Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Konolua - Volcano Tank

konolua

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pismo_reefer

AWESOME PICS!!!!

but i think i speak for all of us when i say WE NEED A VIDEO!

plZ

seahorsedreams

We are going to try an mimic this. It's an awesome and original tank.

Ignore the little chick reefer decal you may find on the outside of your window.... 1000 oaks isn't that far away from me :-)

This is the coolest tank i have ever seen. I cant wait to see it once its all grown it. What a unique and completely original idea!

Good job!

Thanks to all!

It's 4.5 weeks old now and am going through a diatom bloom. Under control but irritating nonetheless. 5 months will be here in no time.

The crabs are a local species, and most likely belong to the family Grapsidae. I believe them to be Pachygrapsus crassipes, but I am not sure. Naughty but fun crabs. Fish selection will most likely be Dwarf Lionfish and possibly a Scorpion fish or angler. The crabs limit the invertebrate selection already, and they will be safe from those fish, so thought that would be fun. I'd do triggers, but the stoneys would be put at risk.

Again, thanks for the comments. Pictures and whatnot to come in the near future (though I guess I need to be careful as everyone wants to copy it!)

B)

Quick question....

Sometimes LR can kinda smell funky if it's in/out of water... Can you say whether or not this tank might give off a stronger smell than a traditional tank?

Oh, and I like your idea of buying a mature mangrove with some nice prop roots to make things go a little quicker.

TheChosenOne

Well, it's official...that is the coolest #### I've ever seen and I hate myself and envy you for not coming up with the same idea before you had the chance of creating such a wonderful piece of visual bliss. <run-on sentence?

pimp4cheddar

How did I miss this tank over the week...it's by far the greatest tank I've ever laid eyes on...

Awsome job!

:wonders how he could convince fiancee to buy him a volcano tank for xmas...:

• 2 weeks later...

This is just rockin my world!

I bet people can do this with biocubes aswell, just pop off the hood, and bam, there you go, but making the rock out the water wet might be problem, but i hope this idea gets your username tagged with it.

(To be honest, im loving this idea as i always found crabs fantastic, i have a whole cube dedicated to different types of crabs, my fav is the anemone crab!

I have a biocube sitting in the garage right now, my only problem with trying to transform it into something like this would be keeping the rocks on the top wet.

If you do not post more pics + video + 360 flash animation + stock list + design schematics... you will be thrashed

Woah gosh....Okay. I don't want that to happen. Since lights are off, I did "spot-light" shooting.

I will take some regular pictures soon. Added a pack of a-little-more-mature mangroves.

IMG_8145.jpg

Some polyps in the front. They are nocturnal, and they were just starting to come out....

IMG_8147.jpg

A black (purple) spiny urchin.

IMG_8155.jpg

Same urchin, just different angle.

IMG_8151.jpg

Xenia....they washed out in the camera, but I love that colony for some reason so I put it up anyway.

IMG_8152.jpg

One of the crabs. These guys are not too nocturnal, so it was amazing to get a shot in any way of one of them.

IMG_8156.jpg

Nudibranch. Colorful guy....wish I had a $2000 camera for this shot...

IMG_8163.jpg

Right side of the Volcano. Algae growth is healthy, and pokes of coraline are starting. Once I get to 5 months, my SPS are coming in!

IMG_8164.jpg

Here is a Mithrax crab, just like an Emerald Crab. Cool guy. He's actually more aggressive than the the other guys, though he is not (mostly) a protein eater like they are.

Gonna try some more spot-light shots. Maybe I will post if I get some good ones.

Night.

Got a couple more....

IMG_8178.jpg

Just a neato shot.

IMG_8179.jpg

Crazy loco shot. That is the urchin in the middle. The thing is freaky enough as it is when the picture is clear!

IMG_8186.jpg

Boring red mushrooms look cool through ripples.

IMG_8199.jpg

So, I got the crab to come out and every picture I took was awful. He went back in but at least you can see his coloring better.

Archived