it! Makes sure you have the lighting appropriate for SPS though.

Thanks!

1. Awesome!

2. I am not having anemones. I will have a few LPS though.

3. Good.

4. Ok, ok. Anything else besides worms and sea slugs?

5. Having awesome lights! 400 Watt MH with 80 Watt T5 Actinics with 1 watt LED Moonlights :happy:

Thanks!

1. Awesome!

2. I am not having anemones. I will have a few LPS though.

3. Good.

4. Ok, ok. Anything else besides worms and sea slugs?

5. Having awesome lights! 400 Watt MH with 80 Watt T5 Actinics with 1 watt LED Moonlights :happy:

GREAT lighting! Good luck!

Seriously awesome tank and amazing concept! Definitely top 10 that I have seen.

Wow, thanks! Thanks alot!

• 2 weeks later...

can i come live with you? ide love to learn from you, and i can cook/clean/pay rent though i cant drive yet but i bike everywhere anyway

Looks Great! :)

How is Big Fish?

He's doing awesome. He's grown a bit and is filling out (he was skinny when I got him back).

He's a hero!

Here's our Fuzzy Lionfish.

IMG_0068.JPG

I really love this tank. It's very unique. Great job!

I was just wondering about the crabs you keep. I once had them in my tank, and I noticed sometimes that they would try to attack my fish. Has you ever had any problems with them attacking anything?

I really love this tank. It's very unique. Great job!

I was just wondering about the crabs you keep. I once had them in my tank, and I noticed sometimes that they would try to attack my fish. Has you ever had any problems with them attacking anything?

No. With crabs, you can stifle their aggression with feeding (usually). I feed daily, and they get a lot of extras too. They eat most of my hermit crabs and snails (yeah, awesome....) so, we've never seen aggression. Frankly, the reverse. The fish are very aggressive towards them!

Also, crabs (or anything) become aggressive when they are dying....and many people (I am not saying you though) find crabs to be aggressive because they do not offer a way to get out of the water. Crabs will drown if unable to expel water in their gills completely. It is like us taking a deep breath and exhaling as much as we can. As such, a common conception is that the crabs become mean. This happens in fresh water too with the fiddler crabs.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Also, a side note on crabs...if they have extremely pointy claws, and often black-tipped, then they are aggressive and designed for tearing flesh. If the tips are really curvy, that is for going after shells, and if they are flat then they are algae-scrappers. Maybe your crabs were slightly different? These guys are more of the curvy type.

Oh thank you that helps alot. I think mine were agressive because the only out of water rock was hard to reach!

I'll keep this in mind for the future!

Wow. Any more of a description would be disrespectful.

If it weren't for the crabs, I'd say you should add plant life to the volcano itself. How cool would that be? With the constant salt drip, I'm not sure it would be possible, but even some sturdy orchids would just complete the effect.

Regardless, an amazing concept. I've seen this done on a smaller scale; this is one concept I'm not sure a Nano could recreate well.

Archived