Pod Your Reef

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

I'll tell ya - I travel a lot up and down Cali and go out to Thousand Oaks a couple of times a year. I would LOVE to see this in person...

How much do you charge for admission? :)

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As always, you stun us with your awesome photography skills and beautiful tank. Thanks for sharing.

THANKS! I need a macro lens....then it would be awesome!

B)

I swear, one of the rare "thinking outside the box" success stories.

To think, all for a few crabs ;)

Though, I have to admit, they are cool.

I'll tell ya - I travel a lot up and down Cali and go out to Thousand Oaks a couple of times a year. I would LOVE to see this in person...

How much do you charge for admission? :)

Nada, and you are welcome to stop by! I have had a couple people from NR come by! Though, I will require that you say only awesome things about it when you are here. You know, it goes nuts and all that if you don't constantly praise it.

B)

I swear, one of the rare "thinking outside the box" success stories.

To think, all for a few crabs ;)

Though, I have to admit, they are cool.

Damn things....but, at least it is a good thing I am not all about penguins.

OClownsandNanos

Been tagging along, and the awesome beauty and careful planning of this tank is only surpassed by the useful and thoughtful responses you bring to nano-reef in this journal and in all the forums I've seen you respond in. I do hope you are able to stay here for a while. I think I, for one, could learn a heck of a lot from you. :)

animalmaster6

This tank is probably one of the greatest tanks I've ver seen in my life. STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Score on the mussel with tunicates ;)

What is the current fish list?

squirrelieygrrrl

duh-roool!

:bowdown:

this is absolutely fantastic. wow. nuff said.

makes my tank look like a pile of hammered dog doo. lol.

Get some dendros? PLEASE?!

Man I want this tank...

Next on the list...I had originally intended on them being smack dab in the front, but I have NO light at all there; and viewing AWESOME corals like those guys at least require SOME light to fully appreciate their awesomeness. When I was "designing" the tank, I knew lighting there would be limited, but not to this extent. Due to the nature of the Volcano ledges, it is a light block.

On the other hand, I am thinking of moving the brown polyps I have in front and they DO get some light...I may start with duncans in that spot though...

What is the current fish list?

Desjardini Sailfin Tang

Purple Tang

Sebae Clown - 2

Black Ocellaris Clown - 2

Ocellaris Clown - 2

Yellow Fin Damsel - 2

Green Chromis - 1 (I removed all the chromis a couple months ago and this guy appeared out of nowhere around 1 month later. I believe he got in the center overflow and somehow made it out eventually. Really crazy.)

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

IMG_0125.jpg

Did you fall off yet?

I did.

Holy freaking crap... And I thought I had seen every cool possible tank. This thing is just off the charts. Unreal. Great job.

I did.

Holy freaking crap... And I thought I had seen every cool possible tank. This thing is just off the charts. Unreal. Great job.

Yeah, that anemone is something else, huh?!

So, turned off the living room lights to go to sleep, and thought I would break out the flash light for fun. Hadn't done that in over a month. Thank goodness...I found the new large crab in the anemone of which the anemone's mouth was larger than the crab, which was just sitting there ready to die. I freed it (very easily compared to the other fiasco a couple of months ago), and all was well.

IMG_0323.jpg

However, the chemical fight that the anemone had been waging took a toll on my skimmer, which unfortunately, I hadn't emptied in about a week since I do not get too much sludge nowadays. That however, resulted in what I would presume was 10 minutes or so of overflowage...which of course meant all of my nice, thick, brown almost black sewage found a new home back in the sump and tank. RAD!

Good thing I have no RO right now. That's cool.

Will be doing water change tomorrow.

On a good note, I tend to take pictures a day after a water change so some pictures to come soon!

Here's some neat pictures.

IMG_0285.jpg

I just love what daylight does to the tank. Never can capture it on camera though....

IMG_0290.jpg

The new big crab. Awesome looking.

IMG_0307.jpg

That's pretty awesome. That crab was just sitting there contemplating his fate and how he ended up in that predicament and you were like I'll save you little buddy! I bet he'll stay far from the anemone from now on.

animalmaster6
Desjardini Sailfin Tang

Purple Tang

Sebae Clown - 2

Black Ocellaris Clown - 2

Ocellaris Clown - 2

Yellow Fin Damsel - 2

Green Chromis - 1 (I removed all the chromis a couple months ago and this guy appeared out of nowhere around 1 month later. I believe he got in the center overflow and somehow made it out eventually. Really crazy.)

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

Very Nice fish list!

Are you planning on ever getting more fish?

The enw big crab looks reallu cool!

Very Nice fish list!

Are you planning on ever getting more fish?

No...too many fish as it is! Would love to just have the the two tangs and 6 clowns....the damsels came about because one of them only has one eye, and I felt sorry for it, and my wife liked the other. They are well behaved and just fine, but asthecically, I would have preferred less fish!

animalmaster6
No...too many fish as it is! Would love to just have the the two tangs and 6 clowns....the damsels came about because one of them only has one eye, and I felt sorry for it, and my wife liked the other. They are well behaved and just fine, but asthecically, I would have preferred less fish!

:lol: I always prefer more fish.

What days is your tank open for public swim sessions?

Tuesday's and Thursday.

Snorkeling lessons are on Wednesday mornings.

Archived