Coral Vue Hydros

schg's ADA 30c reef

schgr.cube

i asked the hd guy at my local store what the tolerance on their saw was and he says it might be off by as much as 1/4in. He says they don't calibrate that often. Might just be the hd I go to though. Also be careful that wood isn't as thick as it is labeled so unless you measure right then and there, you're bound to be off

Well it is off by about 1/4, and it's the lengths that are off not the thickness. Oh well, I guess I'll just shim it, I don't really have many options living in an apartment.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay here is a picture of the frame rigged up:

stand.png

And heres one of the basic rock layout for the overflow, I still haven't finished epoxying or fixing the rocks to make it bit better:

standtest.png

I was just excited so I wanted to test things :lol:

Looking goood! Now get some plywood and wrap that thing already! I don;t remeber if you posted this before, but what pump are you gonna use for return? Also did you finally decide something on hanging the light?

Looking goood! Now get some plywood and wrap that thing already! I don;t remeber if you posted this before, but what pump are you gonna use for return? Also did you finally decide something on hanging the light?

Running low on funds to spend on the tank atm, our rents due in a few days :o If I can sell my bowfront then I'll have plenty to put into this one!

As far as the pump goes, I'm still not sure yet. We have a pretty decent looking one at petco for cheap, but I'll have to think on it once I figure my sump situation out.

I think I figured out the lighting, but I'll have to wait until I finish the stand. If all goes well, it won't interfere with any of the tank sides directly...

airman_verde04
Okay, I lied. It's not that hard to work with.

rockpreview.png

I need another 2 tubes probably, but tomorrow I'll fill those gaps in and work on the return rock.

I didn't know they let people keep fish tanks in jail.... haha.

following along.. this is a cool build!

Thanks!

Finished the return rock:

returnrock.png

Still need to trim up the other one to make it fit better. Will be redoing the stand this week, need to find someone local to cut the wood for me :angry:

Hey Sam, are you gonna use a check valve on that return? What are your plans when the powers goes off. The return seems like at half the tank and could cause some trouble

Hey Sam, are you gonna use a check valve on that return? What are your plans when the powers goes off. The return seems like at half the tank and could cause some trouble

Yeah I'm going to go with the same check valves I used for my 28g, they work extremely well. This time I'm going to place it lower though as on the other setup I could occasionally get a drip from not having enough pressure. Definitely nothing catastrophic though.

And thanks guys!

:o You can't sell your xbox just like that! Forza 3 just came out and Modern Warfare 2 is coming on November 10! Waaaaaaa omgomgomg

JK great to hear about the mp10 :P

:o You can't sell your xbox just like that! Forza 3 just came out and Modern Warfare 2 is coming on November 10! Waaaaaaa omgomgomg

JK great to hear about the mp10 :P

Yeah I really don't play it anymore, I only play PC games anyway lol. Plus, Diablo 3 should be coming out this year, and I'll be wayyyy too addicted to that (and combat arms) to play anything else.

Rockwork looks great! Whats the two pieces in the cornes of the sump? Looks like to hang the filter sock but why two?

I'm also in the process of redesigning my sump.Going to upgrade my skimmer as well. :D I have the basic cube done, still need to make the baffles which will wait until I get the skimmer.

Rockwork looks great! Whats the two pieces in the cornes of the sump? Looks like to hang the filter sock but why two?

I'm also in the process of redesigning my sump.Going to upgrade my skimmer as well. :D I have the basic cube done, still need to make the baffles which will wait until I get the skimmer.

Left side will contain the filter sock, and the little recess in the corner is for the return pump. Right side is going to house a tunze 9002, the digital aquatics float switch, and that other little corner piece is to hold an ice probe chiller. =)

Are you going to build your own sump?

I still don't get it though :blush: if the pump is going in the recessed thingy in the left corner then the water should be coming from the right side of the baffles along with the skimmer. Then the return area with the float switch and the ice probe? Where am I lost?

Though it will be organized something like this...

SumpSam.jpg

SumpSam2.jpg

I still don't get it though :blush: if the pump is going in the recessed thingy in the left corner then the water should be coming from the right side of the baffles along with the skimmer. Then the return area with the float switch and the ice probe? Where am I lost?

Though it will be organized something like this...

SumpSam.jpg

SumpSam2.jpg

Yeah I guess you're right, I had it backwords... you've got PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Crappy pictures, but I was bored so I wanted to do something...

DSC_0392-1.jpg

DSC_0393-2.jpg

I will be putting a ball valve on the overflow as well, I just forgot to buy another.

Acrylic will be cut on monday for the sump, so that should HOPEFULLY happen pretty soon. And I obviously still haven't redone the stand yet...lol.

PS:

sumperoo.jpg

Archived