ReefCleaners.org

schg's ADA 30c reef

schgr.cube

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks guys, this really wouldn't be what it is without sammys help. This is basically his tank =P

I am on hour 7 at the airport waiting for a flight home, where I will be checking out some oddball materials to skin the stand with. My dad works at a museum so he has all sorts of interesting things I could use, but right now I am contemplating bamboo plywood.

i reckon Brushed Aluminum wud be amazing, then u cud call it the iAGA 6.7G

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I have ONE picture to show you guys (not very exciting though :huh: ) and I can tell you where things stand:

This week I should have the following, as long as things go as planned:

-Sump, shipped by Sammy on 12/23/09, don't know why its taking so long.

-Wood for stand skinning, which is randomly being selected by my father from his work and being sent.

-Inside of stand painted and then marine varnished, just to make sure there is no damage.

-Holes cut in stand for plumbing, and plumbing mounted.

-Try to convince my mom to buy me ice probe, since I thought that is what I was getting anyway lol. If not, see below plan:

-Convert my Coralife halide into T5s for the actinics, then sell to afford equipment to finish tank.

Once I have all that done, the only thing stopping me is the ice probe, which i can skimp on for now if I plug the hole in the sump, but I don't want to do that. :lol:

Here is the new plumbing all ready to go:

plumbing2.jpg

That plumbing looks good (even though I don't understand half of it lol) Sump should be there anytime this week. Hope it makes the shipping with no problems. It has 1" styrofoam all around and very tight in the box.

I though you got the iceprobe for christmas :lol: too bad Santa disappointed you

That plumbing looks good (even though I don't understand half of it lol) Sump should be there anytime this week. Hope it makes the shipping with no problems. It has 1" styrofoam all around and very tight in the box.

I though you got the iceprobe for christmas :lol: too bad Santa disappointed you

LOL, yeah sorry I guess it looks crazy. Here is a diagram explaining it:

plumbingexplained.jpg

1. Threaded piece to disconnect plumbing from bulkhead, for when we move. May replace with threaded bulkhead before filling tank.

2. Check valve, in case of power failure.

3. Ball valve for if the return pump is too powerful, hoping it is to create a little flow back into the sump.

4. Union to disconnect for cleaning.

5. Elbow to direct flow in sump from return pump excess.

6. Return line that comes toward front of tank to clear inside the stand, may place union for cleaning here.

7. Barb to connect to return line, will use black vinyl tubing from pump to here.

8. Threaded piece to disconnect from bulkhead, same as #1.

9. Ball valve just in case overflow is TOO much, or to reduce noise, stop overflow, etc. Really just a precaution.

10. Union to disconnect for cleaning.

11. Exits into filter sock.

If you have any other questions about it, or if you notice any problems, let me know before it's too late! It will probably make more sense once everything is together!

LOL, yeah sorry I guess it looks crazy. Here is a diagram explaining it:

plumbingexplained.jpg

9. Ball valve just in case overflow is TOO much, or to reduce noise, stop overflow, etc. Really just a precaution.

If you have any other questions about it, or if you notice any problems, let me know before it's too late! It will probably make more sense once everything is together!

do you think it's safe to even consider throttling back the overflow without a true Herbie setup???

might end up with a big water feature in your house...

do you think it's safe to even consider throttling back the overflow without a true Herbie setup???

might end up with a big water feature in your house...

Yeah I understand that it is pretty risky, but in all honestly I will probably never touch the overflows ball valve. I am trying to put in anything that I may need for whatever reason down the line though so I can avoid future problems.

But even if there is a catastrophic failure, the entire system is only going to be about 10 gallons total, so whatever may overflow could only be a few gallons at most. Not great, but that certainly beats having 10+ gallons on the floor.

Thanks for bringing this up though, it is a great concern, I just know that this is a hard idea to pull off while keeping all of the necesseties.

looks like things are coming together nicely :)

once you get the sump in and get the plumbing all attached hopefully we will get to see this guy with water :)

I would suggest using Gate valves instead of ball valves. Other than that, it looks wonderful! You could even go back and paint the whole piping setup black to make it look at bit more finished.

looks like things are coming together nicely :)

once you get the sump in and get the plumbing all attached hopefully we will get to see this guy with water :)

Thanks man, slow but steady I guess? And yes, I hope to be doing freshwater tests sometime next week to make sure everything is running smoothly.

I would suggest using Gate valves instead of ball valves. Other than that, it looks wonderful! You could even go back and paint the whole piping setup black to make it look at bit more finished.

I was actually going to use gate valves, but with the amount of space I have they just wouldn't work. Plus for the cost, I don't think I really need them. And yeah, I had thought about spraying it all black, maybe ill give it a try.

+1 for painting the pipes. You could make a white/red or some color to make it look kinda "Bubble King" or some fancy stuff :P

Ehehe well to go with simplicity, I would probably paint it all black. But who knows, maybe I'll find something that will work well with the theme?

yay sump is here!

I'm guessing this will be a fun weekend for you, getting all the plumbing into the tank/sump. Any plans for a water test soon?

yay sump is here!

I'm guessing this will be a fun weekend for you, getting all the plumbing into the tank/sump. Any plans for a water test soon?

My side cut dremel bit snapped in the wood, so as soon as I get the holes drilled for the plumbing I can start testing... :huh: It sucks not having my tools in the same state as me.

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg Water Water Water Water!!!!

My side cut dremel bit snapped in the wood, so as soon as I get the holes drilled for the plumbing I can start testing... :huh: It sucks not having my tools in the same state as me.

You mean the holes in the bottom panel for the plumbing?

You can buy a wood holesaw kit or just the size you need. With a power drill it will be a lot easier than dremel. Even cheaper than holesaw you can buy a flat drill bit.

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg Water Water Water Water!!!!

You mean the holes in the bottom panel for the plumbing?

You can buy a wood holesaw kit or just the size you need. With a power drill it will be a lot easier than dremel. Even cheaper than holesaw you can buy a flat drill bit.

I haven't found them very cheap, and I need 3 sizes (one for the Vortech hole as well, which is 2.5"). I have a few drills, but I just can't seem to find the bits very cheap. Maybe I'll have to check online.

And I had to order new bulkheads, so either way the water will have to wait until they get here :o

your stand is majorly overbuilt. i bet it'll hold up a 24in cube

I've got 2 cats who are curious about fish tanks, and I'd rather them not topple it all over haha. But that panel in the middle is to hold all of my electronic equipment. But I guess I could have gone with a little less... :P

I finished altering the heater / float switch holder that Sammy made for me, so I figured I would show you guys. The pictures are horrible, and I will probably replace them tomorrow with some natural light ones, but here you go:

holder1.jpg

holder2.jpg

Updated the pictures. ^^^

Yay it fits now! :lol:

Actually your hole wasn't too far off when I filed the grooves in, but it still took a little bit to get it in there. I might have to go with a smaller heater though, this one is too long!

Updated the pictures.

Archived